THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

6 minutes ago, RoryGallagher86 said:

I'm blown away. Fucking unbelievable. It's a journey of a song (s) very heavy subject matter from what I gauged. 

Monsters has a VR vibe with Slashs guitar tone.

Yeah, reminds me of American Man, which I think is on one of Slash's best solos.

• Like 1

I gotta take a break from listening to these so I am not tired of it by the time its out there in better quality lol gonna take a brief detour to the Super Deluxe version of Prince's "Diamonds and Pearls" that just came out

That said I think myself and others have really needed this, some fresh GNR tracks finally

• GNFNR 2

Just now, DarkLotus1111 said:

Has anyone compare the differences between the cellphone clip and the 2023 version? What has changed?

I don't have the lyrics on the cellphone clip because my version is "vocal removed" to remove people talking aroud. But there are differences even in the instrumental. Some guitar leads harmony and stuff. Verse / Solo order and timing also

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

So we still don't know if it's coming out on streaming or not? Couldn't they at least clarify that much....

It's the best work the current line up have released so far,  it'd be fucking nuts to not release it on streaming, but that doesn't mean they won't.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VeeR said:

Have not listened all the way through yet, but by the sounds of it, the lyrics relate to some sort of abuse by someone?

Might be related to this:GS3bvVa_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

if you read axl history he was abuse so it make since The General is about axl being abuse

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah, the tone suddenly changes and there's some long slides with bend that sounds a bit like Fortus. 

I can't say I'm expert on Fortus, he seems to be able to do everything, but lacks a specific style or sound. But to my ears Slash and Fink have very distinctive tones and phrasing and nothing hear screams Finck to me.

• Thanks 1

It’s sad. I hear the makings of absolute epics, all time classics. But it’s only half of that. I really feel like Axl fell short. He wanted to use voices that didn’t make him famous… all this spoken singing and weird mega-phone effects just really bring these down. The general repeats the first verse nearly identically in the second verse.. the last 4 lines are scratch vocals or he just gave up on writing the lyrics. Fuck man I wish I could get with these tracks but the ideas Axl came up with just don’t get them there. I’m just very let down by Axl in the way he’s putting out these songs in lesser form than they could be. Perhaps became unlistenable for me because of Axls vocal takes. I can’t imagine the dudes in the band vibed with a lot of these vocal takes either.. 

• Confused 1
  • PERHAPS 1

I wonder if Me & My Elvis is the third part of the trilogy, which is why Monsters had a working title of Elvis Presley & The Monster of Soul? Has that same doomy vibe, too good of an instrumental to never have vocals added.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

Does it not bother anybody else how fucked these vocals are, for Axls standards.. the effects that he hides his voice behind.. the bizarre layering.. he has one of the best voices in music history, showcased on many CD songs… The instrumentals are absolutely amazing.. it’s the vocals that just kill it for me.. even the rasp used in the bridge of Monsters just doesn’t sound right at points.. sounds like an Axl cover singer.. just shocked 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • PERHAPS 2

The point of all, regardless this big ass songs we are all as a fandom awaiting, be releasead in this way. I mean afterwards anybody can talk about ok I prefer robins solo I prefer slash’s I like this vocals I like the other ones… at the end of the day, it is what it is. I love this new songs or maybe just one if they are going to release it both together as a whole. What is a joke is that this shit just happened. History repeating itself for the sake of what? A better mix? That is gonna sound better for audiophiles? ok I mean… 

personally these are great songs and I hope the new album includes absurd, HK, Perhaps, The General & Monsters and new never heard releases

edit: this shit meaning, an expected release and then a postpone, and to be leaked. Cmon man

Edited by valengf

I find it a whole lot to digest, I was listening with wide open mouth tje first time, and there's a lot going through my body right now. I can't really explain what I feel hearing this but it's beyond amazing to finally hear it at all! It's dark it's weird it's mysterious 

• Like 2