THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 minutes ago, DingBat said:

He? As in me?

"The General and the Monsters" is clearly the same song, no?

What songs do you know that are legally registered as the same song but aren't?

They might release them separately but they are at least, twins, no?

No, I was talking about Bucketdude. But he messaged me, he indeed heard the correct song.

6 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I really appreciate what Axl was going for in the whole Chinese era. Progressing the GNR sound forward. Trying new things. Being Bold. Being extremely personal almost to a fault. Chinese just should have been an epic double album. 

Yeah it's a massive fucking push forward really if you think about it, shame it all went south, but these tracks are really cool to hear, because they sound like CD era but with Slash and Duff (bringing their best), unlike the last two tracks.

Edited by DingBat
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mamundson said:

You are high as hell. I also bet you started liking GN’R sometime in the early mid 2000s. Sorry guys, what made GN’R great was all 87’- 93’.

No, I started liking them when I was 8 in 1991. Why is age so important to you?

Edited by DingBat

20 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I really appreciate what Axl was going for in the whole Chinese era. Progressing the GNR sound forward. Trying new things. Being Bold. Being extremely personal almost to a fault. Chinese just should have been an epic double album. 

And the ironic thing to me is, it really isn't even that far away from Slash's stylistic wheelhouse.  A song like Monsters could have easily been a Velvet Revolver song with Scott singing in that lower vocal style and Matt laying down an acoustic drum beat like Slither's intro over it

A lot of this song and something like Perhaps sounds like stuff Slash and Axl could have released in 1998 if they stayed together long enough.  Same with Street of Dreams, This I Love, CITR, etc.

So far Slash has added so much stuff back into GNR that blends the two eras together and to me it works well

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mamundson said:

You are high as hell. I also bet you started liking GN’R sometime in the early mid 2000s. Sorry guys, what made GN’R great was all 87’- 93’.

No one takes away anything from that era, but if I fell in love with Guns for those times I wouldn’t have stuck around if not for this new kind of music.

As with everything in life it’s about the journey, you know

Just now, Hirtlocker423 said:

Reading about everyone saying how bad quality they are... Whatever versions I have are extremely high quality and sound like they'd be streaming releases. Possible there's a few versions floating around?

The ones i've heard sounds like a finished song for me. Not demo at all 

7 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

The sensationalism being spewed about these tracks is mind-boggling. Are plants in this bitch?

People are excited to finally get GNR tunes we haven't heard before in various forms, I am enjoying people being hyped up and stoked about it.  I would much rather that than the alternative lol

Plus Monsters in particular to me is fantastic

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BucketEgg said:

I think I like these tracks! :D

For Monsters, it's a bit amusing that Evader's guess of "Who would do this to you" turned out to be a bunch of "ooo ooo ooos" on the real track.

I'm happy to have listened to the Evader version, and these tracks!

Nothing against Evader at all, his work was amazing, but you can hear the same “ooooo ooooo” in the party clip as I’ve said for a while now.

I wish we could get confirmation on whether or not Soul Monster is Monsters. I suppose we could try asking management or band members. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

And the ironic thing to me is, it really isn't even that far away from Slash's stylistic wheelhouse.  A song like Monsters could have easily been a Velvet Revolver song with Scott singing in that lower vocal style and Matt laying down an acoustic drum beat like Slither's intro over it

A lot of this song and something like Perhaps sounds like stuff Slash and Axl could have released in 1998 if they stayed together long enough.  Same with Street of Dreams, This I Love, CITR, etc.

So far Slash has added so much stuff back into GNR that blends the two eras together and to me it works well

Could not agree more. The guitar playing on Monsters (especially the 2nd half) is very reminiscent of Slash’s best work with VR. I wish Slash had been more open to adding some modernity to GNR back in the 90s. I thought all the loops, drum machines, and synths on CD were really cool and made the sound overall very unique on that album. It’s a shame so much time was wasted but I’m so glad we are getting this now. As always I hope there is more to come. Dying to hear what Slash does with Atlas. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

Nothing against Evader at all, his work was amazing, but you can hear the same “ooooo ooooo” in the party clip as I’ve said for a while now.

I wish we could get confirmation on whether or not Soul Monster is Monsters. I suppose we could try asking management or band members. 

It has to be Soul Monster. I cannot imagine another song having a meaner bridge than that. It’s exactly how Axl described it in the chats in 2008.