THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 minute ago, metalavenger99 said:

Are we talking about a video with 6700 views?

Not asking for links just want to know.:)

The one I listened to has about 6,300 views

Just now, ZODIAC said:

So... 2 new songs?! Wtf?! What happened? I don't get it... 

It's one song with two parts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Monsters suffers from the same issue I have with Shackler's: it starts out dark and mean, but then goes into this happy, upbeat section that doesn't fit at all.

I was thinking about this last night. At first I thought Slash was making the song sound too happy (I feel that way with the official release of Perhaps versus the darker demo), but now I feel it’s the child/main character growing up and overcoming his demons, sort of triumphing in the end? Which makes me think it’s the final part of the trilogy.

Maybe Me & My Elvis is the first part, and there’s a version with vocals out there?

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

Just listened to the 9:02 version on youtube.

First impression: bad. Really bad. Axl sounds like King Diamond at times during the General and like Ozzy on Monsters. 

No riffs again, just very boring chord progressions coated with tons of layers.

Mh. Almost anything on Chinese Democracy is better, imo.

Will have to listen again.

• Haha 2
  • PERHAPS 1

31 minutes ago, Amir said:

I was thinking about this last night. At first I thought Slash was making the song sound too happy (I feel that way with the official release of Perhaps versus the darker demo), but now I feel it’s the child/main character growing up and overcoming his demons, sort of triumphing in the end? Which makes me think it’s the final part of the trilogy.

Maybe Me & My Elvis is the first part, and there’s a version with vocals out there?

Yeah, both Axl and Slash are going in the same direction during the chorus. Its like a relief from Axl's part, like 'I told ya, i did my best but you wouldn't listen, it's not my fault' kind of thing. And Slash's complenenting and underlining the same feelings with his guitar there. Then there's this part where Axl sings like from a child perspective just to change again into expressing his pain and anger. In that context mood change makes some sense.

Edited by Free Bird
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Just listened to the 9:02 version on youtube.

First impression: bad. Really bad. Axl sounds like King Diamond at times during the General and like Ozzy on Monsters. 

No riffs again, just very boring chord progressions coated with tons of layers.

Mh. Almost anything on Chinese Democracy is better, imo.

Will have to listen again.

it will grow inside you trust me

slash has redeemed himself with this one imo

7 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Just finished work and listening on my phone speaker as my earphones are shot. I just will never understand why with that incredible voice(s) he feels the need for the multi layers, effects and burying it to where you can't make out lyrics. The This I Love remix, gimme that voice up front, man. 

Would love to hear the vocal isolated. 

Last person/production to adequately represent Axl's voice on a record was the Angel Down producer. Before that: Better/CD (the songs), imho. Perhaps sounds half decent. Effects need to serve a purpose, in case of the "leftovers" it's layers for layers' sake. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DingBat said:

Yeah, but the General is the monster. It's the same song (sort of) and that is cool as fuck. 

Exactly. I love that Beltrami's strings are woven throughout both parts. 

It's one song with two halves. The two distinct string parts we all know now make sense. The slow sweeping strings in Monsters and the more stacato parts in The General

• Like 1