THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

14 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

Wasn't there a rumoured song title years ago like "daddy will the devil harm mommy and me" or anything similar? 

daddy can * do mommy *

fear not it all went into the general, all the monsters, however we now know there's a new unheard of vault somewhere, hmm

Had a sleep, now listening again. 

We asked for an epic track, this is certainly that. I can understand how it may not be to the taste of some but it's so complex you need listen a lot to fully appreciate. 

I think it's great. Interesting to see what the final version sounds like on the vinyl/digital release. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gnrjanus said:

Slash might be good on studio. Where he prob took time to write a solo. 

But his work live is still beneath him. And i miss the slash from 2000's to 2010's

I dunno, in San Diego a few weeks ago Slash was great live!  He was the star of the show, everyone around me were super into his leads.  I think post-2016 Slash gets a bad rep

• Like 3

FUCK.

Both shocking-- but I think magnificent?

As all have stated... Gotta sleep on this. I would have much preferred to have unwrapped my Perhaps vinyl this weekend, listened and played these over Spotify as well. Got to come back to these in the car... 

This catharsis needs releasing... I love the vocal effects on the General. It's very schizophrenic. The whole thing is so creative. A strange lack of resolution on the final strings of Monster, after the soothing finale...

The artist might not like hearing this, but those vocals on Monster remind me of Michael Jackson.

These are the risks that should be taken.

• Like 1

Surely no-one can think the pre chorus and chorus vocals on The General are good? I'm pretty confident it's just a sound quality issue and the real thing will sound much sharper but the vocals in those bits are close to unlistenable to my ears 

• Like 1

Just now, rumandraisin said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the band have acknowledged the delay on Instagram with an apology saying it was due to the 'quality'. 

It is more likely than not that they wanted to tinker more... However-- (Hate playing devil's advocate) but there are plenty of issues with pressings these days. Even if they did tinker with something months ago, the turnaround time for new pressings and cut masters would have been affected.

Missed the boat either way not having this out for Halloween!

Release the fucking thing TUESDAY online and radio!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

There's a sudden change of tone during Monster's outro guitar solo in 4:03. To my ears it sounds like Richard takes over the solo from that moment on

Yes that’s correct. 
listened with headphones again, and the tone change/phrasing is definitely not Slash. So it’s either a leftover or Richard indeed for that specific part. 

12 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

There's a sudden change of tone during Monster's outro guitar solo in 4:03. To my ears it sounds like Richard takes over the solo from that moment on

Yes for sure, I believe that to be Fortus too.  That said both of their parts sound fantastic, be it Richard's ending part or Slash's really melodic middle solo

11 minutes ago, Caedo said:

Surely no-one can think the pre chorus and chorus vocals on The General are good? I'm pretty confident it's just a sound quality issue and the real thing will sound much sharper but the vocals in those bits are close to unlistenable to my ears 

The vocals on both songs could definitely use some pitch correction, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I like the vocal effects on the General. It's like there's multiple Axls.

low mellow + background higher voice, in the Daddy don't verse - Child axl

Can anybody help me verse voice - This Axl is in pain but no one can hear him.
The distortions on the voice makes it sound distant, like it's buried beneath something, or it's behind a wall, or its low quality because the signal is bad. So it's a cry for help that can't be heard clearly by others.

High clear voice in "My only regret Is that I never took the time to forget" - I think that's a somewhat older Axl, because the lyrical content sounds like he's reflecting on something. And it sounds "stronger" than the mellow voice for the child verses.

Don't know what to tell you now, Robo Axl - Someone that keeps going on like a robot, but divorced from feeling things properly. That's why robo-axl dosn't know what to tell you now. Notice that "Can anybody help me" Axl doesn't return for a third time. I think he turned into Robo Axl, because he doesn't cry for help anymore. Robots don't feel pain, he can just keep on going.

For Monsters,

"Dynamic duo, keep your figure crashing"

What do you think the dynamic duo is?

I'm thinking they're possibly two fists, and "they keep your figure crashing", because the fists are punching a person.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 2