THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Ah, I see. My thinking is that they just didn't give Beltrami a version with vocals. Possibly to keep everything on a need-to-know basis and avoid leaks.

I guess that's plausible. I think that the vast majority of the material was finished instrumentally by 2001. But the vocals are a bit of an unknown territory, because even the band members were not always (I'd say they weren't most of the time) privy to what Axl was doing after they finished recording their parts. It's evident from a few of their interviews that they didn't know if Axl had recorded vocals or not.

I separated all the tracks from both songs with AI. Drums and bass sounds exactly the same. Same snare tone, same bass tone and transient, same kick. Except the programming drums parts of course

I exctracted the 2 drums kick out of both songs, putting one over the other, revert the phase, 90% was gone. 

So, for people saying Slash is not playing on one song but he's on the other one, it can't be true. Either is playing on both, or he's not.

Edited by kitstuai
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JimiRose said:

It's a very good modern gnr rock song, would be happy for more in this vein, but the mix is SOOO loud. if it comes on shuffle it is noticeably louder than everything that came before and after, and it kinda doesn't sit well in that mix. Don't get the hate though.

Just means they mastered it louder, the mix itself is fine.

23 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Ah, I see. My thinking is that they just didn't give Beltrami a version with vocals. Possibly to keep everything on a need-to-know basis and avoid leaks.

Maybe it had vocals or maybe it didn't, but Marco Beltrami worked on a ton of shit in that period and need-to-know basis and avoiding leaks was probably not a priority in that period years before any CD stuff leaked.

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Yeah. Or they'd release the next song as GnR FT. Taylor Swift or Rihanna etc. produced by mark ronson. Want a hit? get the biggest act in the world to feature one verse and boom, you're everywhere

I thought we’d hear a collab with Lana Del Ray maybe 10+ years ago. I would have backed that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bangit said:

The song only grows on me the more is listen. Awesome. 

Not sure why people are continuing to discuss these as 2 separate tracks, it is one song. Yes it may be formed from 2 separate songs originally but it is registered as one single song with 2 distinct parts. 

I view it like the Kill Bill movies. It's fine to prefer one over the other.

22 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I guess that's plausible. I think that the vast majority of the material was finished instrumentally by 2001. But the vocals are a bit of an unknown territory, because even the band members were not always (I'd say they weren't most of the time) privy to what Axl was doing after they finished recording their parts. It's evident from a few of their interviews that they didn't know if Axl had recorded vocals or not.

I agree. And if even band members weren't getting to hear Axl's vocals, I wouldn't be surprised if that extended to non-members. I think Axl was insecure about how his voice was changing, so he was kind of hiding himself in that way.

You know what would have really amped up the screaming bridge in Monsters? The drums going into double-time. Staying at the same tempo as the slow grinding "Monsters can't get me" part doesn't do the vocals justice.

I wish I had the ability to remix the song like that. I bet Evader could do it.

Edited by evilfacelessturtle

“Monsters” could’ve easily been a VR song… even the opening gives me “Slither” vibes.

Slash is all over that track, whereas “The General” gives off more of a CD-era Guns vibe.

It’s a pretty awesome mix of the old n’ nuGuns eras, I really cannot wait till we get the official releases!!

3 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

You know what would have really amped up the screaming bridge in Monsters? The drums going into double-time. Staying at the same tempo as the slow grinding "Monsters can't get me" part doesn't do the vocals justice.

I wish I had the ability to remix the song like that. I bet Evader could do it.

I think it would be too busy. I like the way it is. 

Did anyone make a loud analysis of those tracks? Just by ear I can tell there’s a lot of clipping. Again, this is not because of the mix/master. The audio rip was fucked to begin with. 

3 minutes ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

“Monsters” could’ve easily been a VR song… even the opening gives me “Slither” vibes.

Slash is all over that track, whereas “The General” gives off more of a CD-era Guns vibe.

It’s a pretty awesome mix of the old n’ nuGuns eras, I really cannot wait till we get the official releases!!

NZ/Aussie pals… tell us if you get anything at midnight, 10/31 😉… it would be nice (and make a crap ton of sense), but alas, still have my doubts. 

Edited by GNRRHCP98

39 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

I separated all the tracks from both songs with AI. Drums and bass sounds exactly the same. Same snare tone, same bass tone and transient, same kick. Except the programming drums parts of course

I exctracted the 2 drums kick out of both songs, putting one over the other, revert the phase, 90% was gone. 

So, for people saying Slash is not playing on one song but he's on the other one, it can't be true. Either is playing on both, or he's not.

What about the vocals? How do they sound separated?

1 hour ago, bangit said:

The song only grows on me the more is listen. Awesome. 

Not sure why people are continuing to discuss these as 2 separate tracks, it is one song. Yes it may be formed from 2 separate songs originally but it is registered as one single song with 2 distinct parts. 

THANK YOU!

22 minutes ago, Bucketdude_666 said:
2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Obviously there is no concrete information to say this is what's happening, but I have seen people float around the theory that Monsters will be a B-side to Atlas and that is why it isn't listed on The General's title for the Perhaps single (and would explain the time constraints of the 7")

If that ends up actually being what they do I think it is actually a pretty cool idea.  Like, The General being this unsettling cliffhanger of a really dark and depressing situation and Monsters coming a while after finally giving the story some resolution, making it seem like a journey

Why theorising about things that can't happen, we all know The General and Monsters is 1 song

Edited by kitstuai
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

Why theorising about things that can't happen, we all know The General and Monsters is 1 song

It is presented as one long singular journey and I agree it is 1 song..... but that doesn't mean the idea that the one journey couldn't be split among two 7' inches, neither of which can house an 8 minute single song without sacrificing fidelity, is an impossible idea

Anyways, just thinking about cool ways to present these tracks that's all- having fun with it

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I think people are being way too straight laced with the whole "it is one song" thing.  Yeah it is presented as one long singular journey but that doesn't mean the idea that the one journey couldn't be split among two 7' inches, neither of which can house an 8 minute single song without sacrificing fidelity, is impossible

Man the idea of moviea being split into 2 parts must really blow people's minds :lol: 

Anyways, just thinking about cool ways to present these tracks that's all- having fun with it

Well it's because it is registered as one song. If they registered a song called "The General and Monsters", this is a title for 1 song. And I think this is the full title of "The General" that we will get in december

Edited by kitstuai

4 minutes ago, kitstuai said:

Well it's because it is registered as one song. If they registered a song called "The General and Monsters", this is a title for 1 song

While that is true, but then you have just "The General" listed on the Perhaps single description promo - not "The General and Monsters". 

So I am just theorizing cool ways to explain that difference as well as the idea that "The General" also can fit easily on a side of vinyl where "The General and Monsters" cannot without sacrificing fidelity. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is one book, one singular journey.  But the movies were split into two even though they are meant to be combined for the full story.  Just saying, it is just a theory but one that is very much plausible and makes sense

Edited by WhazUp