THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul refers to when Axl was a kid listening to Presley, as that was one of his earliest influences, while also being abused by his stepfather. It all makes perfect sense that these are two songs that are intended to be heard together which then tells one complete  story 

And Elvis Presley was the only rock music his stepfather allowed him to listen to.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Some very obvious things that people can't seem to grasp:

It's one song, we have legal proof of this

Slash is on it (or 'both' if you insist on that)

What we have isn't a vinyl rip

It's not a demo – what we'll get eventually will sound the same, the only difference will come from the quality of the file itself

Seriously, the theories beforehand were bad enough, but now we have the songs the stuff some people are coming out with is downright baffling – it's all staring you in the face 😂

Amen and spot on Do

The chorus of “The General” is a fucking beasttt absolutely brutal…and the bridge of Monster too…

Its just one song and I can get why anyone would reference Estranged…in the way they seem like 2 very clear different parts of the song. Thats the only similarity and Man, I think this stands for itself.

It definetely sounds like a movie song or concept disc song a lá The Wall or Crimson Idol 

7 hours ago, agustingloger said:

The first time You Hear a song what makes You like it is the music not the lyrics. None of My musicians Friends liked it. They hate Axl's vocals effects. They did like monsters tough. And Perhaps/Hardskool. Absurd don't

Oh well if you're "musician friends" don't like it then why are we even bothering

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

This thing about the song names is fucking with my mind. And yes i have a lot of free time now. 

We've had this titles: Leave Me Alone, Soul Monster, Monstrocity(?), Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul, Me & My Elvis, and now Monsters.

It was believed that: Me & My Elvis = Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul = Soul Monster. (And we know that the working title was Leave me Alone at an early point).

Now it turns out that the song called "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul" which Axl confirmed to be Soul monster, is different than "Me and My Elvis" found on the storage leaks. Wtf are the odds of that.

But whatever, now we know, that Soul Monster is a part of The General, or that it has been merged with The General or is the successor of it. But when did that happen?

The General+Soul Monster = As epic as Estranged? For me they are up there but anyways, at least they are similar in length. Is there any chance that these two were combined before Bach said what he said? Otherwise why would he say it? (Yeah he is kind of a meme now because according to him "Sorry sounded like doom metal" but go to Youtube and listen to Sorry without vocals, so i personally don't think he is that stupid). 

I know there is a huge debate about wether the CD2 list is real or not, so i'm not gonna take "Monstrocity" into account.

But what's the consensus now about Me&My Elvis? My bet is that someone mislabeled it on the disc that Zutaut kept for him...shame, i loved that name for that song even though we know nothing about the lyrics lol. 

Wait but this predates Beltrami's work... so maybe Me and My Elvis evolved into Leave me Alone but then Axl decided to use the old name back but adding "Soul". So finally, "Monsters" could have already existed at the same time as the rest of the Village demos, but as a rough idea, without the orchestration, and without vocals, and some dumbass mislabeled the completely unrelated instrumental we have on the village tapes as this.

Am i forgetting any important facts?

It basically doesn't matter anymore but this kind of speculation is worth a solid 50% of being a fan of this band lol

The odds for Me and My Elvis and Soul Monster being the same song were equal to them being different songs. The word "Elvis" in the title was an just an indication that they could be the same song, however most people took it as evidence and turned it into a "fact", although there were also strong indications suggesting the contrary, like that, as per Axl, the earliest working title of Soul Monster (Leave Me Alone) didn't have "Elvis" in it.

Me and My Elvis was probably just a random working title the band members that wrote the instrumental came up with, maybe an inside joke. It generally looks like that the earliest working titles were given by the band members in the case of tracks that originated from them and not Axl, whereas the tracks that originated from Axl and developed by the band had working titles that he gave them (e.g. Jackie Chan, Oklahoma); and then Axl would either change or keep the same working title the band members came up with when he would start working on the lyrics.

So it seems that Soul Monster was originally Leave Me Alone (working title) adn then Axl changed it to Elvis Presley and The Monster Of Soul when he started working on the lyrics or at least had the subject matter in his mind. And the song probably was part of the same batch of Brain tracks The General and Seven were from.

Axl seemed to refer to The General and Soul Monster as two separate songs in 2008, so it was definitely after that point that were probably paired into a two-part suite. Bach didn't compare the General to Estranged in terms of "epicness", he just said that Axl told him it was a sequel to Estranged, presumably lyrically.

As for what became of Me and My Elvis, who knows. Maybe it was completed under another title, maybe not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Oh yeah Slash should have been more faithful to the era and add fretless elephant noises nobody cares about to the middle section lol

Oh come on, we all love the wanking robot during the breakdown of ‘Better’!! 🤖 💦 

Edited by GNFNRUK

6 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

If Axl didn't no-show Philly 2002, they could have taken the world by storm. That band had so much talent, potential, and who knows how high of a ceiling. The Philly no show, which triggered the tour being cancelled as well as Buckethead leaving, is what doomed NuGNR.

Very well said. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

So it formed from two separate songs, leaked as two separate songs, but you're not sure why people are continuing to discuss these as two separate songs?

willy-wonka-really.gif

It's like schrodingers cat!!

Its 1 song definitely but its also 2 songs.

No reason for anyone to be confused!

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Bach didn't say The General was the sequel to Estranged .. He said that's what Axl told him, and Axl said it's the sequel lyrically, because it follows the theme of the short story that inspired Estranged and the November Rain music video.

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Axl seemed to refer to The General and Soul Monster as two separate songs in 2008, so it was definitely after that point that were probably paired into a two-part suite. Bach didn't compare the General to Estranged in terms of "epicness", he just said that Axl told him it was a sequel to Estranged, presumably lyrically.

Oh shit i knew i was off about something. Now, how in Axl's mind TG had anything to do with Estranged is what i don't get at all. 

1 minute ago, ©GnrPersia said:

It's quite a talent to make a wanking robot sound in addition to the thousand other techniques he knew. Better than jerking off the same blues guitar over & over ;-)

You’re preaching to the choir, I am a MASSIVE Buckethead fan. 

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

^^ Mygnrforum: the home of the only 5 people in the world who think Slash shouldn't be in GNR :lol:

I mean, all he's done since the reunion is deliver zero new tunes and rip off fans with a non-stop cash grab tour of the oldies. 7 years and no new music (releasing songs created by NuGNR doesn't count).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

I mean, all he's done since the reunion is deliver zero new tunes and rip off fans with a non-stop cash grab tour of the oldies. 7 years and no new music (releasing songs created by NuGNR doesn't count).

What bothers me the most is the NuGnr haters keep making fun of that era while enjoying the CD leftovers.

At least don't shit where you eat you ugrateful bunch :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1