THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 hour ago, uzi your illusion said:

For the guitar players on the board, in the 2nd live performance of General, was Slash's solo more faithful to the recording that we have, rather then the first time around?

Nope, he still doesn't get anywhere near the studio version. It's a shame because the solo outro in the studio version is pure perfection

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NicoRourke said:

I've asked in the lyrics thread but maybe better suited here: regarding The General's lyrics, what does "And not the sordid meaning" means, in the context of the song?

I'm not a native speaker, so not sure I'm getting the meaning right :-)

I commented this in the other thread, but I hear the chorus as this:

My only regret
Is that I never took the time to forget
All those unspoken feelings
That were never spared
At those who understand
Love deserves respect
And not disordered meaning

In this way, the lyrics make sense. His experiences had such a negative impact that his subsequent feelings weren't spared on anyone, even those who understood his pain. To put it simply, he took his anger out on people due to his unspoken feelings, even on those who either loved him or understood him, and he regrets that.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 2

Anyone have a list of songs that weren’t used on cd? Obviously theres absurd, hard school, perhaps, the general & monsters, but I use to be a detective on forums from 2002-2010 & I remember there being a bunch of song titles being thrown around. I think axl has 2 albums ready to go as of now with songs left over. He HAS to have song titles we never heard of locked away. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gnraxl13 said:

Anyone have a list of songs that weren’t used on cd? Obviously theres absurd, hard school, perhaps, the general & monsters, but I use to be a detective on forums from 2002-2010 & I remember there being a bunch of song titles being thrown around. I think axl has 2 albums ready to go as of now with songs left over. He HAS to have song titles we never heard of locked away. 

Aside from the singles they've released in the NITL era, we can assume these would've been on CD2:

Atlas

Going Down

Tonto

Cuban Skies

Nothing

Monstrocity

Thyme

OMG

2008_012.jpg.80d7e8c4258e5184dd05862b46e6c4ef.jpg

There's also titles like State Of Grace, Berlin, Down By The Ocean, Seven, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, El Guapo said:

He's VERY nice here...you can tell he thinks it absolutely sucks. :D

But really, the song itself...The General sounds like it was written in half an hour and then made  "epic" with the orchestra and all the extra stuff.

In mean, imagine they came out with something like Locomotive or Jungle next, how would The General or Perhaps compare with their minimum lyrics and sections? Mh.

I don't think it's epic at all but it has this fantastic powerful outro. It lacks another 4 minutes if greatness to bd consider an epic IMO. If they'd find a way to merge this with Monsters, maybe through a bridge or a solo than we could talk a bout ONE epic song but that's not gonna happen. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Actually, a lot of the songs on Chinese went from simple to epic because of all of their layers but even quite a few of those had some cool song structures with instrumentals, intros and outros, leads, etc. All the leftover songs sound more like leftovers because they have a lot of repetition and basic parts.

This is ok with me. I mean, the arrangement and layers do make a huge difference, and maybe the song structure was thought to be simple because of those other elements to be begin with. 

I mean, this is an extreme exemple, but look what Hans Zimmer did with Interstellar's soundtrack. 

33 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Nothing is a terrible track,  Bottom of the barrel

Nothing is just a sketch. I'm confused why anyone would put it as a potential track for an album. It's the OMG drum loop with some scratch vocals. Aside from that I can't see how that melody could be turned in to a Guns track. But there's others from the discs too that wouldn't work and probably got dropped, mostly the Bucket and Brain stuff like Real Doll. Bits of those tracks could work though. The sleazy Browns style rif in Dub Suplex at 1.30 is cool. 

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Aside from the singles they've released in the NITL era, we can assume these would've been on CD2:

Atlas

Going Down

Tonto

Cuban Skies

Nothing

Monstrocity

Thyme

OMG

2008_012.jpg.80d7e8c4258e5184dd05862b46e6c4ef.jpg

There's also titles like State Of Grace, Berlin, Down By The Ocean, Seven, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting...

What are the "L" and "V" next to the titles? Implying thay Lyrics and Vocals are still needed?

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

This is ok with me. I mean, the arrangement and layers do make a huge difference, and maybe the song structure was thought to be simple because of those other elements to be begin with. 

I mean, this is an extreme exemple, but look what Hans Zimmer did with Interstellar's soundtrack. 

Someone here once posted the demo of "Eye On You" set to the Interstellar trailer and it was pretty epic. Anyone still have that? I searched to no avail.

• Wow 1

1 minute ago, uzi your illusion said:

What are the "L" and "V" next to the titles? Implying thay Lyrics and Vocals are still needed?

No one knows. People have assumed that it could be "Lyrics" and "Vocals" but I doubt it, as we know that Atlas already had lyrics and also there's "lyr" after another song, which suggests that lyrics would be indicated differently.

Another thought is that "V" may stand for "Verse", "Ch" for "Chorus" and "Br" for "Bridge", meaning that there was still work needed to be done for those parts. But then there's no explanation for the rest ("M", "H", "L").

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

No one knows. People have assumed that it could be "Lyrics" and "Vocals" but I doubt it, as we know that Atlas already had lyrics and also there's "lyr" after another song, which suggests that lyrics would be indicated differently.

Another thought is that "V" may stand for "Verse", "Ch" for "Chorus" and "Br" for "Bridge", meaning that there was still work needed to be done for those parts. But then there's no explanation for the rest ("M", "H", "L").

Now don't laugh at this theory but...

This was 2008 before DJ joined right? I wonder if some of those letter indicate guitarists trying out & songs he wants to hear them on. They wouldn't want it to get out who was trying out would they? So why not make his notes in short hand. M i expect is for Monster given it's next to Soul (&not repeated)

V is the roman numeral for 5 which is John 5 or possibly it could stand for Vai. D is for DJ Ashba. BR is Brian May. L could stand for Lynch as is George Lynch.

:lol: Solved.

(edit) On a serious note i think Br is Brain 

Edited by Rindmelon