THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

2 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Man, imagine if that post was the first time we were introduced to The General....

Oh what could have been. I was all on board to wait, but they haaaaaaad to delay it. I had romanticized the thought of dropping a needle to listen to TG for the first time. But they delayed, it leaked and I buckled under pressure :lol:

47 minutes ago, History2010 said:

I have no idea why anyone doubted that the song would get a digital release. Fernando confirmed it would on Reddit weeks ago. I guess people are so used to being disappointed by GN'R that they assumed It would be vinyl exclusive.

Because people are neurotic. There was never any mention in the description of the Perhaps 7” that The General was EXCLUSIVE to the vinyl.  If it was supposed to be a record exclusive they would’ve advertised it as such. People just make shit up, like that the leak wasn’t the final mix 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, UncleJosh said:

I genuinely do not understand the love Better gets. I don't know how anyone gets past those Mickey vocals.

It doesn't bother me because it's always felt intentional. It's almost like a kid, the innocent side of him before the grizzled old man kicks in with the verses.

He must have done a clean voice for effect during the classic era at some point, no? Can anyone think of an example?

50 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm in the US, Michigan and the Guns store in my area ships out of Michigan and I have not gotten a shipment notice yet. 

I ordered 3 vinyls though, so it probably will take them longer to gather and package it. :P

US too, no tracking # yet. But it update to say “shipping soon.”

• Wow 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

He said hidden track. They are never mentioned. You literally went looking if a hidden track is mentioned on a tracklist, lol.

Hidden...fuck me, how desperate are u lot..it isn't happening with this release

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 22frets said:

I'm just glad Monsters got leaked too, even if it has no connection with The General. 

Knowing GnR, it is possible that even GTA VI will come out before Monsters gets officially released. :P

Imagine if monsters shows up on a GTA6 radio station in game lol

Axl was a DJ before so there's a connection... hehe ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Don’t know how any GNR fan can say “Better” sucks or is unlistenable. Killer bridge. Great outro. Cool lyrics. Catchy verses with rAsP. Blistering solo. It has everything a GNR fan would want in a GNR song. But the little high-clean “no one ever told me” intro ruins all that? LOL. OK.

Also, “Chinese Democracy” was a fine lead single. Nice intro riff. It had Axl’s trademark screech at the beginning (first time I heard the studio release, I remember getting goosebumps at that part). Leaned into his “Brownstone” style voice. Good coda on this one too.

Let’s face it. This record could have had “Estranged” or “November Rain,” and there is a large segment of the fan base who would have still tuned it out ‘cause “no Slash.”

I’m pumped “The General” is actually coming Friday. Now we wait an eternity for “Monsters”?

Agree about better. It was the obvious lead single though, I cannot believe the video and a big push never came from that song. self sabotage of highest order. It is the only song on that album that i could have seen being played on mainstream radio. CD was very much a rock song, good, but not a lead single. probably not even a single. none of the other songs were, but the success of better was all it needed to garner the interest. SOD was probably a good last single, and even though TWAT is by far the best song on the album, it is never single material. 

if we have to wait more than 3 months for Monsters, Atlas, State of grace then fuck this band. Can't be waiting till 2025. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DSTK said:

Hidden...fuck me, how desperate are u lot..it isn't happening with this release

There are some things that point to it, but I don't expect it, but just look, how in the actual fuck do you fuck up registering 2 songs as 1 on the SESAC songwriting site then. "The General And Monsters". How would it even enter someones brain to register The General that way, otherwise? Makes 0 sense.

Also when the first upload of Monsters to soundcloud was blocked it said "this upload contains audio of the song "The General" by Guns N Roses" - which would make sense if it was uploaded by GNR to the database the way it would be as audio, as one 9 minute audio, officially as The General, and Monsters tacked on "hidden" at the end and not a seperate track. So it would show up as "The General" and get blocked..like it did.

All this only makes sense if it was intended to be a hidden track. But there's no use speculating now we will find out soon anyway. What we may never find out is if it was pulled in October, due to the sound quality issues on the vinyl. But we have the leak anyway so who cares when it comes out officially, in the end.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1