THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

23 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Has anyone actually said that you should like these songs? Has anyone said that your opinions are not valid?

I could be wrong but I thought that DeNfr:s post was a response to people who act like these songs are factually bad. Nobody cares whether or not you like these songs. But if you act like it's a fact that these songs are bad, that's another issue.

I've seen plenty of people arguing that opinions are presented as facts, and then I look back, and they're just opinions.

If someone says a song is factually bad, then let them think that. What's the point in even engaging with those people to begin with? What do you gain by trying to argue with someone who has already made that kind of claim?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

I've seen plenty of people arguing that opinions are presented as facts, and then I look back, and they're just opinions.

If someone says a song is factually bad, then let them think that. What's the point in even engaging with those people to begin with? What do you gain by trying to argue with someone who has already made that kind of claim?

Well at least that El Guapo guy has been presenting his opinions as the truth and claimed that people who like The General are forcing themselves to like it. Maybe there's others who claim similar things? I don't know. I don't normally engage with people like that, but I don't mind if others do. Not sure why you were triggered by DefNr's post. He wasn't saying that you should like the song or anything like that. I think those Spotify statistics are very interesting in themselves. Who would have guessed that This I love has more daily streams than Estranged. That's pretty fascinating to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeNfr said:

talking about surprises, fun facts about the last singles "everyone hates" : 

Spotify Top Guns N' Roses Songs

- Hard Skool with 18,468,653 streaming (Don't Damn Me is 37 / Locomotive is 39)
72ABSUЯD with 7,255,993 streaming (71 Paradise City (Vegas 92) / 73 Catcher In The Rye)
80 - Perhaps with 6,090,787 streaming (79 Estranged live / 81 I.R.S)

The General isn't listed yet 

not so bad for "shitty" songs 

Hardskool is such a cool song

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Well at least that El Guapo guy has been presenting his opinions as the truth and claimed that people who like The General are forcing themselves to like it. Maybe there's others who claim similar things? I don't know. I don't normally engage with people like that, but I don't mind if others do. Not sure why you were triggered by DefNr's post. He wasn't saying that you should like the song or anything like that. I think those Spotify statistics are very interesting in themselves. Who would have guessed that This I love has more daily streams than Estranged. That's pretty fascinating to me.

Yes, I already know that. I already know no one said I should like the song. My original response was to those saying that if you don't like the song, and don't expect to like GNR's recent output, then they should go listen to other artists. A response so blatantly obvious, it didn't even need to be uttered to begin with. Everyone knows people can go and listen to other music. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

Honestly, if someone is engaging with people presenting their opinions as facts, then either they're inviting that kind of confrontation on themselves, or they just like to engage with trolls. At that point, that's their problem. Surely, anyone at this point should know that someone saying the song is factually bad wouldn't change their opinion based on Spotify streaming numbers. But hey, if they want to engage in that kind of pointless discourse, then be my guest. It's a losing battle.

18 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Yes, I already know that. I already know no one said I should like the song. My original response was to those saying that if you don't like the song, and don't expect to like GNR's recent output, then they should go listen to other artists. A response so blatantly obvious, it didn't even need to be uttered to begin with. Everyone knows people can go and listen to other music. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

Honestly, if someone is engaging with people presenting their opinions as facts, then either they're inviting that kind of confrontation on themselves, or they just like to engage with trolls. At that point, that's their problem. Surely, anyone at this point should know that someone saying the song is factually bad wouldn't change their opinion based on Spotify streaming numbers. But hey, if they want to engage in that kind of pointless discourse, then be my guest. It's a losing battle.

I agree that it's usually a waste of time to engage with people like that. So I don't really have anything more to add to this

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DeNfr said:

yup, nobody. except the artists, the companies, and everyone involved in record industry, some part of the general public and random fans.

except all of them, nobody really.

Again, nobody gives a toss apart from Americans...a point you've backed up there 

You dine out over it, nobody else worldwide does 

3 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

I enjoy Monsters and hope it gets a release, even though I'm assuming the production will be shite again. Perhaps was the sweet spot, where it wasn't incredible sounding, but it also wasn't mind-numbingly awful engineering-wise either. More of that would be good enough for me at this point.

The poor production of all of the NITL songs except for Perhaps elevated that song for me. (Not considering the far superior 2000 mixes)

10 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

I just listened to Monsters again with headphones. Holy shit that track is awesome. I just hate that an official release is probably miles away with the way this operation runs.

beginning of next year, it will come quickly

• PERHAPS 1

5 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I got my Perhaps vinyl in the mail today. It isn’t pixelated like some of the ones others received earlier. Mine says made in Czech Republic, for whatever that’s worth. I promptly stored it in my AFD Locked N’ Loaded box and will probably never look at it again. I don’t mean anything negative by that. I just don’t have a record player, but I like to collect GNR physical media. Especially when they finally, ACTUALLY, give us new songs.

The Czechs came through.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Coma16 said:

I still haven't received a shipping notification for mine yet...

I got a shipping notification on December 8th, but when I track it, it says only the label has been printed. It's a lame tactic shitty companies do. They print the label well in advanced of actually shipping it out, to make it seem like they are speedy.

1 hour ago, avahland said:

Inside information or hoping/guessing/dreaming (like me) ?

just a guess, they know we already have Monsters and it's ready to go, so I'd say march/april is a reasonable guess for the next single, I suppose they'll release another one after that and then we'll see what's next for 2025...hopefully a new album

1 minute ago, DeNfr said:

just a guess, they know we already have Monsters and it's ready to go, so I'd say march/april is a reasonable guess for the next single, I suppose they'll release another one after that and then we'll see what's next for 2025...hopefully a new album

I wouldn’t be so optimistic, they will probably release it a months into the next tour I’m afraid. 
I hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

I don’t think being on tour or hiatus makes a difference to releasing music.
Perhaps and The General came right at the end of the tour anyways. 

There was almost no promotional benefit to releasing them when they did. 

So I think more could come even with Slash on the road. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I got a shipping notification on December 8th, but when I track it, it says only the label has been printed. It's a lame tactic shitty companies do. They print the label well in advanced of actually shipping it out, to make it seem like they are speedy.

That's more than I received...

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

8 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

I don’t think being on tour or hiatus makes a difference to releasing music.
Perhaps and The General came right at the end of the tour anyways. 

There was almost no promotional benefit to releasing them when they did. 

So I think more could come even with Slash on the road. 

They did debut all of them live tho, I can’t remember if perhaps came out in platforms before the live debut. 

Edited by Lelex95
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 10:22 PM, NormisX said:

I just can't get my mind around this... did anyone from the band even listen to this mix before release?

Did anyone in the band give a thumbs up to the sleeve to Perhaps as it looks like someone's first attempt at adding text 'PERHAPS' to a photo using Photoshop and knowing nothing about how to change the font style or use the antialiased option. Were Geffen Records even involved? ..and whats with the side G and side R concept?