THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

They couldn’t even be bothered to include two live NITL tracks this time. Would have been nicer having a few more songs on the CD.

I'm guessing they'll try to milk this CD for a while. An 'EP' with live tracks next year, maybe as the 'Nightrain exclusive gift'... Hardschool had multiple versions, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same with Perhaps :shrugs:

I'm not gonna play a 4~ song CD very often, but I'd like some good live versions of Perhaps, TWAT, Anything Goes, etc to throw in a live playlist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm guessing they'll try to milk this CD for a while. An 'EP' with live tracks next year, maybe as the 'Nightrain exclusive gift'... Hardschool had multiple versions, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same with Perhaps :shrugs:

I'm not gonna play a 4~ song CD very often, but I'd like some good live versions of Perhaps, TWAT, Anything Goes, etc to throw in a live playlist.

I can’t help it, I’d buy any media this band releases if it has new stuff on it. My guess is Atlas and Monsters are next. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Ditto.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I can’t help it, I’d buy any media this band releases if it has new stuff on it. My guess is Atlas and Monsters are next. 

Monsters seems like a given, and Atlas is likely too, but I don't think they'll release those until the next tour cycle. I'd like to be wrong, but I think they'll just re-package Perhaps next year. Maybe they'll add Monsters and 3 whole live tracks onto an EP, but somehow I doubt it... :lol:

I've said it for years, if this band releases new music I'll buy it. A few bucks for a single every couple years is definitely within the budget of what I spend of records lol. If they actually do an expanded EP, I hope they press it as a 12" 45, it would sound better and they could sell it for at least twice the price of what they're selling the 7" records for.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Was Hard Skool available on Amazon for 4 quid though.

Perhaps is a Japanese import so not much of a comparison.

I don't know actually, I ordered Hard Skool from the official site at the time. 

Imports do tend to be a little more pricey, but it does seem very highly priced to me. I can see it getting a wider release though pretty soon. 

33 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I stopped our shared Spotify playlist last night dead in its tracks to make an announcement that I wanted to play an unreleased Guns N’ Roses song. I threw on “Monsters” and cranked it up loud. Then I forced people to listen to me discuss the merits of the song, the bridge, how Axl referred to it as one of his heaviest moments, etc.

I’m a lot of fun at parties.

Playing Absurd to new people at parties is a great icebreaker.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I stopped our shared Spotify playlist last night dead in its tracks to make an announcement that I wanted to play an unreleased Guns N’ Roses song. I threw on “Monsters” and cranked it up loud. Then I forced people to listen to me discuss the merits of the song, the bridge, how Axl referred to it as one of his heaviest moments, etc.

I’m a lot of fun at parties.

What was the general reaction to the track?

Man, I’m hoping at the very least they drop the live version of TG officially this year, more specifically the Hollywood Bowl performance…

Say what you want about Axl’s vocals, but damn, the band was SO into it… truly one of the best performances imo of the current lineup. 🔥 

Edited by GNRRHCP98
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gavgnr said:

What was the general reaction to the track?

They all thought it was cool. It was just a small group of folks, and everybody happens to like GNR already. Not like us nerds, but enough where this crowd is receptive of not just old Guns but Chinese too, cause I always play it.

The reason I decided to play “Monsters” is because one of my friends was telling another friend that GNR would be higher on his list of favorite bands if not for their small catalog relative to his top two (Metallica, Machine Head). So I brought up unreleased songs and I was like, “They’re sitting on a great tune right now and just won’t goddamn release it.”

Another friend who was there loves Black Sabbath/Ozzy, and he was into the verses. Agreed with me they’re Ozzy-esque. No joke, I made everyone shut the fuck up right before the bridge (“attention everyone, may I have your attention”), and I did an air guitar motion when Slash does the little lick, then I turned it up even higher while Axl went into demon mode. One of my friends was super into it, lowkey headbanging. 

We were all under the influence of the devil’s juice and other party favors too. Once “Monsters” ended, the playlist reverted right back to techno. 

This group of friends in general has an eclectic mix of music and likes most genres (except for the Metallica, Machine Head guy, who’s purely metal and ‘90s hip hop).

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

They all thought it was cool. It was just a small group of folks, and everybody happens to like GNR already. Not like us nerds, but enough where this crowd is receptive of not just old Guns but Chinese too, cause I always play it.

The reason I decided to play “Monsters” is because one of my friends was telling another friend that GNR would be higher on his list of favorite bands if not for their small catalog relative to his top two (Metallica, Machine Head). So I brought up unreleased songs and I was like, “They’re sitting on a great tune right now and just won’t goddamn release it.”

Another friend who was there loves Black Sabbath/Ozzy, and he was into the verses. Agreed with me they’re Ozzy-esque. No joke, I made everyone shut the fuck up right before the bridge (“attention everyone, may I have your attention”), and I did an air guitar motion when Slash does the little lick, then I turned it up even higher while Axl went into demon mode. One of my friends was super into it, lowkey headbanging. 

We were all under the influence of the devil’s juice and other party favors too. Once “Monsters” ended, the playlist reverted right back to techno. 

This group of friends in general has an eclectic mix of music and likes most genres (except for the Metallica, Machine Head guy, who’s purely metal and ‘90s hip hop).

Sounds like a good time! Thanks for sharing the music with them. Wish I had more friends like that. 

I should get my Japanese CD singles soon. One to open, and the other, hmm I really don't need it in my car since I can burn the 4 "new" songs on a disc for myself. I think I'll give it to my dad for his upcoming birthday later this month. Wish it had Monsters on it! Would make the CD 33% cooler lol. 

• Like 3