Tour is (almost) over - where do we go now?

5 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Where did Eddie say this?

I think Slash and Duff could come up with some really cool stuff together, which might inspire Axl creatively also. And if they got with a good producer then I think they can still make one last good album.

No, SMKC is doing another album after this tour. As long as Myles and the rest of the guys are available and interested SMKC will be around in some form or another.

Where did you hear about a new album after this tour? It was very clear that Myles was uncertain about the future of SMKC in the interview that he gave. 

12 hours ago, UYI4 said:

Here’s what I’d like to see.  Take their time off.  Release some stuff.  Get re-releases of spaghetti/lies on vinyl.  Release shit loads of video footage in some form.  When they reunite do new album or new and old songs if need be.  Then tour.  However, don’t do 28-32 song sets.  There’s no need.  Tour with other bands and play 15-18 songs.  Fluctuate hits.  Interweave songs they don’t play as much from all albums with new songs.    Maybe not close with paradise city and not open with its so easy.  Just switch it up.  Either way not play as long of shows.  I think it will really help Axl’s voice.  Hell Metallica doesn’t even do that many songs. 

I believe you are incorrect with Metallica. I saw them at MetLife this summer. What they did was they broke it up into 2 nights rather than one concert. Each night was 2 hours. They played a total of 32 songs for 4 hours that had a different setlist. They gave Hetfield a break  between the shows. They played Friday and Sunday then gave Hatfield Saturday to recuperate. I think this could be a good approach for GNR to give Axl a break in between the shows when they go back on tour. 

Edited by Draguns
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

I believe you are incorrect with Metallica. I saw them at MetLife this summer. What they did was they broke it up into 2 nights rather than once concert. Each night was 2 hours. They played a total of 32 songs for 4 hours that had a different setlist. They gave Hetfield a break  between the shows. They played Friday and Sunday then gave Hatfield Saturday to recuperate. I think this could be a good approach for GNR to give Axl a break in between the shows when they go back on tour. 

Yeah I think prior to these newer types of shows though they weren’t doing as many songs.  I could be wrong. 

A hiatus is earned. If they take 2024 off it isn't much of a big deal. I still don't see Axl hunkering down with the gang to write ~10 new songs for a new record, so what is the big deal if they take some time off?

Barring COVID, they have been a consistent touring fixture for almost 8- years. They have played everywhere the market calls for multiple times across multiple world tours. They have a 2.5- 3- hour set with some deep cuts and "new" tracks dusted off. I know Axl's voice has been an issue, but overall, it has been an excellent era for the band. It is crazy that it has been closer to a decade since Slash and Duff rejoined.

They have been on- time with essentially zero drama the entire run. I would have loved more of Steven and some Izzy, but I understand now why they went in the direction they did. The band has become a professional touring juggernaut that seems to straight up get along, on- stage and has at least mutual respect (at worst) for each other, off- stage. All things considered; the reunion has been extremely successful- probably one of the most successful reunion stories in rock history. Who would have thought that was going to happen in 2015? 

As much as I would love for them to write, it may not be that realistic. I don't know if Axl is interested in that. I hope they take some time to recharge, and that Axl works out some ways to help his vocals for when they come back. Maybe that means singing lower, more or further down tuning songs. Either would probably work. I also hope they release some more songs. We still have Monsters to officially come out after the Perhaps/General record. I would bet that comes out with hopefully a few more when they return. They might even do some shows in 2024, who knows? 

I definitely don't think this is the end, though. That is crazy to me, there is no incentive for them to stop. Morale seems high in the band, they all look great and have a lot of energy, and they are raking in the money. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silence said:

I agree the setlist could be much shorter. A GNR/Metallica tour would be perfect. 

Yeah I mean I’m all for long GNR shows, but if they could maybe play their some of their bigger singles and then swap out other random songs/hits it may be easier on Axl.  Also they could do some killer lineup tours with other bands.  By the looks of it though sounds like they’ll be on a break for a year or two.  My guess is smkc will tour, and do another album.  Especially with Creed going out on tour.  Alter bridge will be done for quite a while I think.  This opens up miles time

10 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’m always pleasantly baffled when people say they want their favorite bands to play LESS songs and spend LESS time on stage when they pay to go see them live 😯 I got nearly 3.5 hours in AC in 2012 and Philly in 2017 and it was glorious. 

I agree. I love the marathon sets. I'm not sure that the average casual fans do, but the hard core fans seem to. However, shorter sets are bound to happen, at the very least to save what's left of his voice. Guns' songs are not easy to sing. Damn near every one of them have multiple tempo and octave changes. I've seen Pearl Jam more times than I like to admit. They've been known for marathon sets most of their career, and they've cut them down considerably...some shows just barely over two hours. Supposedly Matt Cameron can't handle the long sets anymore. Jam bands can do it until they're 80 years old because they stand around all night amd certainly don't have Axl style vocals. I do personally think that it's ridiculous that Metallica only plays 16 songs a night. James doesn't sing like he used to, and can easily do more than that.

Edited by GoBucky
Double post
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

I agree. I love the marathon sets. I'm not sure that the average casual fans do, but the hard core fans seem to. However, shorter sets are bound to happen, at the very least to save what's left of his voice. Guns' songs are not easy to sing. Damn near every one of them have multiple tempo and octave changes. I've seen Pearl Jam more times than I like to admit. They've been known for marathon sets most of their career, and they've cut them down considerably...some shows just barely over two hours. Supposedly Matt Cameron can't handle the long sets anymore. Jam bands can do it until they're 80 years old because they stand around all night amd certainly don't have Axl style vocals. I do personally think that it's ridiculous that Metallica only plays 16 songs a night. James doesn't sing like he used to, and can easily do more than that.

I love marathon sets when the songs are fresh. If that means I get TWAT or Locomotive someday, I am all for keeping them. I actually caught a "super marathon" set in 2017 where they did around 3.5 hours. That is definitely too much for casuals, and even I was tired- but I got a ton of rarities (Some of which I'd only heard once out of 10 GNR gigs). 

I don't know how much they affect Axl's voice. I think it is just where he is at these days. I'd rather see Axl sing lower or songs down tuned than a shorter set. Then again, if a shorter set helps his voice, I am all for that. 

It is kinda funny, I was at the second Hollywood bowl show and it was considered a "short" GNR show- it was still every bit of 2.5 hours!

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I love marathon sets when the songs are fresh. If that means I get TWAT or Locomotive someday, I am all for keeping them. I actually caught a "super marathon" set in 2017 where they did around 3.5 hours. That is definitely too much for casuals, and even I was tired- but I got a ton of rarities (Some of which I'd only heard once out of 10 GNR gigs). 

I don't know how much they affect Axl's voice. I think it is just where he is at these days. I'd rather see Axl sing lower or songs down tuned than a shorter set. Then again, if a shorter set helps his voice, I am all for that. 

It is kinda funny, I was at the second Hollywood bowl show and it was considered a "short" GNR show- it was still every bit of 2.5 hours!

True. They could easily tune down the songs and most of the audience wouldn't notice it. If I'm not mistaken, every GnR song is in regular tuning, so going 1 or even 1.5 steps down would really make Axl's life easier. Plus, the guitars would get heavy as fuck :lol:

27 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Absolutely. I don't want to sound spoiled, but I walked out wondering if something happened since that show was shorter...even though it was still longer than the majority of bands do. I saw 4 shows on this leg, and none were the same. They certainly weren't completely different like Pearl Jam does, but getting Locomotive, Street of Dreams and Madagascar actually made the first LA show feel very fresh. I've seen Guns 40 times now since the Alpine Valley shows in '91, and said I was only going to go to my local show at Wrigley this year. The setlists in the middle east/Europe changed my mind, and I'm glad they did. Fenway was insane with the monsoon rain, it was 110 degrees at Wrigley and the classic venue in LA made all four special, and even with Axl's diminished vocals, all four were fantastic shows. I'll be very sad if they're actually winding things down like some people think. 

21 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

Absolutely. I don't want to sound spoiled, but I walked out wondering if something happened since that show was shorter...even though it was still longer than the majority of bands do. I saw 4 shows on this leg, and none were the same. They certainly weren't completely different like Pearl Jam does, but getting Locomotive, Street of Dreams and Madagascar actually made the first LA show feel very fresh. I've seen Guns 40 times now since the Alpine Valley shows in '91, and said I was only going to go to my local show at Wrigley this year. The setlists in the middle east/Europe changed my mind, and I'm glad they did. Fenway was insane with the monsoon rain, it was 110 degrees at Wrigley and the classic venue in LA made all four special, and even with Axl's diminished vocals, all four were fantastic shows. I'll be very sad if they're actually winding things down like some people think. 

Well, something did happen- Axl ran out of gas lol. He wasn't even singing the chorus to Paradise City by the end. I feel like back- to- back nights are too much, now. It is okay, it was still a good time and The General debut made it a very special show. That is awesome you got Locomotive! I still haven't gotten that one. I got SoD in 2010,2011,2012 and Madagascar at all those shows + 2017. I saw them twice this tour including Boston. Fenway was a fucking BLAST. I loved that gig. The rain was insane, and it made Slither and Jungle extra special somehow. I thought Axl sounded a lot better that show than he did at the Hollywood Bowl. Funny enough, Fenway was "short" too because of the curfew. That is awesome you have seen them so many times and in '91!

28 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

True. They could easily tune down the songs and most of the audience wouldn't notice it. If I'm not mistaken, every GnR song is in regular tuning, so going 1 or even 1.5 steps down would really make Axl's life easier. Plus, the guitars would get heavy as fuck :lol:

They are usually down half a step so idk how they would sound down tuned, but they could try it 

Edited by ZoSoRose

I'd expect maybe close to two years off unless they get a big offer for a festival. But I doubt they will as they hit many of them this year anyway.

Another option is that this is it. It's grim to think about but a lot can happen in two years. Hell they could even fall out again at some point for all we know.

We'll get the 7" and that Schenker song next year. Maybe that was a chance to just get Axl and Slash to work on something and "See how it goes". I believe they will try to do an album of new material but I doubt it will come to pass, I hope I'm wrong.

There are positive's from this year. We got a high quality level Pro shot in Glastonbury that makes the Heaven & Hell fest look like it was shot with a potato. We got Perhaps and a music video for it. A setlist that had songs nobody saw coming, leaks of The General & also Monsters and they played The General live which is not something I think anyone would have guessed at the start of the year.

It's not all bad.... However it's not all good either. Many who moaned about his voice in the CD era now yearn for it. My interest as always is in the studio material & I hope we hear more of it..

No matter how it occurs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’m always pleasantly baffled when people say they want their favorite bands to play LESS songs and spend LESS time on stage when they pay to go see them live 😯 I got nearly 3.5 hours in AC in 2012 and Philly in 2017 and it was glorious. 

I'd prefer 18 songs with a solid performance than 30 on Mickey. This is supposing it would help Axl's voice. My best guess is downtuning would be more effective, probably. Perhaps both.

Is anyone else a bit mentally checked out of it all at the moment? 

We have The General, as well as Monsters and it feels to me a bit like that's it now- I don't have any faith in a new album ever being written and recorded so it feels a bit like the end. 

Strange feeling- like when you finish a book. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I really don't get the mentality that GNR is over. There are positive vibes coming from the band. Yet, some people here are thinking and insisting that  this is the end. 

I'll probably won't be checking this website as often as I did during the last 7 years while GNR is on break. When I'm fully recovered from the broken foot, I have other things that I need to get done. I have also made myself a promise. No matter what happens with my parents when GNR comes back, I'm going to see the next GNR tour. If something happens to one of them when GNR is in the NJ/NYC area then I'll travel  to see them. 

Edited by Draguns
typo
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Btw, does anyone know if Duff stated that GNR will be away for 5 years? I just had someone respond to my Facebook post on the GNR page that stated that this was not a vacation and that Duff stated that GNR will be gone for 5 years. 

I haven't heard of any such statement coming from Duff.

I hope an album, or an EP at the very least. Perhaps not getting a CD is a good sign we will get an EP bigger than the last one. Perhaps, Atlas, Monsters and The General with 4 (or whatever) live songs on a CD, I can live with that.

But, an album would be best case. 

And a tour late 2024 or 2025 where they come back to Detroit!

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I hope an album, or an EP at the very least. Perhaps not getting a CD is a good sign we will get an EP bigger than the last one. Perhaps, Atlas, Monsters and The General with 4 (or whatever) live songs on a CD, I can live with that.

But, an album would be best case. 

And a tour late 2024 or 2025 where they come back to Detroit!

I do think that's why there is no CD for it tbf. CD's i think are cheaper to produce, I also think they would sell more than the 7". I would expect the post Chidem songs compiled on something at some point. I would think they would also be remastered or else they would sound too disjointed. We shall see.

But Sweersa I suspect bad news for you no :bucket: or :robin: or even :dj: or :bbf: it will all be :slash: and :4tus:

• Wow 1