Tour is (almost) over - where do we go now?

17 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Duff wants to tour off his new album and Slash is going back to Miles Kennedy and that band.

Axl will probably take a long vacation.

Maybe a new album will come sometime next year.

I read John 5 thinks Motley Crue and GNR should tour together. Guess he doesn't know the history of these two bands. Anyway, who would headline GNR will want to headline. I know MC and DL both changed off.  I doubt this will ever happen. lol

I do hope either next year or 2025 GNR comes back to Dallas TX.  I know next year a lot of bands Iron Maiden and The Scorpions are having huge tours.

Guns will not open for Motley there is no doubt about that maybe if they were to get a bigger split of the money then perhaps they would but no I dont see a joint tour happening at all.  Motley need it more than Guns at this point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

Guns will not open for Motley there is no doubt about that maybe if they were to get a bigger split of the money then perhaps they would but no I dont see a joint tour happening at all.  Motley need it more than Guns at this point

gnr are more popular than motley crue, there is a reason  for having gnr and not motley in powertrip festival.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Does beg the question, what was stopping any of this year's events happening in 2017 or 18 and so on. 

The reunion seems to have been originally only about touring, so 2016-2017 was the "reunion (nostalgia) tour".

But regarding after 2018, yes, they could have done all this sooner. I think Slash wanted to release and tour "Living the Dream" which had already been semi-recorded but was pushed back because of the reunion, and Duff wanted to do solo stuff too. In 2019 they started rehashing the CD leftovers and 2020 would have been the year of starting releasing them, but Covid came, so it was all delayed and Slash recorded another SMKC album.

The problem is the very slow pace these are being released (two songs in 2021, nothing in 2022 and then two more in 2023), which, combined with the fact that the first two songs that were released in 2021 were songs we had heard made a portion of the diehard fans lose faith. And, of course, the elephant in the room is writing brand new material, which hasn't happened yet.

19 hours ago, meadsoap said:

I'm still wary of that rumored of a long break (meaning longer than a year). Slash words keep ringing through my head, where he said there was "one last leg of the tour before were free to start working on a new album" .

He said that in 2022, and I think these past shows are the last leg he was talking about. So maybe they come back to tour, or maybe Slash words were very literal and this is the "last" lag and we've come to the end of the road.

Slash said that in 2022 (October), but was definitely talking about the 2023 tour:

Slash: Well, I mean, I want to go in and cut a whole brand new record at some point, probably sooner than later. But other than that, we have stuff that we still got to come out, so that’s gonna be coming out piecemeal over the next… I don’t know, over the next few months or something like that. So that’s basically it. We have one more tour left to do next summer, and then that will free us up to be able to go in and work on a new record. So, you know, I’ll keep you posted.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t7509-2022-10-19-sirius-xm-s-trunk-nation-interview-with-slash

• Like 4

I hope that the next time they tour, I'll be able to see them and that NOTHING comes in the way like it did this year.  I think there will be new songs written by the current version of GNR. Everything is happening according to what Slash has said even though it's taking time. 

My prediction….like how Earthshattering, lol,

They will finish their Never Ending Tour in this Lifetime for now.

Enjoy their home lives, regular routines of regular life, personal other business interests, and then start up this Never Ending Tour again. 2025.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Eddie Trunk said that Slash told him off the record a few weeks ago that this last leg has been his favourite since 2016.

Can totally see why....it's been a great tour! Headlining Glastonbury would be absolutely momentous any year but it's only one of many highlights this year....definately the best reunion year overall, taking in the full package...

Axl has been more genuinely fired up this year than any other IMO...even 2016!! Now, obviously his voice was in better shape then (DC and all) but in terms of energy and mojo, chatting, jokes, etc....that hasn't been like this since, I dunno early 2000 if you ask me...and doing it all with Slash and Duff either side of him, it gives a warm and fuzzy feeling, gotta be said. More to say later....

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I don't know what the future may hold, but I do want to give Glastonbury a mention. I tuned in fearing the worst, but instead got probably the most enjoyable night of the reunion. 

After years of Axl kinda hiding behind the hats and the glasses (2010-2014), and appearing on autopilot from 2017/8 onwards it was amazing to see him so full of energy again. There he was, my childhood hero had returned. Out front, running about, giving his absolute all. I don't know what changed but on this tour Axl seemed to get his mojo back. That fire in his eyes that had been missing for years was back.

This can not be stressed enough, you're absolutely right.

On 11/3/2023 at 1:34 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Duff wants to tour off his new album and Slash is going back to Miles Kennedy and that band.

Axl will probably take a long vacation.

Maybe a new album will come sometime next year.

I read John 5 thinks Motley Crue and GNR should tour together. Guess he doesn't know the history of these two bands. Anyway, who would headline GNR will want to headline. I know MC and DL both changed off.  I doubt this will ever happen. lol

I do hope either next year or 2025 GNR comes back to Dallas TX.  I know next year a lot of bands Iron Maiden and The Scorpions are having huge tours.

Motley Crue was a nearly dead band for a while until they had to use the farewell tour title to get asses back in the seats. There is no chance that Motley even headlining one show over Gn'R would be discussed. I hope to never see Gn'R share a stage with those clowns. 

• Like 3

What I think will happen:

they’ll release a live dvd and probably a single or EP of atlas/monsters around mid next year.

No new album.

Nostalgia world tour at the end of 24 early 25. Then they’ll retire GnR as a touring outfit. 

what I want to happen:

Axl to take a year off to rest his voice and get a decent vocal coach.

CD leftovers Album to clean the slate for writing new shit.

AFD5 reunion and world tour with a new album written by AFD5.

UYI concert releases on blu ray and perfect crime doco.…………..

…………..a man can dream, right?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Well, whatever happens....you have to give Axl massive kudos for what he's put into these past few years of touring. The guy has gotten back to being fit in his 60's, playing grueling back to back dates for 3.5 hrs - 51 shows in 6 months....that's just incredible. He has turned it all around and rehabbed his reputation in a major way. We are talking about a guy who would delay a show for hours if he didn't get a lamb dinner with yorkshire pudding as recently as a decade or so ago. Needless to say, Axl gives much mirth to some of us as a source of mockery - but one must give this man his dues. He has killed it on this tour and so he deserves all the respect for that. It looks like Slash's work ethic and fan service has finally started to influence Rose which is great.

As far as the other stuff - music, releasing material...it is what it is. They don't like to release stuff, they half-ass a lot of the releases, they have horrible management - we know this already. They will never be a high quality high functioning band like Metallica. We've all had years to grieve and accept the state of affairs for what they are. So all that said, one can hope that Axl can let go of his Chinese Democracy era and just drop all the demos and finished tracks as a box set. Just get it out there man. I guess they insist on drip feeding it track by track every year. Fine, I guess we'll take whatever we can get. The real hope is they just release the true treasure trove - the live shows and footage from the AFD and UYI tours. How much we'll get is anyone's guess as it appears the band is wisely trying to avoid scrutiny of their past (see Duff's interviews around the Me Too movement) rather than embracing their past as one of the most debauched and wild bands on earth. So what we get from that vintage era is anyone's guess.

As far as a new album - these guys are way past their prime, it would take a herculean effort from them to make a half decent album. All of them would have to radically up their game and they'd need to get a real producer, not just a yes-man without the balls to tell them something sucks and needs to be redone or left on the cutting room floor. Even the CD rejects are far below the quality of what ended up on Chinese Democracy so my expectations are low here. I think one more final tour and a final one-off show with the AFD-5 would be a great way to go out at this point. Just release whatever chinese outtakes that are left to keep the momentum going. There's no need for new music at this point because all it can do is blemish their near-perfect track record. Someone mentioned on another thread that it would be perfect in keeping with GnR's tradition to just disappear completely off the map a la 1994 after the final show in Mexico - we never hear from Rose again as he leaves the scene in mystery. That would be a fine ending to this story if you ask me. This is an enigmatic band and they did things their way - so leaving with no warning or fanfare, that seems very GnR in spirit.

Although, to me, some of these CD "leftovers" are better than even half of CD - especially these last ones are up there with the best songs on CD - I completely agree about letting that era go. It has dragged on for so long that it's ridiculous. It's crazy to think that Axl told Bach in 2006 that The General would be released in 2012 and that looked so far in the future, and that song is being released in 2023 (better late than never and it's great that these songs are being released, but...). I wish Axl just decided to finally close that chapter by putting everything out within, say, the next year (first the rest of the rehashed songs by Slash and Duff, and then all the original demos etc. in a box set or even just a digital package).

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it could be good if they disappeared, but as much as I want them to write new music (which is mostly being curious to see if they can do it and what they can do), I would be equally, if not more, interested in Axl doing something outside of GN'R and even if he let go of GN'R completely, e.g. if he went solo or wrote instrumental music or became a producer etc. But of course I don't expect any of that to happen. I just expect them to slowly release the rest of the reworked CD era songs and continue touring, probably after a one or two year long break, as long as Axl's voice holds up to a level of weak-hitting the high notes. After that, it will probably be the time that he opens the vault of the classic era (we've already gotten something, though - the Ritz blu-ray was awesome). I think that the UYI movie will eventually see the light of the day, even earlier than that. The main issue with it is not the controversial stuff (they can easily censor it, after all), but that it appears that it exists only in the form of, likely, hundreds of hours of unedited footage. So they would need to hire someone to go through all that and edit it, and then sit with them and choose what they want to be in it.

As far as the near future, I expect more or less the same that has happened before when GN'R took a break from touring: Slash and Duff will be out there doing stuff and Axl will disappear from the public eye, or maybe he'll show up at another Carrie Underwood show. I'm curious to see what he has recorded for that Schenker album. I'm also interested in hearing what Slash has done with his new "blues-oriented" solo album - and they super tiny chance of Axl being on it would be something to be excited about.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Although, to me, some of these CD "leftovers" are better than even half of CD - especially these last ones are up there with the best songs on CD - I completely agree about letting that era go. It has dragged on for so long that it's ridiculous. It's crazy to think that Axl told Bach in 2006 that The General would be released in 2012 and that looked so far in the future, and that song is finally released in 2023 (better late than never, but...). I wish Axl just decided to finally close that chapter by putting everything out within, say, the next year (first the rest of the rehashed songs by Slash and Duff, and then all the original demos etc. in a box set or even just a digital package).

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it could be good if they disappeared, but as much as I want them to write new music (which is mostly being curious to see if they can do it and what they can do), I would be equally, if not more, interested in Axl doing something outside of GN'R and even if he let go of GN'R completely, e.g. if he went solo or wrote instrumental music or became a producer etc. But of course I don't expect any of that to happen. I just expect them to slowly release the rest of the reworked CD era songs and continue touring (probably after a one or two year long break) as long as Axl's voice holds up to a level of weak-hitting the high notes. After that, it will probably be the time that he opens the vault of the classic era. I think that the UYI movie will eventually see the light of the day, even earlier than that. The main issue with it is not the controversial stuff (they can easily censor it, after all), but that it appears that it exists only in the form of likely hundreds of hours of unedited footage. So they would need to hire someone to go through all that and edit it, and then sit with them and choose what they want to be in it.

Well Axl kinda did went solo with Chinese Democracy, though. 

Just now, Blackstar said:

Yes, but he didn't see it that way and he did it under the GN'R name. I'm thinking it more along the lines of him doing something outside the GN'R name.

I doubt that he'll ever go outside the GNR name. He had the opportunity to do so and didn't. It's too late.  I'll always think that it was the wrong business decision for him to be a solo act under the GNR name. The GNR name could have been put in hiatus and would have freed him  to do whatever he wanted with music. That's water under the bridge now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DoMw94 said:

I don't understand why anyone things the end is on the horizon for the band. They've given no indication that they're going to call it a day, and when you look at other, similar bands, they're way too young to retire. They've got at least another 10 years in them. At least.

Looking at their energy at the moment, and how happy they all seem to be, I'd say if anything, they're just getting started. There'll be a year off, then more of whatever from 2025.

I agree with you! Someone mentioned that Slash told Eddie Trunk off the record that he was very happy with this tour. I think there's more to come. If anything, I think SMKC ends after April. Myles definitely seemed unsure that it'll continue. 

• Like 1