Slash leaving Marshall for Magnatone?

17 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The article does say that it's not clear if Slash will ditch Marshall. As it mentioned the SKMC tour, maybe he would still stick to Marshall with GNR?

Do you know anything about Magnatone? I don't think I've ever heard one.

I think he’s been using magnatone already on the last tour. They’ve prob built him an amp close to his Marshall specs and even throw the same celestion speakers in the cab  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

The article does say that it's not clear if Slash will ditch Marshall. As it mentioned the SKMC tour, maybe he would still stick to Marshall with GNR?

I like Magnatone but they’re expensive. I almost bought a Super Fifteen but opted for a mini Jubilee a few years back (which I’ve now traded for an Orange OR50)

16 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Not a fan of either Marshall or Magnatone. Gimme a Fender Bassman best amp ever.

But a Bassman is like a Marshall :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Bassman = twang, Marshall = crunch. Not the same.

If you turn up a Bassman, it is definitely crunch. Marshalls are based off of Fenders, especially the Bassman. 

The Bassman is like an early JTM45, which of course, paved the way for the 1959SLP and then the JCM800- which we all love with Slash. 

53 minutes ago, Ant000 said:

I wonder if this like John Mayer switching from Fender to PRS and having them build a Strat for him. 

It will definitely be similar. They will design this 100- watter to his specs which will be crunchy like his Jubilees... probably. I am sure they will sound good, although probably very similar. I am guessing his tone won't change all that much, but it will be strange knowing he is not using Marshall

It definitely probably partially came with Richard, which I think is cool. It is really neat that Slash and Duff formed such a bond with one of "Axl's guys". I trust Slash with his tone. They are nice amps. He will probably still have his Marshalls on tour, too

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

The most interesting thing Is that he used that thing in the studio. I hope doing something for GNR

He has that blues album slated next, right? I am pretty sure he used his vintage Silver Jubilee on the GNR songs but I could be wrong 

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

2 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

I think he’s been using magnatone already on the last tour. They’ve prob built him an amp close to his Marshall specs and even throw the same celestion speakers in the cab  

Yeah he had Magnatones in his rig for the US tour that just ended.

49 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

The most interesting thing Is that he used that thing in the studio. I hope doing something for GNR

It was when he did the Schenker recording.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

It definitely probably partially came with Richard, which I think is cool. It is really neat that Slash and Duff formed such a bond with one of "Axl's guys". I trust Slash with his tone. They are nice amps. He will probably still have his Marshalls on tour, too

It's so funny how people around here try to build the narrative that Slash hates Richard or Frank and is only doing this for the money when the band all seem to love one another and get along great.  Richard has even gone to SMKC shows.  

I'm sure Richard is a lot happier playing with Slash than Ashba 🤣

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

It's so funny how people around here try to build the narrative that Slash hates Richard or Frank and is only doing this for the money when the band all seem to love one another and get along great.  Richard has even gone to SMKC shows.  

I'm sure Richard is a lot happier playing with Slash than Ashba 🤣

Don't underestimate Ashba - he's the best guitarist on the planet, no cap

I think this is exactly how an iconic guitar player slowly looses his signature tone: First, they stop using their original guitars to use replicas of their most iconic one, or even their signature series. Then, they ditch the original pedals they used for a sponsored brand or a signature line. Finally, they get new sponsored amps or, like before, their own signature line. Combine the change of guitar, pedals and amps, you can get a different tone, even if they're specifically designed to recreate your sound. Hope this is not the case. It happened a lot throughout rock history.

14 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah he had Magnatones in his rig for the US tour that just ended.

Just the US? I don't think I noticed much difference, but I do prefer his tone now than the 2016-18. 

4 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I think this is exactly how an iconic guitar player slowly looses his signature tone: First, they stop using their original guitars to use replicas of their most iconic one, or even their signature series. Then, they ditch the original pedals they used for a sponsored brand or a signature line. Finally, they get new sponsored amps or, like before, their own signature line. Combine the change of guitar, pedals and amps, you can get a different tone, even if they're specifically designed to recreate your sound. Hope this is not the case. It happened a lot throughout rock history.

I think it's fine. If Slash plays a strato plugged in a 90s zoom 505 and it will still sound like Slash. Worse, but still him. 

Having said that, I still wish he had his 90s tone back. With all that nostalgia in the other thread, I've been listening to Snakepit a lot. I miss that tone.

I wouldn't be too worried - he still relies on the Derrig in the studio and don't see that ever changing.  Like said above, Slash is going to sound like Slash no matter what he is playing through, especially with his Derrig plugged into a JCM 800 or Silver Jub.  From an equipment standpoint [particularly amps/ effects] there is so much more out there than 30 years ago so its natural that any musician is expanding/ experimenting with their tone palette.  Wonder if he had the Magnatone in his rig on this last tour run?  I saw them in Houston and his tone was spectacular [Richard's as well].  I think his tone sounded better on this tour than it has since he got back with GNR. 

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Just the US? I don't think I noticed much difference, but I do prefer his tone now than the 2016-18. 

I think it's fine. If Slash plays a strato plugged in a 90s zoom 505 and it will still sound like Slash. Worse, but still him. 

Having said that, I still wish he had his 90s tone back. With all that nostalgia in the other thread, I've been listening to Snakepit a lot. I miss that tone.

56 minutes ago, dallasgnrfan said:

I wouldn't be too worried - he still relies on the Derrig in the studio and don't see that ever changing.  Like said above, Slash is going to sound like Slash no matter what he is playing through, especially with his Derrig plugged into a JCM 800 or Silver Jub.  From an equipment standpoint [particularly amps/ effects] there is so much more out there than 30 years ago so its natural that any musician is expanding/ experimenting with their tone palette.  Wonder if he had the Magnatone in his rig on this last tour run?  I saw them in Houston and his tone was spectacular [Richard's as well].  I think his tone sounded better on this tour than it has since he got back with GNR. 

At least the US tour he used them, Meegan had posted pics in her story at one point and you could see them in the rack.

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

I’m worried by this. The amp is a huge part of your tone. I hope it sounds good. 

Was he definitely using these on the last SMKC tour? If so I’ll go watch some videos. 

8 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Watch the Boston show House Of Blues

No he was using Jubilees on the last 2 SMKC tours.

• Like 1