Axl Sued For Sexual Assault

10 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Y'all come up with an "ism" term to describe anything you disagree with as if its some kind of ideology. "The world was different" is a statement so vague as to be meaningless. Did the concepts of right and wrong not exist then? Nobody knew rape was bad in 1989?

The "pastism" ideology you're pushing is the idea that we cannot gain wisdom and view the past through our wiser lens of the present. Your comment is inherently contradicting itself.

I wasn’t talking about sexual assault (or any violent crime for that matter). I was talking about Duff. And “we” wouldn’t have had to come up with a term to describe xennials crying about what a celebrity or someone said 30 years ago if that crying wasn’t so rampant and insufferable today.

As per your commentary on “pastism,” of course we gain wisdom and can view the past with a wiser lens. That’s the entire point! We should be able to do so with the understanding that you also shouldn’t condemn people too harshly for views they held or something that said three decades ago. Why are people going through a young pro athlete’s Twitter history to find something inflammatory he said 12 years ago when he was 14 years old? What kind of shit did you say on the playground in 1992 when you were 14?

Edited by GnR Chris

8 minutes ago, JoJo Bonetto said:

I am not reading anything. I am refuting this statement:

"Though he doesn't deny the possibility of a fan photo taken in passing, Mr Rose has no recollection of ever meeting or speaking to the plaintiff, and has never heard about these fictional allegations prior to today. Mr Rose is confident this case will be resolved in his favour."

Ok. I don't think are different in substance

3 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Holy shit one of the worst takes I've ever seen on these forums

There has been many baffling takes on the forums over this. One of the most mental reactions was on HTGTH...

Why can’t people just be happy?
They are releasing new music as we speak, and Slash and Duff say a new album is on the way.
Sometimes I feel like people here only want to focus on the negatives

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Wow 2

21 hours ago, Gibson87 said:

It's a civil case but the statue of limitations on rape in New York (state where lawsuit was filed) is 20 years, so criminal charges cannot be brought up.

Edit from the article:

The suit was brought through New York’s Adult Survivors Act, a law that has waived the statute of limitations on sexual misconduct claims for civil suits.

I have no idea how rape could be proven at this point anyway. It's he said, she said. Nothing more.

And Jimmy Iovine (what a coincidence!):

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/jimmy-iovine-sexual-abuse-allegation-1234893851/

And Steven Tyler (second lawsuit by a different woman) three weeks ago:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/steven-tyler-sexual-assault-second-woman-lawsuit-1234868124/

All filed in New York.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

My honest take: Axl was not well, a wreck, and very unbalanced at this time. Seems to jive with Erin Everly's experience around then. I can buy it, or something similar, happened.

The question now for me is, where do we go from here and what will happen to Axl's reputation with us and the general public? My honest guess is it will probably fade from the public's mind and maybe she reaches a settlement. [Shrug].

Edited by BangoSkank
Clarity

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

The Dylan one got thrown out as he wasn't even in the country at the time it was alleged to have happened. 

And he was being followed by camera crews for most of the year. And when the lawyer was confronted with all this he said he had evidence that Dylan was actually in NY ("blogs and things"). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

What could they have done, pay hush money to any woman coming forward with allegations about stuff that happened 35 years ago?

More like offering compensation for expenses to sign NDA's or fully setting things straight with legal comparison - cheaper and less damaging to the b(r)and. Not saying they could have prevented everything, but that woman went public with her story years before she filed a lawsuit. Her book and her participation in that documentary should have been monitored and viewed as an opportunity to sort things out by management. They ignored it. I don't blame her at all for seeking justice now that she was given the opportunity thanks to that time machine act.

However,, people need to understand if the democrats hadn't implemented the time machine act to fuck Trump first and foremost, that woman could have never filed suit in the first place. If they really had the intention to provide victims with an opportunity for justice, that law would not have been for a limited time only and not just in New York. How about other victims in say California or Texas or anywhere? They can not file suit for things that happened long ago - just because it didn't happen in New York City. It is an agenda and Axl is more of a collateral damage than actually being held responsible by a morally lawful standard.

I understand most people hate Trump but in this case some threw the enemy of their enemy under the bus because it was social status quo at the time. This whole situation is completely fucked up and depressing and I just feel sorry for everyone involved. We as fans could be talking about pro shots from the last tour and a new album at this point, instead there's a new lawsuit thrown at GNR every week and we are discussing legal shit, politics and social agendas. It sucks.

If that woman speaks the truth she deserves justice. Same for Kat and any other victim.

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

5 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

More like offering compensation for expenses to sign NDA's or fully setting things straight with legal comparison - cheaper and less damaging to the b(r)and. Not saying they could have prevented everything, but that woman went public with her story years before she filed a lawsuit. Her book and her participation in that documentary should have been monitored and viewed as an opportunity to sort things out by management.

This is what I assumed had happened after the documentary. I find it very strange no one did anything to settle the allegations made. It doesn't make whatever happened between them right but for business reasons alone, if I had been involved in GNR I would have been asking someone if it had been appropriately dealt with. It boggles my mind.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

More like offering compensation for expenses to sign NDA's or fully setting things straight with legal comparison - cheaper and less damaging to the b(r)and. Not saying they could have prevented everything, but that woman went public with her story years before she filed a lawsuit. Her book and her participation in that documentary should have been monitored and viewed as an opportunity to sort things out by management. They ignored it. I don't blame her at all for seeking justice now that she was given the opportunity thanks to that time machine act.

However,, people need to understand if the democrats hadn't implemented the time machine act to fuck Trump first and foremost, that woman could have never filed suit in the first place. If they really had the intention to provide victims with an opportunity for justice, that law would not have been for a limited time only and not just in New York. How about other victims in say California or Texas or anywhere? They can not file suit for things that happened long ago - just because it didn't happen in New York City. It is an agenda and Axl is more of a collateral damage than actually being held responsible by a morally lawful standard.

I understand most people hate Trump but in this case some threw the enemy of their enemy under the bus because it was social status quo at the time. This whole situation is completely fucked up and depressing and I just feel sorry for everyone involved. We as fans could be talking about pro shots from the last tour and a new album at this point, instead there's a new lawsuit thrown at GNR every week and we are discussing legal shit, politics and social agendas. It sucks.

If that woman speaks the truth she deserves justice. Same for Kat and any other victim.

I hate Trump but I'm not fond of The Democrats either.

However, there's a similar law of "temporary retroactivity" in California, although so far it's only for victims that were minors.  Steven Tyler has been sued by Julia Holcomb with this law in California. The New York law was also initially only for minors (and the justification that was presented was that it would give the opportunity to victims of cases like The Catholic Church scandals or Prince Andrew to get justice). Then it was expanded (with another law) to cover adult victims, too. I'm not sure about other states as I haven't looked into it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Fucking hell, is this like the old 'give a monkey a typewriter and infinite time and he'll write a Shakespeare play?' 

Give a thread about anything enough time and someone will start on the 'Donald Trump witch hunt' conspiracy theory bollocks? 

Remarkable really. 

or bring politics in a conversation that has NOTHING to do with them.  

• Like 1

The second point in the opening statement already says it all... 

They only got the first part wrong - she targeted him. And he was not the one who used his fame and status but she used him for his fame and status. She was attracted to his power and what being associated with him could do for her.

court.png

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BluegrassBlues said:

The more I have learned about what may have happened, the more I am on the fence about it. Axl was a scumbag back in the day, that I'm not denying. But there are several inconsistencies between the book and her documentary that even if it did happen it would not hold up in court. She mentions his bathroom sink being covered in drugs, sure I believe that. But she specifically mentions Adderall, in 1989. Adderall was not prescribed until 1996. How was he on a drug that did not exist at the time? We've already talked about the interview with Stern that also does not exist. And I can't help but notice her book came out in 2016, right when GNR and Axl was huge in the spotlight again, you know that helped with sales. 

I agree with another poster who said there may be a story out there that is completely true that takes the band down, but it is not this one. I'm on the fence about it now, I hope justice comes out either way for whoever deserves it here. 

I wondered that about Adderall. I can't recall it being a thing in 1989, not that I would have necessarily known because I was 13 at the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DoubleTalkinComa said:

Whether the allegation is real or not (people are saying there are holes in the woman's story), the fact of the matter is Axl has a past of having had intense anger problems, physical abuse including women, the works. I've heard my own story of Axl physically assaulting a woman (back in the 80s/90s) through a friend casually talking to new people she had met in LA.

An elephant is in the room that I think Axl should acknowledge and take accountability for- his past anger issues and how that was harming the people around him at the time.

Legally-speaking that may not be good for him right now. But morally, just in general, I couldn't sleep at night if I harmed someone but denied it despite the real possibility I just simply didn't remember. Or knowing I've harmed people in my past and didn't give them the acknowledgment and closure from me that they deserve. Or the public knowing of my past reputation and not taking ownership and expressing my genuine remorse.

Yeah, I largely agree with this take. Even if this instance isn't true there are many other stories like it out there. And honestly, I don't fully hold it against him in the sense that I don't view him as a Weinstein or a Cosby. He was very unwell, untreated, manic, and likely had horrible trauma he was dealing with as well. Tie in the drugs, booze, leeches/hangers on, and a revolving door of women just wanting sex for status, it becomes a disaster waiting to happen.

I do hold it against him in the sense that he was very wrong at the time and he owes those people acknowledgement, apologies, money, something. I don't even need it public, but right your wrongs.

2 minutes ago, Slaveleft said:

It will be VERY important if his bandmates support him or not.

They're gonna not discuss it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JoJo Bonetto said:

I wondered that about Adderall. I can't recall it being a thing in 1989, not that I would have necessarily known because I was 13 at the time.

I thought it was odd she mentioned it so specifically too, like it was a gotcha. But Adderall was not FDA approved or prescribed until 96, so there is no way he would have had bottles of it prescribed to him. It's such a random thing for her to point out and it not even be able to be true at the time 

• Like 1

Let's pretend Axl's lawyer's TMZ statement is completely true:

Gutman continues ... "Though he doesn’t deny the possibility of a fan photo taken in passing, Mr. Rose has no recollection of ever meeting or speaking to the Plaintiff, and has never heard about these again fictional allegations prior to today."

Finally, he finishes with this ... "Mr. Rose is confident this case will be resolved in his favor."

So a complete denial, nope I don't remember her at all.

That brings up the question on what exactly did happen on that alleged day? We don't know, but if her entire story is fictitious, then why did she mention other people like Rachtman being there on that night, that could instantly deny her ever meeting Axl, making Axl's statement true for that night, and making her story seem not credible?

If only part of it is fictitious but someone was there to witness Axl and Kennedy meeting, then why did Axl's camp quickly respond with a statement completely denying everything, instead of keeping quiet or more vague? Then that would make Axl's side seem not credible either.

Edited by BucketEgg