Tough question. Should Axl have NOT fronted AC/DC? 🤔

8 hours ago, JimiRose said:

It's unbelievable how much better he looks with long hair. I'm a straight man, but he is so much better looking with long hair. And badass. Axls made some bad career moves, but cutting the hair short was his worst. 

Worst career moves is Axls short hair? not refusing to promote Chinese Democracy? Not all the going stage hours late for 20yrs? ah come on!

As far as looks, I think he looked the best he's looked in years on this recent tour, slimmer and the hair looked a bit more natural than when he first appeared with the short hair. More attractive? eh, no comment😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, username said:

*to a select group of hardcore GnR fans and noone else. 

I mean, let's be honest here. AC/DC fans preferred Brian by default because he'd been the singer of AC/DC for 35 years at that point. Axl was a passable alternative for them. And other than that it's only hardcore GnR fans jizing in their panties over this. I don't mean to say it wasn't good. It was. But I think it's still mostly GnR fans being really excited and it was a passable alternative for everybody else. 

I think it went beyond the select fans of forums. There's still discussions about Axls tour with AC/DC by journalists and fans which are more often than not complimentary. Happy Brian is back of course, but they are still saying that AC/DC with Axl was incredible. Now, that's not extensive research, just some fans I've talked to, articles, podcasts and comment sections I've come cross across.

Possibly Axl continuing with AC/DC would have been a bad career move in terms of public perception, I think many would have put him into the role of the person stealing AC/DC away from Brian, especially if Brian was out doing guest appearances with Muse, Foo Fighters etc. and looking like he was fit to perform to some standard.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I think it went beyond the select fans of forums. There's still discussions about Axls tour with AC/DC by journalists and fans which are more often than not complimentary. Happy Brian is back of course, but they are still saying that AC/DC with Axl was incredible. Now, that's not extensive research, just some fans I've talked to, articles, podcasts and comment sections I've come cross across.

Possibly Axl continuing with AC/DC would have been a bad career move in terms of public perception, I think many would have put him into the role of the person stealing AC/DC away from Brian, especially if Brian was out doing guest appearances with Muse, Foo Fighters etc. and looking like he was fit to perform to some standard.

Hmm. I saw a professional article saying something like,"Axl Rose managed to save two different Bands the same year. He saved AC/DC and his own band, Guns N'Roses. The Guns N'Roses Reunion is beyond fantastic and he pulled AC/DC out of a jam and did a phenomenal job as temporary lead after Brian had to leave AC/DC due to sickness. I had my doubts about Axl becoming temporary lead for AC/DC, but he proved me wrong. Axl was truly the glue for AC/DC and sounded great. " 💡

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Worst career moves is Axls short hair? not refusing to promote Chinese Democracy? Not all the going stage hours late for 20yrs? ah come on!

That's how bad i feel his short hair is. grow it out Axl. Maybe he is like Samson. ever noticed how shit his voice has been since his hair got shorter... Think we've finally cracked the case

• Haha 2

When your hair is as thin as Axl's and you've had several hair transplants over the years, it's time to let the dream go. Duff's hair is still thick, he can get away with long hair even at his age.

42 minutes ago, EvanG said:

When your hair is as thin as Axl's and you've had several hair transplants over the years, it's time to let the dream go. Duff's hair is still thick, he can get away with long hair even at his age.

Happy New Year to you :hug:

• GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

As far as looks, I think he looked the best he's looked in years on this recent tour, slimmer and the hair looked a bit more natural than when he first appeared with the short hair. More attractive? eh, no comment😄

Happy New Year to you :hug:

• GNFNR 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:14 AM, Karice said:

A lot of Fans say stuff like,"Axl sounded GREAT with AC/DC, MUCH better than he does singing Guns N'Roses songs. With AC/DC he doesn't sing with the dreaded squeaky Mickey Mouse voice and sounds powerful . How could he sound so good in AC/DC but sound so  squeaky in Guns N'Roses the SAME year? Fan even said something like,"It's embarrassing that his voice sounds GOOD fronting another Band and sounds awful when fronting his OWN band."

I personally question if Axl should never had fronted AC/DC, because there wouldn't be so much harsh criticism of his Guns N'Roses voice if he only sang with Guns N'Roses. There would have just been,"Oh well, of course Axl sounds squeaky in his middle age. He sang with a LOT of gutteral power when he was young, so it stands to reason that he now sounds squeaky." 🤔

I think that's an easy question: Of course he should have fronted AC/DC. It was great performances, it helped change the public perception of him and made him come across more favorably due to the effort and respect he put in, and I think he felt really good about it himself.

On Axl "redeeming himself" with his AC/DC performances ... While that may have been true in the moment, it was very short lived, because once he immediately returned to out of breath Mickey with GnR, the public discourse was back to shitting on him and it's been getting worse with every tour, especially now that he's dropping old ChiDem turds, which are not being received well at all. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I didn't think I would ever say that (as I always liked long hair in guys), but I disagree. I think cutting his hair short was a good move (combined with the loss of weight in the last couple of years and recent wardrobe changes).

His long-ish hair had ended up being a mess most of the time. He looks much better now.

gettyimages-538225382.jpg

axl-rose-power-trip-2023-billboard-1548.

Everybody (fans, media, etc) said this year he looks much better than last years.

https://www.futuro.cl/2023/09/fotos-luce-increible-el-cambio-de-apariencia-y-personalidad-de-axl-rose-que-tiene-entusiasmados-a-fans-de-guns-n-roses/amp/

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

On Axl "redeeming himself" with his AC/DC performances ... While that may have been true in the moment, it was very short lived, because once he immediately returned to out of breath Mickey with GnR, the public discourse was back to shitting on him and it's been getting worse with every tour, especially now that he's dropping old ChiDem turds, which are not being received well at all. 

Perhaps had a good reception I thought. The AC/DC stint is one of Axl's greatest moments imo. No one else was worthy to tackle it in my view and then Axl nailed it and he had to cover both the Bon Scott era and the Brian era reminding people that he was still one of the most talented singers in the genre.

also, most people seem to like at least HS, Perhaps, and Monsters around the Gn'R forums it seems. 

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He looked really good this year

17 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

He looked really good this year

I think vocally he improved in some areas too, obviously got a little worse in other parts but 2023 was not a bad year IMO.

When he comes back with the corn everybody will want the short hair again

On 1/4/2024 at 9:17 AM, Karice said:

I remember Fans being impressed he did Axl/DC and the Guns N'Roses Reunion the SAME year. 💡

It was awesome seeing your favorite singer front 2 of the biggest bands on the planet at the same time. After so many years of bad press, it was nice to see finally see him get praised by the media

• Like 2

On the surface, Axl sounded amazing. On a bigger scale, I think it did more good overall for his public image. The Axl of old, late, temper tantrums, etc etc was put to rest. He showed up, he was professional, and he kicked ass. 

Fixing some issues he had on the Guns camp sure helped too. Big let's face it, ACDC is a monster. I think it opened a lot of eyes in his favour to people who wouldn't care as much about GNR. 

I thank this topic for making me revisit that era and some of the performances but then I'm left thinking, WTF - this shouldn't even be a question....one day far away from now they'll be a proshot of this magical collaboration and the world will see (I luckily saw it live in person and still in my top 10 gigs! Slash was a few meters in front, also loving it!)

When we watch something like this and see the kinda venom coming outta of the man and the attack and vigour, you see a man truly going for it...it really must of taken a lot of effort from Ax to bring it like this....but even then WOW..forget 2010, this is the closest in performance, voice and charisma we ever got to the 90s! 

Unreal. The ending still gives me goosebumps! 🤘🤘🤘

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeman5150 said:

It was awesome seeing your favorite singer front 2 of the biggest bands on the planet at the same time. After so many years of bad press, it was nice to see finally see him get praised by the media

Not just praised....it was like a full 180! Huge 5 Starr reviews and that he had not only saved Angus and co but realised a childhood dream and been reborn. 2016 will go down as one of the best if not best years to be a fan of Axl!

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

I thank this topic for making me revisit that era and some of the performances but then I'm left thinking, WTF - this shouldn't even be a question....one day far away from now they'll be a proshot of this magical collaboration and the world will see (I luckily saw it live in person and still in my top 10 gigs! Slash was a few meters in front, also loving it!)

When we watch something like this and see the kinda venom coming outta of the man and the attack and vigour, you see a man truly going for it...it really must of taken a lot of effort from Ax to bring it like this....but even then WOW..forget 2010, this is the closest in performance, voice and charisma we ever got to the 90s! 

Unreal. The ending still gives me goosebumps! 🤘🤘🤘

That Is awesome. I recommend  Thunderstruck from Sevilla. It was increíble, Is like 2 voices in one