Tough question. Should Axl have NOT fronted AC/DC? 🤔

A lot of Fans say stuff like,"Axl sounded GREAT with AC/DC, MUCH better than he does singing Guns N'Roses songs. With AC/DC he doesn't sing with the dreaded squeaky Mickey Mouse voice and sounds powerful . How could he sound so good in AC/DC but sound so  squeaky in Guns N'Roses the SAME year? Fan even said something like,"It's embarrassing that his voice sounds GOOD fronting another Band and sounds awful when fronting his OWN band."

I personally question if Axl should never had fronted AC/DC, because there wouldn't be so much harsh criticism of his Guns N'Roses voice if he only sang with Guns N'Roses. There would have just been,"Oh well, of course Axl sounds squeaky in his middle age. He sang with a LOT of gutteral power when he was young, so it stands to reason that he now sounds squeaky." 🤔

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Chris Slade has said they were going to get either someone from an AC/DC tribute band or just a random singer that no one has heard of. Personally I would have loved to see Jimmy Barnes take the role if Axl didn't. So from that perspective, I'm glad they picked Axl. It got him back in the spotlight just as much as the reunion did. 

With GNR, hes been in cruise control for over nearly two decades with endless touring and singing mostly the same songs. AC/DC is a much tighter ship. They don't do late starts or have constant sound issues, everything runs smoothly. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity to fill in as the frontman of one of the biggest bands of all time so of course hes going to give it all and then some. 

• Like 2

Axl fronting acdc was probably the best gig I've seen him perform & I've seen Guns 16 times now, should he have done it ....does a bear shit in the woods ? 

God yes, the only Down side was no tour cd dvd, but guns haven't given us this either 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't really care for AC/DC, but the gig clearly meant a lot to him. So yeah, he absolutely should've been there. 

This, it clearly meant a lot to him. It was also cool to hear him sing a bunch of stuff we had not heard him sing before. I do wonder if doing it & doing it all out with rasp on everything may have fucked his voice up a bit. Would love soundboard for these gigs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Pretty dumb question. Axl/DC was one of the greatest things in rock history. 

Not a dumb question imo. Most people on here (me included) thought that Axl/DC was epic, but his voice definitely went downhill rapidly after the NA leg. Of course that’s just hypothetical but without AC/DC, maybe he would’ve maintained his Summer 2016 level with GNR a bit longer. Also a lot of AC/DC fans are still unhappy about Axl fronting the band and the way Brian was treated (although that’s not Axls fault).

But the general public reception was pretty good and Axl redeemed himself after the NuGuns era.

Overall I’m glad that it happened and that i could experience it twice in person, but there’s not just positive things about it.

Edited by SAU3R
  • Like 3

One of the greatest concert experiences I ever had, Axl was on fire and as it was only the second time I saw him life and both times front row, it was and still is a very cherished memory. The last larger than life rockstar belting out kick ass rock tunes, who wouldn't love to see that. It's still a shame they never gave us a BluRay or Vinyl from that era.

4 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

This, it clearly meant a lot to him. It was also cool to hear him sing a bunch of stuff we had not heard him sing before. I do wonder if doing it & doing it all out with rasp on everything may have fucked his voice up a bit. Would love soundboard for these gigs

Almost certainly....as it's a hugely taxing way to sing 50+....BUT it shouldn't of been a permanent problem, it would of been a rest up and recover thing and would imagine he'd be fine...perhaps the fact he couldn't rest up, instead he went straight into 7 years of touring...

The constant touring is the issue! Most young artists tour for 18months, then disappear for 2-3 years to the studio and produce an album ...then repeat. If your only outlet is touring and it's extensive and it's hard rock and you're + 60...it's gonna show! 

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

Not a dumb question imo. Most people on here (me included) thought that Axl/DC was epic, but his voice definitely went downhill rapidly after the NA leg. Of course that’s just hypothetical but without AC/DC, maybe he would’ve maintained his Summer 2016 level with GNR a bit longer. Also a lot of AC/DC fans are still unhappy about Axl fronting the band and the way Brian was treated (although that’s not Axls fault).

But the general public reception was pretty good and Axl redeemed himself after the NuGuns era.

Overall I’m glad that it happened and that i could experience it twice in person, but there’s not just positive things about it.

The difference between 2016 and 2017 voice wasn't that huge anyway. Also without Axl/DC we never would have heard Vintage Axl ever again. Plus that he accomplished his childhood dream, so asking if he shouldn't have done it is kind of selfish 

49 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

we need a new leak. quick.

We are due for another few years or so. And when we get more leaks, I hope it's stuff with Buckethead and/or Robin, unlike last time. But, I'll take anything!

3 hours ago, DSTK said:

Axl fronting acdc was probably the best gig I've seen him perform & I've seen Guns 16 times now, should he have done it ....does a bear shit in the woods ? 

God yes, the only Down side was no tour cd dvd, but guns haven't given us this either 

I'd pay good money for an official Axl/DC Blu-ray of any or mixed 2016 performances. The footage has to exist.

• Like 1

Axl seems to have issues when he’s consistently changing registers. Especially when adding power/rasp, which happens frequently in GNR’s catalog 

AC/DC was much more straight forward vocally and it was actually probably easier for him to be more consistent in mainly that register as long as he was prepared vocally

Couple that with coming off for him a scorching 2016 reunion tour vocally, he then carried that through to those gigs 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Axl seems to have issues when he’s consistently changing registers. Especially when adding power/rasp, which happens frequently in GNR’s catalog 

AC/DC was much more straight forward vocally and it was actually probably easier for him to be more consistent in mainly that register as long as he was prepared vocally

Couple that with coming off for him a scorching 2016 reunion tour vocally, he then carried that through to those gigs 

I remember Fans being impressed he did Axl/DC and the Guns N'Roses Reunion the SAME year. 💡

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeNfr said:

we need a new leak. quick.

Yea...so we can escape "tough" questions? 😸

2 hours ago, Karice said:

I remember Fans being impressed he did Axl/DC and the Guns N'Roses Reunion the SAME year. 💡

2016 was fucking awful year in the music world for legends dying....

BUT it was THEE Year of the Axl Phoenix rising from the ashes...that's for sure.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spoon87 said:

One of the greatest concert experiences I ever had, Axl was on fire and as it was only the second time I saw him life and both times front row, it was and still is a very cherished memory. The last larger than life rockstar belting out kick ass rock tunes, who wouldn't love to see that. It's still a shame they never gave us a BluRay or Vinyl from that era.

I think thst BluRay or Vinyl would be offensive to Brian.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

We are due for another few years or so. And when we get more leaks, I hope it's stuff with Buckethead and/or Robin, unlike last time. But, I'll take anything!

I'd pay good money for an official Axl/DC Blu-ray of any or mixed 2016 performances. The footage has to exist.

Something  bit like this...😸👀👀👁️

😸

13 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I think thst BluRay or Vinyl would be offensive to Brian.

It could of happened in 2016 when he was out of the picture...never now! It'll be released around 30 years from now when they've all buggered off to the gates of hell and sons and daughters of estates are scrambling interesting asides to put out and flog in the VR world we'll be in....

• Wow 2

19 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Something  bit like this...😸👀👀👁️

😸

It could of happened in 2016 when he was out of the picture...never now! It'll be released around 30 years from now when they've all buggered off to the gates of hell and sons and daughters of estates are scrambling interesting asides to put out and flog in tyeehe VR world we'll be in....

Yes, agreed the part of "it ill'be released around 30 years from now".

• Like 1