Tough question. Should Axl have NOT fronted AC/DC? 🤔

Absolutely loved Axl/DC so in answer to the question, he was right to do it.

Will never forget hearing the first dodgy recordings of rehearsals and being blown away by how powerful Axl sounded. Then that first gig he completely knocked it out of the park and we got the stream from near the front by some woman who kept insulting the AC/DC fans :lol:

• Like 1

I was very apprehensive about Axl joining AC/DC when it got announced. I was upset because I thought it took away from the reunion, might mess with his voice (jury is out on that one, still), and that the move was disrespectful to Brian (that had nothing to do with Axl). It was still exciting, but I was not as enthused as many others on here. 

Then, it happened. 2016 was fucking magic. The 2016 reunion shows were phenomenal- so I never thought Axl/DC took away from them. If anything, it all just compiled into one big year of Axl and GNR ruling the rock headlines again. The Axl/DC shows themselves were incredible. His reunion voice was great, his AC/DC vocals were some of the best of his career. To have all that at the same time with Axl switching back and forth between bands was really neat. I saw 3 2016 GNR shows and 1 2016 AC/DC show. All were fantastic. Even got to meet Axl and AC/DC after the show I saw! It seems he also inspired Angus to dig out some deep cuts from his back- catalog which was awesome. Loved getting songs like Live Wire at the show I saw. 

So, in hindsight, I am thrilled it happened. I don't know if it negatively affected his voice since, but it is a trade I will selfishly take. He is getting older, anyways, and with the way he sings I don't know if a vocal decline can be helped or stopped. 2016 was the year he had to nail because of the reunion and AC/DC, and he did just that. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 4

Axl obviously made an excellent decision fronting AC/DC. Completely rehabbed his perception among casual fans, and made people even more excited about the gnr shows.

What exactly are the reasons against? Besides the iffy speculation that it blew his voice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Something  bit like this...😸👀👀👁️

It's unbelievable how much better he looks with long hair. I'm a straight man, but he is so much better looking with long hair. And badass. Axls made some bad career moves, but cutting the hair short was his worst. 

• GNFNR 1
  • Confused 1

I know there were some complaints that he blew his voice out on that tour and that was the last time he's sounded good live, and AC/CD fans didn't seem too thrilled about Axl fronting at first. But I think he should have absolutely done it, he got to front his favorite band and I'm sure that was an honor to do. We got an amazing crossover, and Axl seemed to have a lot of support from other musicians that was such a breath of fresh air for doing it.  

15 minutes ago, waxl1974 said:

Saw Axl/DC in London and one of the best shows I've ever been to. There were some hardcore AC/DC fans near me at the front who were not overly impressed about Axl fronting the band before the show started. However a couple of songs in they were on board with the performance saying how great he sounded. Made me feel proud. 

Axl certainly seemed to enjoy his time and having the chance to perform different material, especially the Bon era tracks. 

Would love to see it again and do wonder how he would sound 8 years on. 

I do remember a lot of casual and even hardcore AC/DC fans not being too fond initially, but Axl did it, he more than pulled it off, he fucking killed it. I saw him with Guns in 2016 and AC/DC, and he sounded decent with Guns, but with AC/DC, it was like 2006 Axl.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Pretty dumb question. Axl/DC was one of the greatest things in rock history. 

*to a select group of hardcore GnR fans and noone else. 

I mean, let's be honest here. AC/DC fans preferred Brian by default because he'd been the singer of AC/DC for 35 years at that point. Axl was a passable alternative for them. And other than that it's only hardcore GnR fans jizing in their panties over this. I don't mean to say it wasn't good. It was. But I think it's still mostly GnR fans being really excited and it was a passable alternative for everybody else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

It's unbelievable how much better he looks with long hair. I'm a straight man, but he is so much better looking with long hair. And badass. Axls made some bad career moves, but cutting the hair short was his worst. 

Okies....an interesting new candidate for Axl's worst career move....😆💇

38 minutes ago, username said:

*to a select group of hardcore GnR fans and noone else. 

I mean, let's be honest here. AC/DC fans preferred Brian by default because he'd been the singer of AC/DC for 35 years at that point. Axl was a passable alternative for them. And other than that it's only hardcore GnR fans jizing in their panties over this. I don't mean to say it wasn't good. It was. But I think it's still mostly GnR fans being really excited and it was a passable alternative for everybody else. 

You know a lot of people are fans of both bands, right? AC/DC introduced me to rock and Guns sealed the deal. Angus and Slash are my two biggest influences in guitar playing by a mile. AC/DC is probably the closest band to GNR's style except Aerosmith IMO. Especially in terms of riffs.

8 hours ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

The only mistake is that I didn’t get to see it! Craziest year of Axl’s career from the fan perspective! 

The Axl/DC show was marvellous. I do remember being not that impressed by the GNR gig(s) right after in Belgium & France.

4 hours ago, BluegrassBlues said:

I know there were some complaints that he blew his voice out on that tour and that was the last time he's sounded good live, and AC/CD fans didn't seem too thrilled about Axl fronting at first. But I think he should have absolutely done it, he got to front his favorite band and I'm sure that was an honor to do. We got an amazing crossover, and Axl seemed to have a lot of support from other musicians that was such a breath of fresh air for doing it.  

I thought Guns N'Roses is Axl's favorite Band? 🤔💡

• Haha 1

If GNR actually had a future with albums and a genuine need to keep Axl’s voice sharp, then yes, in retrospect it would’ve been a mistake. Considering instead they’ve become more or less a nostalgia band and whatever songs they release use ancient vocals anyways, it wasn’t a mistake, and Axl may as well have gone out with a bang if he was going to destroy his voice anyways.

It was incredible. Great timing too, it happened at the perfect moment for Axl, for a second he was back at the top of the rock world. He killed it and rode that high through the GNR tour. I hope someday we get an official recording of one of those shows... Atlanta was probably my favourite but they were all great.

But I don't know how people still think those shows didn't fuck up his voice. The constant NITL touring didn't help, but Axl himself said Hells Bells is the hardest song he's had to sing, if you don't do it correctly you'll damage your voice, etc.

He sounded great throughout both legs of that tour, but it seems obvious that's where his voice really started to deteriorate - consistent voice cracks near the end, and each year of NITL worse than the previous... it's not just his age, not his singing style, it's not like 2002 or 2011, or whatever excuses people throw out. The AC/DC tour and following years show a steady and obvious decline.

• Like 2