Slash's blues album set for May; single out now. SERPENT festival announced

47 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

Fuck, what a kick ass record.

Such tasteful playing by all involved, the production is fucking killer, Slashs soloing is so on point in every single song. 

Have you guys listened to how well this album is produced? Holy!

Now compare that production to GnR's most recent singles. :lol: 

It's just insane. 

• Like 2

So I guess I am in the minority here but Beth Hart annoys me through most of the song and even after the song ends lol.  Her and Iggy's songs are my two least favorites.  Not terrible but I don't like either of their vocals on these songs. 

The rest of the album is pure gold. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

So I guess I am in the minority here but Beth Hart annoys me through most of the song and even after the song ends lol.  Her and Iggy's songs are my two least favorites.  Not terrible but I don't like either of their vocals on these songs. 

The rest of the album is pure gold. 

Why is that?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Why is that?

There vocals both just annoy me. 

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

My top 3 are,

Papa Was a Rolling Stone, Living for the City, and Stormy Monday.

Rolling Stone, Living for the City and the Pusher for me \m/ no particular order

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Stormy Monday is the meanest shit on this record and probably the best version this song was ever played imo.

It has small ups and downs but I love the whole album and I don’t agree that it’s too safe or that it’s exactly like the originals. Slash managed to stick true to the classics but also put his stamp all over them. They added tasteful harp here and there, worked a nice breakdown into Crossroads, rearranged Stormy Monday completely, added some instrumental parts to the songs which made them longer (and better, imo). Speeded things up instead of slowing them down. These hard rocking solo spots on PWARS elevate the song brutally, while there’s no guitar solo on the classic at all. These are just a few examples and having all the different singers and the great production brings a lot of fresh air on top into those tracks. They recorded the basic tracks in just a few weeks. It wasn’t their intention to mess with the melodies or completely change the arrangement. 
Having those songs with Slash in top shape is enough for me.

I agree with this 100%

• Like 2

Amid all this talk of production, this one definitely sounds better than the last two SMKC records, but for me it doesn't top the first solo album (or Apocalyptic Love, another Eric Valentine record)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Naupis said:

I can't get over how much I like it. In no way shape or form was that a song I was excited about when the track list was released.

Just didn't think there was new ground to cover there, but his guitar solos are totally on point and frankly I really like the video. 

Michael Jerome has won himself a bunch of new fans. Just sifting through comments on the songs and the amount of people commenting on how awesome he sounds and how great so many of his fills are is enough that clearly he shined on these songs.

The album is just a great example of not taking the music too seriously or overthinking it. 

He could have spent 2 more years fine tuning and obsessing over it and I am not sure he could have captured a more dynamic sound if he tried.

I’ve heard from a guy who spent 2 decades on fine tuning his songs and the result was a very dynamic sound :awesomeface:

Edited by Free Bird
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I’ve heard from a guy who spent 2 decades on fine tuning his songs and the result was a very dynamic sound :awesomeface:

and that dynamic as fuck sound could be found in an album called Chinese Democracy.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

and that dynamic as fuck sound could be found in an album called Chinese Democracy.

Chinese had a great sound, but I guess you know I was just joking. Why so butt hurt?

Edited by Free Bird

37 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yeah, CD sounds also pretty incredible but since then it went massively downhill.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Chinese had a great sound, but I guess you know I was just joking. Why so butt hurt?

more over, I'm sure there are versions of the 4 singles in Axl's hard drives which have the same dynamic sound as Chinese Democracy. My butt hurt cause i've had an extra spicy meal.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

more over, I'm sure there are versions of the 4 singles in Axl's hard drives which have the same dynamic sound as Chinese Democracy. My butt hurt cause i've had an extra spicy meal.

I hope it was worth it. Was it delicious?

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Just seen someone saying there is a hidden 13th track on the album? 

I'm assuming that's bullshit? Doesn't seem to be on my copy and it's the first I've heard about it anywhere. 

Where should it be hidden? I’m thinking about if I’ve kept the CD running after Metal Chestnut bit I think I did…

12 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Where should it be hidden? I’m thinking about if I’ve kept the CD running after Metal Chestnut bit I think I did…

No mention. Just someone saying 'make sure you actually buy it to hear the hidden track 13 that won't be available on streaming'. 

There's nothing after Metal Chestnut- kept it running. 

My view is the guy is probably being a dick and talking bullshit for attention. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, God of Thunder said:

That album is fantastic. He should do a full album with Brian Johnson, love his Blues voice. Too bad Axl did not find the time to contribute...

Surely he didn’t find the time. He was too busy with all the projects he’s working on :lol:

I know I’m in the minority, but for me the production is too polished, slick and predictable. All the rawness that the blues is known for has escaped the arrangements. Even a standard like Crossroads sounds insipid with no edge or grit 

• Like 1