Axl has his own Website now

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

How is it defending Axl to point out that his lack of productivity is better explained by pointing to other mental quirks than laziness, like debilitating insecurity and polar disorder? :lol: 

It is not "overanalyzing" to take everything we know into consideration and providing a nuanced and more fitting explanation than oversimplifying because the alternative is too challenging. The latter is for simpletons who can't deal with the complexity of human nature.

Because it’s what you mainly do. You’re here to defend Axl in every capacity possible. The problem is not what you know but what you don’t know. He may be diagnosed bi polar but you simply don’t know if he’s taking medication or is doing anything against it. There’s a lot of things you can do to help yourself when you’re suffering from a disease. With the right medication you don’t have the problems like without but that’s something you ignore because that doesn’t fit your agenda. 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

11 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Because it’s what you mainly do. You’re here to defend Axl in every capacity possible. 

No, that's not why I am here. But that aside, how was I defending Axl? How is pointing out that Axl's low productivity is likely caused by other mental quirks than laziness, like debilitating insecurity and polar disorder, a defense of Axl?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Because it’s what you mainly do. You’re here to defend Axl in every capacity possible. 

Nah, he posts mostly out of rationality compared to many here who post out of emotion because the band (or Axl) doesn't do what they want them to do. There's a difference. I've seen him criticize Axl too, he just doesn't dwell on it constantly like so many here. So what you say is not true.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Nah, he posts mostly out of rationality compared to many here who post out of emotion because the band (or Axl) doesn't do what they want them to do. There's a difference. I've seen him criticize Axl too, he just doesn't dwell on it constantly like so many here. So what you say is not true.

Maybe I’m wrong but that’s the feeling I get.

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Maybe I’m wrong but that’s the feeling I get.

All that aside, how was I defending Axl? How is pointing out that Axl's low productivity is likely caused by other mental quirks than laziness, like debilitating insecurity and polar disorder, a defense of Axl?

No, that's not why I am here. But that aside, how was I defending Axl? How is pointing out that Axl's low productivity is likely caused by other mental quirks than laziness, like debilitating insecurity and polar disorder, a defense of Axl?

Laziness is trait of character while the others are mental issues. You can’t (or you shouldn’t) criticise somebody for mental illness.

• Like 1

Just now, Free Bird said:

Laziness is trait of character while the others are mental issues. You can’t (or you shouldn’t) criticise somebody for mental illness.

Your argument is based on the premise that laziness is somehow a chosen personality trait whereas debilitating insecurity and polar disorder isn't, and hence being lazy is in a sense a worse criticism because it is more of a lifestyle choice whereas people suffering stuff like crippling insecurity are more innocent victims of their genes and upbringing and hence except from criticism :lol:. I sincerely disagree with the notion that laziness is just a lifestyle choice and is by default easier to overcome than other mental issues, and I have the science on my side. Sure, a lazy person can choose to work harder, but a person suffering from debilitating insecurity can choose to fight through it, too. These things are not as different and separate as you make it seem.

But more importantly, I am not criticising Axl for not getting more work done. I am providing a descriptive explanation for why he gets little done. I am not arguing, "He should just step out of his depressions and get shit done" or "He should just care less about his art and get shit done." I am not saying that at all. It is the people who use the lazy argument who argue as if he is to blame for the poor output and criticize him for it. I accept that he is not productive and then I provide a descriptive explanation for why that is the case without judgment. 

Still, my purely descriptive explanation of the reasons why Axl behaves the way he does is more brutal and damning than simplifying it to him just being lazy, because suffering from crippling insecurity and polar disorder is more of an inconvenience in someone's life (and 'inconvenience' is an understatement considering how Axl's mental issues have affected his life negatively), and pointing to someone being "nuts" is usually more of a negative description than someone just being "lazy".

I think this is all pretty obvious and trivial. What is happening here are people not handling very well having their simpleminded arguments challenged so instead of accepting that their opinions are being attacked and actually look into my argument and consider revising their opinion, they deflect it to just Axl being defended, because that's how weird fans' minds works. As if I care one iota about defending Axl against accusations of laziness on a fan forum :lol: Let me put it this way, I care infinitely more about rationality and logic than about Axl or anyone else in GN'R, past or present. It just so happens that among those who whine and complain about Axl and GN'R there is a lot of nonsensical opinions and arguments and they are typically not smart enough to deal with counter-arguments or criticism stoically or gracefully but file the criticism away as someone defending Axl or the band.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Your argument is based on the premise that laziness is somehow a chosen personality trait whereas debilitating insecurity and polar disorder isn't, and hence being lazy is in a sense a worse criticism because it is more of a lifestyle choice whereas people suffering stuff like crippling insecurity are more innocent victims of their genes and upbringing and hence except from criticism :lol:. I sincerely disagree with the notion that laziness is just a lifestyle choice and is by default easier to overcome than other mental issues, and I have the science on my side. Sure, a lazy person can choose to work harder, but a person suffering from debilitating insecurity can choose to fight through it, too. These things are not as different and separate as you make it seem.

But more importantly, I am not criticising Axl for not getting more work done. I am providing a descriptive explanation for why he gets little done. I am not arguing, "He should just step out of his depressions and get shit done" or "He should just care less about his art and get shit done." I am not saying that at all. It is the people who use the lazy argument who argue as if he is to blame for the poor output and criticize him for it. I accept that he is not productive and then I provide a descriptive explanation for why that is the case without judgment. 

Still, my purely descriptive explanation of the reasons why Axl behaves the way he does is more brutal and damning than simplifying it to him just being lazy, because suffering from crippling insecurity and polar disorder is more of an inconvenience in someone's life (and 'inconvenience' is an understatement considering how Axl's mental issues have affected his life negatively), and pointing to someone being "nuts" is usually more of a negative description than someone just being "lazy".

I think this is all pretty obvious and trivial. What is happening here are people not handling very well having their simpleminded arguments challenged so instead of accepting that their opinions are being attacked and actually look into my argument and consider revising their opinion, they deflect it to just Axl being defended, because that's how weird fans' minds works. As if I care one iota about defending Axl against accusations of laziness on a fan forum :lol: Let me put it this way, I care infinitely more about rationality and logic than about Axl or anyone else in GN'R, past or present. It just so happens that among those who whine and complain about Axl and GN'R there is a lot of nonsensical opinions and arguments and they are typically not smart enough to deal with counter-arguments or criticism stoically or gracefully but file the criticism away as someone defending Axl or the band.

Tltr… I’m not wasting my time with that bullshit. I’m to lazy and we’ve got a public holiday :)

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Tltr… I’m not wasting my time with that bullshit. I’m to lazy and we’ve got a public holiday :)

We got a public holiday, too, but you know, defending Axl is a 24/7-365 job. Enjoy your day off :)

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

The news section of the site has been updated today 

https://www.officialaxlrose.com/news

with this story

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2024/05/01/one-of-guns-n-roses-biggest-hits-is-surging-36-years-after-its-release/

Seems positive that it is being updated and not completely left like many thought

What's special happened they top the Billboard chart

8 minutes ago, Ratam said:

What's special happened they top the Billboard chart

No idea & it's kind of a nothing story really, but it at least indicates that the site isn't just going to be left to rot completely.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

No idea & it's kind of a nothing story really, but it at least indicates that the site isn't just going to be left to rot completely.

It could just be doing that stuff automatically though. You could set it to pick up and post GNR news from certain websites automatically. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It could just be doing that stuff automatically though. You could set it to pick up and post GNR news from certain websites automatically. 

well that's true tbf

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Because you don;t know that axl has any of these conditions and what medication he is on. You're simply using them as an excuse for his laziness to try to defend him against the obvious, which is that he's incredibly fucking lazy! It's no big deal, he is a lazy man! It's ok!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

That's possible, but they would still need to have someone filter them, because many GN'R related articles are about stories from the past or could be about Slash, Duff, the lawsuits etc.

• Like 1

Axl's been pretty clearly medicated since 2011, and while I don't think this has anything to do with him not releasing (much) music, I think it has made him less productive on the writing front.

I do agree that Axl is lazy, but I don't think that's the primary reason he withheld CD for a decade. If it was just laziness he would have gotten off his ass and released the album to keep Bucket in the band if nothing else. I think his insecurities play a great role in why he never wants anything out. His bullshit "it was just a demo" comment about OMG in 2008 speaks volumes. I think if that song had made bigger waves in late 1999 we could have been listening to CD in 2000.

On 5/1/2024 at 9:36 PM, JimiRose said:

Because you don;t know that axl has any of these conditions and what medication he is on. You're simply using them as an excuse for his laziness to try to defend him against the obvious, which is that he's incredibly fucking lazy! It's no big deal, he is a lazy man! It's ok!

We don't know that Axl is suffering from insecurity and polar disorder? Well, you might be right about the latter. Axl himself has stated that he has been diagnosed as having polar disorder, but also claimed that it was wrong and "misconstrued". Then we have people around him who has stated he is bipolar. Regardless, the typical symptoms of this disorder, periods of manic activity and periods of depression, basically swinging and uncontrollable moods, are something we know for sure that Axl suffers from because it is well attested by himself and others. The same is of course his insecurity, other people and himself have talked at length about him being afraid of failing, afraid of reactions, caring too much about his art, and the flipside of this which is his tendency to over-focus on tasks and spend a lot of time meticulously working on something. What is not attested by anyone, though, as far as I can find, is that he is lazy.

I don't know why you talk about medication. I said nothing about medication in the post you responded to. That being said, Axl was prescribed lithium to help stabilize his moods. I don't know if he still gets medication for this today.

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

We don't know that Axl is suffering from insecurity and polar disorder? Well, you might be right about the latter. Axl himself has stated that he has been diagnosed as having polar disorder, but also claimed that it was wrong and "misconstrued". Then we have people around him who has stated he is bipolar. Regardless, the typical symptoms of this disorder, periods of manic activity and periods of depression, basically swinging and uncontrollable moods, are something we know for sure that Axl suffers from because it is well attested by himself and others. The same is of course his insecurity, other people and himself have talked at length about him being afraid of failing, afraid of reactions, caring too much about his art, and the flipside of this which is his tendency to over-focus on tasks and spend a lot of time meticulously working on something. What is not attested by anyone, though, as far as I can find, is that he is lazy.

I don't know why you talk about medication. I said nothing about medication in the post you responded to. That being said, Axl was prescribed lithium to help stabilize his moods. I don't know if he still gets medication for this today.

I have heard that Axl is a perfectionist. 💡🤔

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 2:13 AM, SoulMonster said:

How is pointing out that Axl's low productivity is likely caused by other mental quirks than laziness, like debilitating insecurity and polar disorder, a defense of Axl?

Because it accomodates the hangers-on who've surrounded for over thirty years and done nothing to fix it.  At least if he's lazy, they can shrug and enjoy the high life he pays to keep them around.

Hell, maybe they want to keep him unproductive, it's not like he can do anything to stop them.  That would require making decisions and taking action with concrete results.

My take on Mr Rose is that he’s an artist and you take what you get. Some are prolific and some are not. It also comes with a certain temperament and always has. Artists don’t owe you art, they make whatever amount of it they make and you appreciate it or you don’t. There’s a lot of way more prolific artists than Axl out there to be explored. What he has created holds up against anything else in its realm. 

• Like 2