New lengthy interview with Duff (Stereogum) + radio interview on Eddie Trunk

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

https://www.stereogum.com/2266852/duff-mckagan-career-spanning-interview/interviews/weve-got-a-file-on-you/

The parts about GN'R are basically the same stories he has told a million times before, but it's a good interview about his whole career. He is asked about new GN'R music in the end, talks about Perhaps a bit and says that he thinks putting all the "new" songs in an album is the right thing to do and it will probably happen.

There is also some interesting stuff about his Beautiful Disease album (he has mentioned in other recent interviews that he has bought back the rights to it, but in this one he shares some behind the scenes stories about what happened with the label that I don't think I've heard before).

He says he’d like for the new songs to be put into one “body of work” so I think he means ep rather than album, but cool either way!

he brought that aspect up without the interviewer even asking, so that’s a good sign too.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

A singles “EP” (maybe even slapping “Monsters” on it) would make sense as a holdover until they start recording any potential new album. 

Based on the latest comments from Duff and Slash I think they gave Axl material to work on while they’re busy with their solo projects (newly written stuff and old reworked CD stuff). I doubt Axl will be ready until 2025 or anytime soon but I believe that’s the plan and you never know .

• Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Based on the latest comments from Duff and Slash I think they gave Axl material to work on while they’re busy with their solo projects (newly written stuff and old reworked CD stuff). I doubt Axl will be ready until 2025 or anytime soon but I believe that’s the plan and you never know .

I agree, and can totally see the vision. Axl is so lowkey, probably would never be able to absolutely 100% confirm if he’s working in a studio right now or anything, but I do believe he’s got things going on. Plus, the GNR website considered the release of TG music video as their “kickstart” to 2024… I’m inclined to think they’ll do something notable at least once this year, even if it’s just announcing a new tour. 

Edited by GNRRHCP98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GNRRHCP98 said:

I agree, and can totally see the vision. Axl is so lowkey, probably would never be able to absolutely 100% confirm if he’s working in a studio right now or anything, but I do believe he’s got things going on. Plus, the GNR website considered the release of TG music video as their “kickstart” to 2024… I’m inclined to think they’ll do something notable at least once this year, even if it’s just announcing a new tour. 

The General had an official music video? 🤔 The video I saw for The General was fan made and just had a gray black background. 🤔

• Haha 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

• Blackstar changed the title to New lengthy interview with Duff (Stereogum) + radio interview on Eddie Trunk
On 6/7/2024 at 7:49 PM, Blackstar said:

https://www.stereogum.com/2266852/duff-mckagan-career-spanning-interview/interviews/weve-got-a-file-on-you/

The parts about GN'R are basically the same stories he has told a million times before, but it's a good interview about his whole career. He is asked about new GN'R music in the end, talks about Perhaps a bit and says that he thinks putting all the "new" songs in an album is the right thing to do and it will probably happen.

There is also some interesting stuff about his Beautiful Disease album (he has mentioned in other recent interviews that he has bought back the rights to it, but in this one he shares some behind the scenes stories about what happened with the label that I don't think I've heard before).

And the interview on Eddie Trunk:

Duff McKagan says Guns N’ Roses have new material – and that the Rolling Stones may have shown them how to release it.

The GN’R bassist seemed hesitant about going into detail when asked on Sirius XM about the chances of the superstar rockers putting out entirely new material any time soon, as opposed to reworked version of older unreleased songs which they’ve done over the past two years. Asked on the Faction Talk station if he supported the release of ‘newly written’ songs, he said: "Absolutely. Yeah, absolutely. You’re wanting me to add more to that, aren’t you? There’s new material. I don’t know how we’re going to put it out. I think that’s a question, too. Do you put out a record? Do you just keep putting out singles. I don’t know if the right answer is there in this day and age. But I do know there’s a new Pearl Jam record, I know Pearl Jam put out Dark Matter and I think that record was the perfect record for them right now because they’ve got a whole new energy. The same with the Stones – new record, putting out a whole new record.”

The Stones’ Hackney Diamonds was described by McKagan as their best in more than 40 years.

“The band seems to have a whole new energy,” he continued. “I think doing that record with (producer) Andrew Watt was key for their new energy because Andrew Watt’s got a lot of energy. So, you know, hopefully we can do something like that.”

https://hotmetalmag.com/stones-may-have-shown-gnr-how-to-do-a-new-album-says-duff-mckagan/

"Songs just keep coming....i.cant stop it. Don't stop it. You only live once"...gotta get the music out. I wish some other guy felt the same!! It must be frustrating for guys like Duff and Slash.

Always love a long form interview, really I regard only long interviews as proper journalism. 5-8 mins is just promo bullshit....always love an Eddie Trunk, as he knows his shit.

@D4NNY amazing 5-10 min divergence into Prince chat....Duff needs to start a P podcast and I'd love him to curate a P record!!! Great idea.....but the estate didn't let Jack White do it!🫤

• Like 1

I am glad Duff mentioned the new Pearl Jam record - Andrew Watt's mixing and production may not be to my tastes on it but songwriting and energy-wise it is their best album in years.  And they just went in, and with Watt helping guide the sessions wrote the songs by jamming in the studio together only bringing in fresh song ideas to the table

I want that for this current lineup of GNR more than I do any old Chinese Democracy era song reworked, no matter how mythologized some of the song titles from that era still are

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

"Songs just keep coming....i.cant stop it. Don't stop it. You only live once"...gotta get the music out. I wish some other guy felt the same!! It must be frustrating for guys like Duff and Slash.

Always love a long form interview, really I regard only long interviews as proper journalism. 5-8 mins is just promo bullshit....always love an Eddie Trunk, as he knows his shit.

@D4NNY amazing 5-10 min divergence into Prince chat....Duff needs to start a P podcast and I'd love him to curate a P record!!! Great idea.....but the estate didn't let Jack White do it!🫤

Wow! Thanks for pointing that out. Can you imagine Duff curating a Prince rock record.. that would be absolutely incredible. And that story about meeting Prince in ‘92 is funny but kinda sad that Duff felt embarrassed because of his drinking. Wonder if that bass documentary will ever see the light of day also.. strange it never came out in the first place.

As for Jack White, is that the Camille album? Last I read or heard, he had it put together and ready?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Andrew Watt's mixing and production may not be to my tastes

I wasn't a massive fan of the production of Ozzy's latest stuff (The Stones was okay, and I haven't checked out the new Pearl Jam record yet). But there's a strange irony in that I liked the sound of the California Breed album that Watt played on... which was produced by Dave Cobb whose production on SMKC's 4 and GVF's Starcatcher left me feeling pretty disappointed

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

I wasn't a massive fan of the production of Ozzy's latest stuff (The Stones was okay, and I haven't checked out the new Pearl Jam record yet). But there's a strange irony in that I liked the sound of the California Breed album that Watt played on... which was produced by Dave Cobb whose production on SMKC's 4 and GVF's Starcatcher left me feeling pretty disappointed

The difference with the California Breed album is that Dave didn't mix it, Vance Powell did.

Just get Andrew Watt and the lot of them in a studio ala Pearl Jam and bash it out already. Enough with this bs conjecture about the best way to release it or whatever the latest excuse is… unfortunately we all know the real reason for any continued delay of anything substantial and completely new. This is like Chinese Democracy all over again t this point… time went by and it became a joke etc.

1 hour ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Just get Andrew Watt and the lot of them in a studio ala Pearl Jam and bash it out already. Enough with this bs conjecture about the best way to release it or whatever the latest excuse is… unfortunately we all know the real reason for any continued delay of anything substantial and completely new. This is like Chinese Democracy all over again t this point… time went by and it became a joke etc.

The difference, in those days, we had a an album title, song titles and song leaks, info leaks from collborators which definitely helped annoy AND get us by in equal meassure....

13 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm telling ya, Mike Clink. They need someone who has a connection to them from the past. I like Andrew Watt but I don't think he's the best fit.

Agree with Clink. Even that new slash was a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I'm telling ya, Mike Clink. They need someone who has a connection to them from the past. I like Andrew Watt but I don't think he's the best fit.

Andrew Watt's whole thing is that he kinda fits anywhere if the band/musicians he works for are open enough for him to work with them. He's kinda like Rick Rubin in a way, only musically more gifted but the main thing about these people is that they seem to know how to get good results when it comes to the material itself. less so the sound of it.

don't know if Axl's personality is compatible enough with a guy like Andrew Watt. Duff is nothing like Axl it seems. If Axl wants to make a new Gn'R album and for it to sound as Gn'R as possible, I'm sure he's aware of what Clink can do for him in a Gn'R context, but we don't even know which approach Axl wants to take if any when it comes to releasing new material or any material for that matter and what his specific goal is which should influence what kind of producer you're going to choose to make your album. Axl doesn't strike me as someone whos top priority is for the process of making an album to be quick and to the point like Duff seems to want.

still. seems like Andrew Watt is capable of bringing something fresh to the table with a lot of classic bands/musicians but I don't care for how most of the records he's involved with sound like. Same way I feel about Rick Rubin, only he doesn't really have technical abilities as a producer/engineer and these guys are more about bringing a new approach so it doesn't sound stale or getting back to what worked for the artist in the past, kind of a back to basics approach and writing a lot of tunes to choose from.

3 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

The difference, in those days, we had a an album title, song titles and song leaks, info leaks from collaborators which definitely helped annoy AND get us by in equal measure....

I think that could have only made things worse though. It created expectations and demands which ultimately led to disappointment. We were never supposed to hear any of that, and had we not, the end result might not have only been more pleasing, but different altogether.

I saw a video recently about an Eminem album that got leaked, and that forced a number of changes to the record itself, its promotion, and a few other things. The leaks ruined everything because they were not supposed to be heard at that time.

So yeah, we're all happy we heard stuff and are still hearing stuff, but it may well have changed the course of all of this. The respect goes both ways: as fans we want our support to be rewarded with new material, but as artists they'll expect us to get what we're given when it's ready. Without the leaks, Axl and the label might not have shit their pants and we could very well be on the fourth album of the 21st century by now rather than the second. Just speculation, of course. We'll never actually know.

Edited by DoMw94