Gilby Clarke interview regarding reunion

28 minutes ago, emybdc said:

He comes off as so down to earth to me.  He handles Axl questions with a lot of class. Not everyone can do that (specially Mr. Sorum)

Yeah he is very mellow, but he did sue the band back in the day.

Just now, DIST said:

Yeah he is very mellow, but he did sue the band back in the day.

Yeah but who hasn't? lol
You're right tho, I forgot about that. I wonder if there's any other band that has such a vast collection of law suits...

11 minutes ago, emybdc said:

Yeah but who hasn't? lol
You're right tho, I forgot about that. I wonder if there's any other band that has such a vast collection of law suits...

Sure but to sue for name misappropriation, after given such an opportunity in the biggest band in the world at the time...didn't seem very Gilby to me.

Yeah no one beats GNR in suits.

I agree but there is always some wanker who prefers Richard Fortus, whose name is bandied around here like Gandhi crossed with Jimi Hendrix. When one mentions Gilby Clarke you merely receive in reply, ''It would be unfair to Richard who has been a loyal servant and an excellent guitarist; I am excited to hear what Fortus and Slash produce'' etc etc. , then a bunch of gunk on how Gilby was the 'original hack'.

I think it's just Fortus can write with Axl and play with Slash. 

If it was a reunion Gilby makes more sense. But it's not it seems. I would go Izzy for a real reunion or Fortus for a new record which has been in the pipeline maybe. Putting a UYI touring  line up back together seems a little vague. It's like low level nostalgia. Nobody really aches for that line up. It's more the original 5, and Axl doesn't seem to think it's possible. If they bring Gilby back now to write what was the problem way back when?

I actually reckon Izzy does his songs better solo than with Guns, his aesethetic works with his songs. Its weird to have off beat aloof songs in a stadium band. It's a Keef solo spot then back to the anthems. It's a cameo for Izzy but he's more talented than that from his solo work. 

I feel like Fortus has something to offer recording wise. Live he has a visual presence they might need with 2 guitarists. He has some chemistry with Axl from his version of Heaven's door at Vegas I saw. 

1 minute ago, Nice Boy said:

Does anyone know: why was Gilby not inducted int the hall of fame with GNR? It doesn't seem fair. He was the guitarist for a big chunk of the UYI tour, more than Izzy. Sorum was included, so why not Gilby?

He didn't contribute anything to their creative output. Sorum played on UYI.

EDIT: I know Gilby was on TSI, but it was a covers album...

Edited by highvoltage

Gilby seems to be a cool guy and his solo stuff is allright (except for a few tunes like Black, Cure Me... and the Col Parker album which are really great)

BUT

No one so far was able to replace Izzy, really.

Izzy has a unique way of playing the songs, of hitting the notes.

The groove.

It's mostly in his right hand.

• Like 1

Love gilby. I would still go with fortus first, he seems like a better guitar player and he fits GNR better. But that's not to say gilby didn't fit GNR, hired hand or not.

All in all, I hope he can make a guest appearance at some point. 

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

some wanker who prefers Richard Fortus

He's just a better guitar player imo. :shrugs:

I don't care for Gilbert's solo material or Fortus's for that matter. Also, if what Richard said is true and Slash offered him a spot in one of his bands, that's a good thing cause it's not a Slash-Pitman thing. At least it makes sense together. Just as much as Clerk.

I prefer Huge anyway.

Edited by Rovim

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I agree but there is always some wanker who prefers Richard Fortus, whose name is bandied around here like Gandhi crossed with Jimi Hendrix. When one mentions Gilby Clarke you merely receive in reply, ''It would be unfair to Richard who has been a loyal servant and an excellent guitarist; I am excited to hear what Fortus and Slash produce'' etc etc. , then a bunch of gunk on how Gilby was the 'original hack'.

Haha you just called slash a "wanker" :lol::lol::lol: