Pedrolg

The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

4 minutes ago, prez said:

I was at MSG Night 2 and while I enjoyed the show I thought there was plenty of falsetto (or "Mickey" as you guys like to call it).

I'm not reading this whole thread but has anyone noticed that sometime in 2017 he started singing the "Now I know you better, you know I know better" lines in a very strange projected voice that almost sounds like he's trying to belt it out Meat Loaf-style? It's very different from how he sang it on CD (or in any live performances prior to 2017) and it's kinda cool.

I first noticed it on the Apollo soundboard. I had stopped following the fan recorded videos of the shows by that point.

I don't mind that voice. It took a minute to get used to though.

It's the weak verses that ruin the performances of Better.

• Like 1

I went back to 06 to find a nasally performance from Axl because I felt like that was the most nasally his vocals ever were and the first video I go to is Patience being sung like it’s 80’s Axl. It sounds like the AMA performance from 89 with the tempo and his voice is clear with most of the nasal vocals gone. Probably the best version I’ve found come across since the 90’s. 

I know Patience doesn’t have a lot of difficulties and most sound the same, but this one stands out to me for its clarity. Sometimes I feel like Axl sang it in a joking way. This one feels like he just got done writing the song with Izzy and is trying it out. 

• Like 4

Good find IC!

A lot of the time Patience suffers live, either because of the joking style it's sang, or the weak 'mickey' ending. This is very cool!

Edited by F*ck Fear

My take on Axl's voice in different eras:

- 86-89 probably the best we'll ever listen too - a voice full, amazing range & no weak spots. The rasp was also raw and perfect.

- 90-93 some great vocals too, almost as good as before, but the rasp usually sounded a bit more harsh (kind of "metallic" sounding if you know what I mean)

- 01-02 strong lower register but rasp was almost completely gone, instead replaced by a very strong falsetto 

- 06-07 strong vocals all around and probably the best "modern" era vocals imo. Although there was some inconsistency at some shows and somehow on higher pitch he sang clean (without rasp) which was and is (later on) unusual

- 09-10 strong vocals all around and a HELL FUCK YEAH of a rasp! The rasp if anything was a bit too present for my liking in some songs - like he couldn't control it very well

-11-14 good vocal range but way too less rasp than usual. It seemed that Axl was really having some strain in singing in higher register. Still some odd great performances like '12 amazing Philly show and the later Vegas residency shows 

- 16-17 good vocals overall and great voice range and control - a very balanced era overall, especially considering Axl's age

- 18 still good vocals overall but the rasp was weaker and even a bit distorted at higher pitch

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trqster said:

My take on Axl's voice in different eras:

- 86-89 probably the best we'll ever listen too - a voice full, amazing range & no weak spots. The rasp was also raw and perfect.

- 90-93 some great vocals too, almost as good as before, but the rasp usually sounded a bit more harsh (kind of "metallic" sounding if you know what I mean)

- 01-02 strong lower register but rasp was almost completely gone, instead replaced by a very strong falsetto 

- 06-07 strong vocals all around and probably the best "modern" era vocals imo. Although there was some inconsistency at some shows and somehow on higher pitch he sang clean (without rasp) which was and is (later on) unusual

- 09-10 strong vocals all around and a HELL FUCK YEAH of a rasp! The rasp if anything was a bit too present for my liking in some songs - like he couldn't control it very well

-11-14 good vocal range but way too less rasp than usual. It seemed that Axl was really having some strain in singing in higher register. Still some odd great performances like '12 amazing Philly show and the later Vegas residency shows 

- 16-17 good vocals overall and great voice range and control - a very balanced era overall, especially considering Axl's age

- 18 still good vocals overall but the rasp was weaker and even a bit distorted at higher pitch

You can’t even group together his vocals from the years 86-94. In every single year, his voice was noticeably different. 

• Like 1

I cannot stop thinking what the hell happened in 2011...

man, those leaked emails and problems with the record company doesnt explain the big difference of his voice just 10 months after Abu Dhabi.

• Like 1