Breakdown Intro vs. Locomotive Outro

Breakdown Intro vs. Locomotive Outro  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Locomotive all day long.  And all night.  All year.  No other Guns outro competes (and certainly not Breakdown intro).  

For a start, the piano has the most gorgeous tone, better than NR.  And in the background you've got Duff's bass thrumming away, complementing the piano so damn well.  And I love how at first you think it's going to be all about the piano.  And then the guitar kicks in.  That tone.  That fucking build up - Hendrix possessed Slash in that moment.  One of the best guitar solos Slash has ever done, better than Estranged, literally better than anything, better than sex. :lol: And all the while the bass carries every instrument along.  

I just wish Axl had cut his vocal, it's not at all needed.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

and certainly not Breakdown intro

Seems like there's a great gap in between in quality according to your estimation...

I still think they are almost equal in quality.

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

One of the best guitar solos Slash has ever done, better than Estranged, literally better than anything, better than sex. :lol: And all the while the bass carries every instrument along.  

I assumes then that Locomotive is your favorite song? :D

44 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

Seems like there's a great gap in between in quality according to your estimation...

I still think they are almost equal in quality.

I assumes then that Locomotive is your favorite song? :D

Yeah, I'm afraid Breakdown does nothing for me, except that final outro segment - that piano fucking rocks.  Don't get me wrong, I like it well enough, it just doesn't move me and it really does lean too far to the Country side of things for my taste.  Also, I find it a frustrating song in that it builds and builds and then there's seemingly no pay off.  Except the outro.

Locomotive is in my personal top 5 Guns songs but it's not perfect by any means.  It's too long (that's Axl for you) and Axl's vocals in the outro really annoy me, always have done, yet the song wouldn't be the same without those imperfections (well, what I perceive as imperfections anyway).  But yeah, that outro to me, is like nothing else.  It's like a religious experience. LOL

7 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

No one to join me with Breakdown intro... :unsure:

Don't worry no one ever joins me whenever I say I love Shotgun Blues.  There are literally 3 other people on this forum who like Shotgun Blues.  And Riad.  Apparently, I like all the songs everyone else hates. :lol:

3 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Don't worry no one ever joins me whenever I say I love Shotgun Blues.  There are literally 3 other people on this forum who like Shotgun Blues.  And Riad.  Apparently, I like all the songs everyone else hates. :lol:

This reminds me that I keep meaning to mention that I too enjoy Riad. I love it actually!  And I love the music to shot gun blues.  The lyrics and much of the melody really bother me though.  Great guitar riffs.  Love the Axl bits at the end, the background harmonies saying something like "I dont, like you" or whatever.  Right at the end.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

me! 

:D

9 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

:lol:

24 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yeah, I'm afraid Breakdown does nothing for me, except that final outro segment - that piano fucking rocks.  Don't get me wrong, I like it well enough, it just doesn't move me and it really does lean too far to the Country side of things for my taste.  Also, I find it a frustrating song in that it builds and builds and then there's seemingly no pay off.  Except the outro.

Locomotive is in my personal top 5 Guns songs but it's not perfect by any means.  It's too long (that's Axl for you) and Axl's vocals in the outro really annoy me, always have done, yet the song wouldn't be the same without those imperfections (well, what I perceive as imperfections anyway).  But yeah, that outro to me, is like nothing else.  It's like a religious experience. LOL

I like Shotgun Blues personally, but when I put it next to the other Guns songs in comparison I find myself not enjoying it as much. With Riad I like the idea of it but the final take we got on Chinese was, to quote Gordon Ramsey, dreadful.

On topic, you put anything with Breakdown in a poll and I’m guaranteed to vote for it. Criminally underrated song that warms me up whenever I listen to it.

33 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Don't worry no one ever joins me whenever I say I love Shotgun Blues.  There are literally 3 other people on this forum who like Shotgun Blues.  And Riad.  Apparently, I like all the songs everyone else hates.

I like Shotgun Blues. But not Riad, Axl explained in the chats here that the song is some kind of Civil War follow up with his story about Erin's brother in law. But I didn't know what the song was about until he explained it. Still the quality of the song is nowhere near Civil War

19 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I like Shotgun Blues personally, but when I put it next to the other Guns songs in comparison I find myself not enjoying it as much. With Riad I like the idea of it but the final take we got on Chinese was, to quote Gordon Ramsey, dreadful.

On topic, you put anything with Breakdown in a poll and I’m guaranteed to vote for it. Criminally underrated song that warms me up whenever I listen to it.

To be honest, I don't find a heck of a lot of difference between demo Riad and album Riad.  In the demo, you've still got disco guitar (marginally quieter) and space invaders effects (what @DieselDaisy calls bleeps) and even the tiger snarl (still don't know which guitarist to attribute that to).  The biggest difference is on the album version we have the orchestral/James Bond-ish explosive sound midway (which I adore).  

But it's pointless me entering into any discussion regarding Riad - I can't think straight when it comes to that song, I love it too much.  :lol:

12 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I’m almost with you because Breakdown has a lot of meaning to me, but intro don’t stop or fade out, so the Locomotive outro wins because it’s almost it’s own piece of music.

Great insight. I agree completely.

Just because of that, perhaps I lean towards Locomotive.

• GNFNR 1

I love Breakdown. The lyrics are some of Axl's best and when the fast parts kick in it really makes it shine. I like Slash's solo that goes underneath Axl's speech at the end a lot as well.

But Locomotive is just something else. The whole song is perfection. I've re-winded the CD literally a million times just to hear that part over and over. I can also relate a great deal to the lyrics because of situations in my past. 

Edited by SlashisGOD