Our Interview with Doug Goldstein (Former GNR Manager)

25 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

can u guys do an interview with Traci Lords by any chance I'd like to hear her side of the story of her somewhat tumultuous relationship with Slash 

yeah i've been wanting to get her on. Just haven't gotten around to it. I'll give it a shot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidman69 said:

yup it's blowing up! It got posted on Ultimate Classic Rock, NME.com, a portugese, irish and some south american site, UpRoxx, Alt Nation and Consequence of Sound!

Yes,very deserve, i be happy for you and you great work👍

Good job with the interview.

Love or hate Doug Goldstein- fact of the matter is that I (and I am sure many others here) pretty much hung on his every word 1991-2002. A lot of times his occasional pronouncements were the only “windows” into the band whatsoever. Listening to him now was like having a piece of my “youth” back. Pretty cool. 😎 

5 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Good job with the interview.

Love or hate Doug Goldstein- fact of the matter is that I (and I am sure many others here) pretty much hung on his every word 1991-2002. A lot of times his occasional pronouncements were the only “windows” into the band whatsoever. Listening to him now was like having a piece of my “youth” back. Pretty cool. 😎 

He gave interviews in the 90s? Never heard any. What did he talk about back then?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

can u guys do an interview with Traci Lords by any chance I'd like to hear her side of the story of her somewhat tumultuous relationship with Slash 

Would be funny to hear her recollection of going to slashs place and seeing him and west arkeen smoking crack. Im hoping sidman your able to get an interview with matt sorum...granted he would talk about himself a lot but as he claims to remember more than duff he would give us an excellent insight into the band chemistry/musical output of the 94-96 period.

On 29/03/2018 at 6:47 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

Does anyone believe this Michael Jackson story and the rift it caused? I seriously can’t see Axl making assumptions of guilt on MJ’s behalf. And the Dr. Feelsgiod story? Hmmmm. He says Duff and Slash were so high they never remembered much, but yet they can recall a rift was stolen. But, great interview. Thanks guys. Made world bearable today.

The Michael Jackson story is totally fabricated. The time line of events makes zero sense and it's clearly made up, just like a lot of the stuff this guy spouts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jw224 said:

The Michael Jackson story is totally fabricated. The time line of events makes zero sense and it's clearly made up, just like a lot of the stuff this guy spouts. 

💯Michael Jackson story fabricated👍

23 hours ago, Blackstar said:

In my opinion it's possible that Axl had an issue with MJ back then - I can't think of another plausible explanation for his speech in the 1992 VMA. But I don't think it was that crucial to be the reason for the band breaking up, as Doug claims.

Is Axl saying random things in a public forum that much of a stretch? ;) 

Doug is playing fast and loose with the facts since he alleged (and then slightly walked back) that Axl and Slash fractured their relationship in part because Slash played with an alleged child molester despite knowing Axl's past. Regardless of the dates not corroborating that theory - you also have Slash coming out and calling this theory BS along with Axl listing MJ as one of his favorite singers. Only other thing I can think of here would be that post-93 allegations, this becomes a sticking point for Axl which I suppose may be possible. But if the rumors about Axl's reaction to Kurt Cobain's death have any basis in reality, it's not a stretch to imagine he may have seen MJ as a kindred spirit. They were both high profile tortured artists who were getting hounded and torn apart by the press all throughout the early-mid 90's. Doug's theory just seems hard to believe.

If Axl had an issue with MJ, I'd guess he may have felt that associating GnR with the gloved one would have undermined their street cred. But playing with Elton John on a 10 minute ballad with background singers in the midst of grunge probably did way more damage on that front. Or it could have been that he resented Slash for giving away a riff to MJ - this seems a bit more plausible. Axl was not enthusiastic about Slash playing with artists outside of their little rock bubble - and he didn't like Slash doing solo projects since he felt that material belonged to GnR.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, downzy said:

By 1992 and 1993, GNR was a huge financial operation.  Yet Doug doesn't seem to want to remind everyone of that fact nor how his own financial motivations might have led to some bad decisions on his part. 

And that's not to knock the guy.  Very few people out there are altruistic enough to truly put the welfare of others over their own wants and needs.  I can't say that I would do things differently if I were in his shoes at the time.

But come on, the guy who had every career and financial incentive to see Niven gone did his best to keep Niven from getting fired?  Really?  

And can we really assume that Doug's not interested in re-writing history in the hopes of being asked to come back on board?  He makes it clear several times in the interview that were he involved in the NITL tour that the band would be making more money.  Everyone has an agenda and I don't necessarily begrudge Doug for having his, but I think it's important to keep things in perspective as to why he's interested in promoting his side of the story.  As someone who is close to the band once told me, Doug is a master of trying to play both sides and it was that strategy that furthered the band's implosion way back when.   

So again, I'd advise taking the interview for what it's worth.  It's an interesting perspective for us on the outside looking in, but it's also one that serves Doug's interests.  

What's odd to me is that on one hand, he seems to be angling with the past few interviews to get back into the good graces of the GnR camp and potentially get his paws on that reunion cash - but on the other hand, he's reopening old wounds by dissecting all the drama of the band on a public forum. To make matters worse, he's also embellishing things to a laughable extent. How is the latter going to endear him in any way to Duff and Slash who loathe him? If Doug wanted to win them back, you'd think he'd just make his mea culpas and tell the truth to the best of his ability (and dodge the more incendiary topics). 

I'm not quite sure what his agenda is here but he's going about this like Matt Sorum now. Both of them seem to have that "I've got nothing to lose, I don't care about repercussions because there's no way back into the inner circle, so I'm telling everything" attitude. Maybe it's a negotiating ploy to force the big three to throw him a bone to shut him up.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Is Axl saying random things in a public forum that much of a stretch? ;) 

Doug is playing fast and loose with the facts since he alleged (and then slightly walked back) that Axl and Slash fractured their relationship in part because Slash played with an alleged child molester despite knowing Axl's past. Regardless of the dates not corroborating that theory - you also have Slash coming out and calling this theory BS along with Axl listing MJ as one of his favorite singers. Only other thing I can think of here would be that post-93 allegations, this becomes a sticking point for Axl which I suppose may be possible. But if the rumors about Axl's reaction to Kurt Cobain's death have any basis in reality, it's not a stretch to imagine he may have seen MJ as a kindred spirit. They were both high profile tortured artists who were getting hounded and torn apart by the press all throughout the early-mid 90's. Doug's theory just seems hard to believe.

If Axl had an issue with MJ, I'd guess he may have felt that associating GnR with the gloved one would have undermined their street cred. But playing with Elton John on a 10 minute ballad with background singers in the midst of grunge probably did way more damage on that front. Or it could have been that he resented Slash for giving away a riff to MJ - this seems a bit more plausible. Axl was not enthusiastic about Slash playing with artists outside of their little rock bubble - and he didn't like Slash doing solo projects since he felt that material belonged to GnR.

Yeah, these theories are plausible.

I just find it weird - even for Axl's standards - to say with such emphasis "this doesn't have anything to do with MJ" in his VMA speech.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I just find it weird - even for Axl's standards - to say with such emphasis "this doesn't have anything to do with MJ" in his VMA speech.

They were recieving an award for November Rain or Don’t cry, right? Of course it didn’t have anything to do with MJ. I don’t really understand the connection for that comment. Do you? :)

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

@Tori72

They were receiving the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. So it made sense. I thought Axl was an ass for saying that though. Michael is the king of videos.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RONIN said:

What's odd to me is that on one hand, he seems to be angling with the past few interviews to get back into the good graces of the GnR camp and potentially get his paws on that reunion cash - but on the other hand, he's reopening old wounds by dissecting all the drama of the band on a public forum. To make matters worse, he's also embellishing things to a laughable extent. How is the latter going to endear him in any way to Duff and Slash who loathe him? If Doug wanted to win them back, you'd think he'd just make his mea culpas and tell the truth to the best of his ability (and dodge the more incendiary topics). 

I'm not quite sure what his agenda is here but he's going about this like Matt Sorum now. Both of them seem to have that "I've got nothing to lose, I don't care about repercussions because there's no way back into the inner circle, so I'm telling everything" attitude.

I think Doug tried a different strategy in Mick Wall's book, where he appeared apologetic about not letting Axl and Slash talk to each other, gave another version about the band name story, etc. When he saw that it didn't work and most likely made things worse with Axl's camp, he changed his strategy again for this podcast. Probably the "crying for Duff" thing is part of it. He knows he doesn't have a chance with Slash, so he focuses on Duff who is known to be more "forgiving"; and at the same time he tries to appease Axl.

9 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

They were recieving an award for November Rain or Don’t cry, right? Of course it didn’t have anything to do with MJ. I don’t really understand the connection for that comment. Do you? :)

It was for the November Rain video, yes. The award beared MJ's name, "The MJ achievement award" or something like that.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Doug tried a different strategy in Mick Wall's book, where he appeared apologetic about not letting Axl and Slash talk to each other, gave another version about the band name story, etc. When he saw that it didn't work and most likely made things worse with Axl's camp, he changed his strategy again for this podcast. Probably the "crying for Duff" thing is part of it. He knows he doesn't have a chance with Slash, so he focuses on Duff who is known to be more "forgiving"; and at the same time he tries to appease Axl.

It was for the November Rain video, yes. The award beared MJ's name, "The MJ achievement award" or something like that.

He's a slippery one isn't he? :lol:

I hope a forthcoming book talks a little about the relationship between Doug and Beta and how they both fell out. Iirc, Beta is alleged to be the one who suggested to Doug that he should write a letter to Axl to get his job back and then made that pathetic letter public knowing it would humiliate him. 

• Like 3