AFD - Both Special Editions (Piece-By-Piece Unboxing)

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Anyone who thinks rape is an injustice, would not make a painting depicting the injustice, simply because you dont want victims reliving that situation. 

That's ridiculous. So anyone who think murder is an injustice, would not make a movie depicting the injustice, either? Or violence? Or any amoral act? Following that logic, art could never depict anything that is wrong. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Towelie said:

(...)  then you ought to never wear a GNR band t-shirt again.

Actually you can. I had two custom gnr shirts made for me using vector logos. I don't like shirts made by Fernando, they're horrible

Edited by uruguns
  • GNFNR 1

From what I heard, Marc was asked by Axl to not release the book before Chinese Democracy came out, and he agreed to it initially. Axl didn’t want any Reunion talk at that time, because he felt it would be bad for CD’s promotion.

However, Chinese Democracy which was supposed to be released and was delayed once again for the 1000 time, and Marc got tired of waiting and went ahead and released his book without Axl’s blessing.

11 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

From what I heard, Marc was asked by Axl to not release the book before Chinese Democracy came out, and he agreed to it initially. Axl didn’t want any Reunion talk at that time, because he felt it would be bad for CD’s promotion.

However, Chinese Democracy which was supposed to be released and was delayed once again for the 1000 time, and Marc got tired of waiting and went ahead and released his book without Axl’s blessing.

Not quite - I remember Marc saying something to the effect of, he had a contract with a publishing company and couldn't back out of it. So the book kind of 'had to' come out at that time. I can see why Axl didn't want it to come out shortly before CD, but not everyone has Axl's resources to deal with legal shit either so I get Marc's side too.

• Like 1

Guns N' Roses are not some basket case which requires charity. They are a band and bands produce products that you buy (if you so wish) and receive music in exchange. I have bought billions of albums many in fact that I like more than Appetite for Destruction - but I've never felt some need to throw an extra lump sum at the acts who made any of them. It is already a fair exchange: quid pro quo. I have adequately paid those acts by the simple act of purchasing the album in the first place (I may have bought a few duds by that same act which they still gain a percentage from, so they are gaining extra irrespective).

And if there is a band less worthy to throw money at than Guns N' Roses I cannot recall it right now? 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Guns N' Roses are not some basket case which requires charity. They are a band and bands produce products that you buy (if you so wish) and receive music in exchange. I have bought billions of albums many in fact that I like more than Appetite for Destruction - but I've never felt some need to throw an extra lump sum at the acts who made any of them. It is already a fair exchange: quid pro quo. I have adequately paid those acts by the simple act of purchasing the album in the first place (I may have bought a few duds by that same act which they still gain a percentage from, so they are gaining extra irrespective).

And if there is a band less worthy to throw money at than Guns N' Roses I cannot recall it right now? 

Again, we are wired differently. There is no right or wrong here. To me, AFD has been such a pivotal piece of art, formative really, that I absolutely think I have received a lot more for the few euros I spent on the record. I am basically paying back a bit by buying this product which is a celebration of AFD. Not because I have to, not because I owe the band anything in a financial sense, but because I think it is fair for me to do it. It makes me feel good. It feels right. I am not above (or below) paying extra for extraordinary services rendered, even if I don't legally have to. And how the band operates today is completely irrelevant. This isn't about GN'R anno 2018, this is about AFD anno 1987, about a young kid who listened to the album everyday on his Walkman, who took the sleeve and a dictionary to bed to read the lyrics over and over again, who started buying RIP and Kerrang! to learn more about the musicians, who because of his newfound love for loud guitars and emotive vocals started listening to other rock bands which permanently altered his music preferences and probably much more, about a boy who got his first fuck because he grew his hair long to look like Axl, about a boy who ended up with a life-long hobby/fascination. And you know I don't like how the band operates today, we agree on that. But it is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what the band does now, it will not change how I feel about AFD and GN'R back in the 80s, and this is all about that. Even if they are wankers today, they still gave me so much. And you still won't get it, and that is fine. There simply is no right or wrong here and if I can't make you accept that we are different in this sense, then there is nothing I can do about that, I can't express myself better.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Again, we are wired differently. There is no right or wrong here. To me, AFD has been such a pivotal piece of art, formative really, that I absolutely think I have received a lot more for the few euros I spent on the record. I am basically paying back a bit by buying this product which is a celebration of AFD. Not because I have to, not because I owe the band anything in a financial sense, but because I think it is fair for me to do it. It makes me feel good. It feels right. I am not above (or below) paying extra for extraordinary services rendered, even if I don't legally have to. And how the band operates today is completely irrelevant. This isn't about GN'R anno 2018, this is about AFD anno 1987, about a young kid who listened to the album everyday on his Walkman, who took the sleeve and a dictionary to bed to read the lyrics over and over again, who started buying RIP and Kerrang! to learn more about the musicians, who because of his newfound love for loud guitars and emotive vocals started listening to other rock bands which permanently altered his music preferences and probably much more, about a boy who got his first fuck because he grew his hair long to look like Axl, about a boy who ended up with a life-long hobby/fascination. And you know I don't like how the band operates today, we agree on that. But it is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what the band does now, it will not change how I feel about AFD and GN'R back in the 80s, and this is all about that. Even if they are wankers today, they still gave me so much. And you still won't get it, and that is fine. There simply is no right or wrong here and if I can't make you accept that we are different in this sense, then there is nothing I can do about that, I can't express myself better.

I think you already know we are ''wired differently'', judged from a whole multitude of topics haha.

The bit in bold applies to me also - especially the guitar bit (inspired by Slash) - but I still don't feel the need to pay beyond the price I originally paid for the album. Are You Experienced? and Abbey Road (etc etc) did similar so I would be tremendously poor if I did this to all the albums which inspired in a similar manner. 

Apart from, returning to your quote, ''grew his hair long to look like Axl''. You were basically considered a - political correct times so how do I put this? - homosexual gentleman if you had long hair in the north east of England when I was growing up. With long hair, the girls would merely consider you a spotty heavy metal virgin with a Warhammer fixation. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think you already know we are ''wired differently'', judged from a whole multitude of topics haha.

The bit in bold applies to me also - especially the guitar bit (inspired by Slash) - but I still don't feel the need to pay beyond the price I originally paid for the album. Are You Experienced? and Abbey Road (etc etc) did similar so I would be tremendously poor if I did this to all the albums which did similar. 

Apart from, returning to your quote, ''grew his hair long to look like Axl''. You were basically considered a - political correct times so how do I put this? - homosexual gentleman if you had long hair in the north east of England when I was growing up. With long hair, the girls would merely consider you a spotty heavy metal virgin with a Warhammer fixation. 

Haha. As an average looking dude what I discovered was that it is better to stand out in some way, be unique, and go for the smaller niche group of girls who will be attracted to that, than to remain average and compete with thousands of other guys, some of them guaranteed to be better looking, smarter or funnier. A big fish in a small pond, and all that. 

I also wouldn't characterize me wanting to pay for the product as a "need". It is not such a strong emotion. Just a mild feeling of doing something right, you know? Like an added bonus on top of the demos and the book. And to me, AFD stands alone. No other record that at all comes close to what AFD has meant to me. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Ok, what I really want to know is, if there is one person on this forum who bought the locked n loaded box and has the balls to "confess". 

I did right at the second when the pre-order was set and kind of regret it today. One second I have multiple reasons for justifying my purchase to myself and the other I cannot believe I was so hyped by this thing and so stupid to click "buy" without rational thinking.

Anyways, am I alone? Will I be the only person on this planet (or at least on this forum) who will own this box filled with some music and lots of crap?!  

1 minute ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Ok, what I really want to know is, if there is one person on this forum who bought the locked n loaded box and has the balls to "confess". 

I did right at the second when the pre-order was set and kind of regret it today. One second I have multiple reasons for justifying my purchase to myself and the other I cannot believe I was so hyped by this thing and so stupid to click "buy" without rational thinking.

Anyways, am I alone? Will I be the only person on this planet (or at least on this forum) who will own this box filled with some music and lots of crap?!  

I was ready to buy on the day it was announced, if it had been $650. That's still expensive, but I would've pulled the trigger just to get the vinyl. As soon as I found out it was $1000, I went from paying $650 to $0 because all I wanted was the vinyl. I can listen to everything else via streaming.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

There's some people in that Facebook group who bought it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

I dont think you must be the only one but to be honest, the more I see these unboxing videos and find more information on the packages, the less I want to buy any of it.

I had hopes on the book being a novelty and something really cool but by the looks of it, they are the same pics you can find all over the Internet :shrugs: so I cant tell if I will ever buy some of this....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I was ready to buy on the day it was announced, if it had been $650. That's still expensive, but I would've pulled the trigger just to get the vinyl. As soon as I found out it was $1000, I went from paying $650 to $0 because all I wanted was the vinyl. I can listen to everything else via streaming.

This describes exactly what happened to me except for the fact that I said to myself "even 650 are so ridiculous that it doesn't matter if I pay 300 more" and then just clicked "buy". 

I am a cd and record collector for 30 years and I wantd the vinyl of the demos so much. I was not willing to pay 180€ for four CDs only, so I decided to pay 950€ the whole package instead and being forced to buy lots of crap I habe exactly  zero interest in, like rings, fake tattoos, copies of flyers (I do own originals) and so on. 

I blame the management/band for not releasing a stand alone vinyl issue of the demo recordings. This is such a fuckin bitch move. 

2 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

This describes exactly what happened to me except for the fact that I said to myself "even 650 are so ridiculous that it doesn't matter if I pay 300 more" and then just clicked "buy". 

I am a cd and record collector for 30 years and I wantd the vinyl of the demos so much. I was not willing to pay 180€ for four CDs only, so I decided to pay 950€ the whole package instead and being forced to buy lots of crap I habe exactly  zero interest in, like rings, fake tattoos, copies of flyers (I do own originals) and so on. 

I blame the management/band for not releasing a stand alone vinyl issue of the demo recordings. This is such a fuckin bitch move. 

Great, 9.999 boxsets left in the warehouse

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I've got the record / music collecting game on lock down lol:

9u8cpc.jpg

I felt the same way: I took about 10 minutes to do the "Well... What's the big deal between $650 and $1000 really" dance. 

Then I came to the conclusion that I just wouldn't let them take that much advantage of me. Haven't thought twice about it since. 

The pic looks great and familiar, Russ :-)

I wish I had decided like you regarding the box set. But you know what: I spent so much money during the last 30 years for records I rarely listened to and/or will never ever spin again, so why longer blame myself for buying a new special edition of an album I bought 30 years ago and I still listen to on s regular basis. Its not that I can shit money but this album means so much to me that in the end I can look in the mirror and can somehow justify this ridiculous overpriced purchase. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I'll probably end up buying the Super Deluxe version for a decent price.. Someone said they got it for $113. That seems worth it too me.

ImportCDs has it for $126, and had a 10% off coupon for a while, so $113 (plus $3 shipping).  Best price thus far.

What usually happens with these is that Amazon gets a few returns and then puts them on Warehouse Deals at close to half price.  That's how I got the Sgt. Pepper boxset for $60.  AFD is going to be the first one of these super deluxe editions I buy on release day.

Edited by Ubertrout
  • Like 1

On 23/06/2018 at 2:40 AM, RussTCB said:

I'm sorry but I just can't understand anyone who is paying for this in any way, shape or form. In the age of streaming, everything in this set will be available to listen to without spending $180.

My theory is it has a certain market, collectors, super fans. And when you do the numbers it will sell 20k-200k at 1k and that makes more than a new album. 

It might even be like memorabilia people who just buy them up to sell them again in 10-20 years. 

I’m probably still getting the 2-cd version. The second disc is interesting enough. It might all be online but I’m too lazy to find it.

Also it’s a remastered AFD so I can at least bitch about it legitmately if I buy it. 

7 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

The Deluxe of PR is pretty shocking too...The DVD is one of the worst looking live gigs you could ever watch and not JUST for 2017...they didn't clean it up at all...
The only half decent thing about it, was the bonus tracks...Remaster did nothing.

Yeah the remaster is brickwalled and the DVD is not better looking than my VHS rip of that show, however I found the premise and layout of the content a lot more appealing than this Appetite set, like I don't feel any buyers remorse with the Purple Rain set because the Vault Disk and the DVD were still awesome to me

With dropping $180 dollars on a book that is way less interesting and comprehensive than Reckless Road and 4 CD's, I just cannot justify that price tag

As dumb as the merchandise and $180 seems, I’ll be happy to have all the discs. That’s the only thing stopping me from canceling the order. I’ve been impressed enough with the quality of the songs released so far that I’ll be thrilled to finally have these demos/unreleased tracks in much better quality than my old bootlegs.

• Like 1