Jump to content
Live Like a Suicide

What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

American drone attacks?

 

Well they wouldn't be living if they were subject to that, would they? :lol:  Well, actually, crippled perhaps? :lol:

23 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Shouldn't Len's parents sort him out with a wife, anyway? Or is his lisp a deal breaker? 

There's a funny story behind that actually, y'know the woman I call Mum?  Well...

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Don't forget about the stable of swans in his backyard

They're called pens you ignorant swine :lol:  Which, incidentally, is what a female swan is also called.  Confuses the fuck out of em, lemme tell ya.  Not that it makes a difference where they're headed *cue Norman Bates smile*

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

- I don' get all this "Izzy hype". He's a great musician and an essential credited member, but he quited the band by himself and avoided it's live peak period, so wasn't a "Gunner" till the end. Yet again, whatever the reasons, he has avoided the reunion. Key members reunited, Adler joined, Gilby said that he turned down, only Izzy cried about sharing the loot. Coincedence? Think not. Of course, I'm not bitching him, but as Axl said "Izzy... it's Izzy". For sure, it would be awesome if he would show up, but I don't mind if he won't at all. His choice, not others.   

- I don't mind, if Guns' will tour for a little whille more. I'm really fascinated to get the new album, but after all, it's hard to imagine that it'll be innovative or at least half worth of AFD or UYI. I eventually liked some titles from CD after Slash and Duff played it, but that's not the thing I would like to get one more time. I'm honest with myself - what I want to hear on Guns' show is its instant calssic - Jungle, City, Civil War, YCBM, some original deep cuts and other warm and fuzzy stuff. I enjoy hearing some CD songs as well, but nothing will compare to the earlier material. All in all, the new album should be released as it would be a logical continuation of a current life cycle, but I don't see an urgency in it. What they should do now is to start playing deep cuts. SOYL was a some sort of a revelation. 

All for now...

  

Edited by nikothebellic
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nikothebellic said:

- I don' get all this "Izzy hype". He's a great musician and an essential credited member, but he quited the band by himself and avoided it's live peak period, so wasn't a "Gunner" till the end. Yet again, whatever the reasons, he has avoided the reunion. Key members reunited, Adler joined, Gilby said that he turned down, only Izzy cried about sharing the loot. Coincedence? Think not. Of course, I'm not bitching him, but as Axl said "Izzy... it's Izzy". For sure, it would be awesome if he would show up, but I don't mind if he won't at all. His choice, not others.   

- I don't mind, if Guns' will tour for a little whille more. I'm really fascinated to get the new album, but after all, it's hard to imagine that it'll be innotave or at least half worth of AFD or UYI. I eventually liked some titles from CD after Slash and Duff played it, but that's not the thing I would like to get one more time. I'm honest with myself - what I want to hear on Guns' show is its instant calssic - Jungle, City, Civil War, YCBM, some original deep cuts and other warm and fuzzy stuff. I lenjoy hearing some CD songs as well, but nothing will compare to the earlier material. All in all, the new album should be released as it would be a logical continuation of a current life cycle, but I don't see an urgency in it. What they should do now is to start playing deep cuts. SOYL was a some sort of a revelation. 

All for now...

  

I dont blame izzy going. The band were self destructing with drugs which was an issue for a drug free izzy plus axl toga like after show parties would have been embarrassing. Plus the band were spending so much money on after show parties and getting fined for playing late all that izzy could no longer handle. His sobriety was the main reason i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The only really unpopular opinion I use to have was that the CD era was basically an Axl Rose solo project. But now, that seems like the popular opinion so... I guess after almost two decades, I've been vindicated... haha.

Edited by Nintari
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nintari said:

The only really unpopular opinion I use to have was that the CD era was basically an Axl Rose solo project. But now, that seems like the popular opinion so... I guess after almost two decades, I've been vindicated... haha.

I totally agree.  It was and always will be an Axl Rose solo project.  95% of people only know GNR wth Axl, Slash, and the 87-93 guys. 

The Axl Rose solo project opinion is only unpopular with the few folks who bow to the almighty Buckethead lol.  The rest of that lineup just plays the parts that the original guys made famous.  AKA cover band with Axl singing.

The current lineup is only a semi-reunion with guys copying and pasting what Izzy, Steve, and Matt originally did.  But much BETTER than the alternative.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While new music would be nice, ultimately it would just take away space from classic songs in the setlist meaning that we would complain more about the setlist. That being said id love new music but i'd also like to hear what has been recorded and is stored in the vault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CD was not a solo project.

 

My reasoning: the amount of music that Axl did not write.

 

Based on the chinese whispers thread and ASCAP credits,I am fairly certain the only songs that Axl wrote the majority of the core music was TIL and Madagascar. Prostitute is next on the list because theres no doubt in my mind that Axl wrote the verse piano part, but who knows who thought of the chord progressions for everything else (chorus, double bass part etc); couldve been Finck or Tobias.

 

Not to mention that while he may have helped write some string parts,the majority of that task was taken on by film composer Marco Beltrami. Thats not to say that Axl didn't arrange all of the songs himself, as im sure he did (for 10 years)

 

Most if not all the guitar riffs were written by the band members. (All the guitar riffs in Better were written by Finck,Fortus, and Buckethead, CDs main riff was written by Josh Freese, Shacklers and Scraped was written by Buckethead and Brain, Riads main riff was probably written by Tommy, I.R.S.s riffs were probably written entirely by Tobias and judging from the organ parts, Dizzy Reed)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nintari said:

The only really unpopular opinion I use to have was that the CD era was basically an Axl Rose solo project. But now, that seems like the popular opinion so... I guess after almost two decades, I've been vindicated... haha.

Really? I can't remember that ever being an unpopular opinion, that was pretty much the norm.

If anything, it's the other way round, with nuGuns over and Slash & Duff back, way more people have been able to look back at the CD era and appreciate it for what it was - with a lot of people even admitting they only gave it a chance and liked the album because Slash and Duff were willing to play it.

Sounds more like Axl was the one who was vindicated :lol:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mendez said:

CD was not a solo project.

 

My reasoning: the amount of music that Axl did not write.

 

Based on the chinese whispers thread and ASCAP credits,I am fairly certain the only songs that Axl wrote the majority of the core music was TIL and Madagascar. Prostitute is next on the list because theres no doubt in my mind that Axl wrote the verse piano part, but who knows who thought of the chord progressions for everything else (chorus, double bass part etc); couldve been Finck or Tobias.

 

Not to mention that while he may have helped write some string parts,the majority of that task was taken on by film composer Marco Beltrami. Thats not to say that Axl didn't arrange all of the songs himself, as im sure he did (for 10 years)

 

Most if not all the guitar riffs were written by the band members. (All the guitar riffs in Better were written by Finck,Fortus, and Buckethead, CDs main riff was written by Josh Freese, Shacklers and Scraped was written by Buckethead and Brain, Riads main riff was probably written by Tommy, I.R.S.s riffs were probably written entirely by Tobias and judging from the organ parts, Dizzy Reed)

One thing you could add to this, is that Axl didn't approach the project as a solo project. He didn't have the freedom to make any kind of music that he wants, cause he had a certain idea of what GNR music is supposed to be. According to Axl his solo material would be a lot more instrumental.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit, Axl sounds a fuck load better than Neil Young when he covers Don't Let It Bring You Down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chinese Democracy sales have not gone anywhere, even with the NITL tour.  Streaming of the songs have increased, most likely out of curiosity as to what the band is playing in the setlist.  There are only two good songs on that record, Better and TWAT.  Street of Dreams made me throw up a little in my mouth when I heard it.  IRS is stupid.  Madagascar is OK but not great.  The rest is a mishmash of wannabe Nine Inch Nails.  Axl's dream of re-imaging the band was a commercial failure.  That era turned Axl into a joke in the eyes of so many people.  

I'm just glad that a new chapter began with Slash and Duff back in the fold.  A lil' redemption for Axl and the band's legacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Dissident said:

While new music would be nice, ultimately it would just take away space from classic songs in the setlist meaning that we would complain more about the setlist. That being said id love new music but i'd also like to hear what has been recorded and is stored in the vault

Are you serious? I don't think anybody on here would be complaining if six new songs replaced Double Talkin Jive, The Seeker, Shadow of Your Love, Slither, This I Love and Coma (which has sounded dreadful since 2017).

There is plenty of room in the setlist for new songs.

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. W. Axl Rose, Slash, Stradlin, Adler, Duff are what made Guns N' Roses a cultural phenomenon. When the band started showing cracks, as any sky-rocketing band would, it fell apart.

2. Axl Rose CD was an amazing album that would have changed rock forever if it was introduced in 94.

3. All the stand-in players from UYI-Present are excellent, but not what made Guns N' Roses launch Axl to the greatest frontman/rock singer of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My unpopular opinion is that the current band lineup just doesn’t sound good.

As great as it is to have two original members back in the fold, the musical chemistry just isn’t there.

 

An even more unpopular statement is that some, if not all of Axls vocals are borderline unlistenable live.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Are you serious? I don't think anybody on here would be complaining if six new songs replaced Double Talkin Jive, The Seeker, Shadow of Your Love, Slither, This I Love and Coma (which has sounded dreadful since 2017).

There is plenty of room in the setlist for new songs.

I'd replace 1 of those songs, being TIL. Coma if it gets swapped it would have to be with some other deep cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My unpopular opinion: GnR is from West Hollywood. West Hollywood has an In-and-Out Burger. In-and-Out Burger is TRASH!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Carne_asaDA said:

My unpopular opinion: GnR is from West Hollywood. West Hollywood has an In-and-Out Burger. In-and-Out Burger is TRASH!!!

Yup In N Out is overrated.  Original Tommy's Burgers is better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 2:14 PM, Sydney Fan said:

I dont blame izzy going. The band were self destructing with drugs which was an issue for a drug free izzy plus axl toga like after show parties would have been embarrassing. Plus the band were spending so much money on after show parties and getting fined for playing late all that izzy could no longer handle. His sobriety was the main reason i think.

I kept hearing that reason but somehow in time I began to think that the big picture was more complex that it looked.

- about his sobriety, I admitt it could have been a good reason but I must say that he was the only one from the band that would need to run very far away from all in order to stay sober. Axl became also sober very early, mainly because he wanted to deal with his deeper mental issues in an more medical, healthy way.. So Izzy wasn t alone in his sobriety. Also it was interesting because Izzy was the only one from the band who was not only a user but also a drug dealer even from  the first years in Los Angeles. When Duff or Slash would become sober also, they didnt need to leave LA. They would just stay away from the dangerous places or people. I also found interesting the place that Izzy would choose to move from LA - back in Indiana. I read an interwiev of Axl from that time, he seemed stunned that Izzy would choose to go back home, he emphasized that Izzy hated Indiana.

- the after party thing was easy to resolve, the main issue it was that none of them would adress to Axl about it. That was the main issue in the band - the lack of communication. Axl would be blame for that most of the time despite of the fact that was an issue of them all. I read that Izzy was upset that Slash or Duff didn t want to rehearse singing songs in case that Axl would refuse to sing or would refuse to  come to concerts at all. But why waiting for the others, I saw Izzy singing with his own band so why never tried to do that for GNR? And I must say that Izzy was the one that Axl would have been listening most - after all, he was his childhood friend, axl came fom Indiana in LA looking for Izzy in the first place. But there is no mentioned discution about Izzy trying to express his concerns or doing something about, other thing than quiting.

So even though I don t blame him for quiting (because the main GNR credo is I do want I want, I don t do anything that I don t feel to), I think he was dishonest about the reasons and somehow he wanted the others to be blamed for that. I think he didnt like the magnitude of GNR raising fame - it was something that he didn t expect or anticipated.  It was his right to quit but if the others would have been done the same thing, the GNR legacy today would be much smaller, 90 - 95 era was essential for establishing GNR as an iconic band and a cultural phenomenon. It was hard for all of them, at a point they would become trapped in hotels rooms, chased by fans, their privacy would become more and more difficult to keep but Izzy was the only one not strong enough to face it.

He just couldnt handle but somehow he didn t admit that to himself.   And that is my unpopular belief :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LauraS said:

I kept hearing that reason but somehow in time I began to think that the big picture was more complex that it looked.

- about his sobriety, I admitt it could have been a good reason but I must say that he was the only one from the band that would need to run very far away from all in order to stay sober. Axl became also sober very early, mainly because he wanted to deal with his deeper mental issues in an more medical, healthy way.. So Izzy wasn t alone in his sobriety. Also it was interesting because Izzy was the only one from the band who was not only a user but also a drug dealer even from  the first years in Los Angeles. When Duff or Slash would become sober also, they didnt need to leave LA. They would just stay away from the dangerous places or people. I also found interesting the place that Izzy would choose to move from LA - back in Indiana. I read an interwiev of Axl from that time, he seemed stunned that Izzy would choose to go back home, he emphasized that Izzy hated Indiana.

- the after party thing was easy to resolve, the main issue it was that none of them would adress to Axl about it. That was the main issue in the band - the lack of communication. Axl would be blame for that most of the time despite of the fact that was an issue of them all. I read that Izzy was upset that Slash or Duff didn t want to rehearse singing songs in case that Axl would refuse to sing or would refuse to  come to concerts at all. But why waiting for the others, I saw Izzy singing with his own band so why never tried to do that for GNR? And I must say that Izzy was the one that Axl would have been listening most - after all, he was his childhood friend, axl came fom Indiana in LA looking for Izzy in the first place. But there is no mentioned discution about Izzy trying to express his concerns or doing something about, other thing than quiting.

So even though I don t blame him for quiting (because the main GNR credo is I do want I want, I don t do anything that I don t feel to), I think he was dishonest about the reasons and somehow he wanted the others to be blamed for that. I think he didnt like the magnitude of GNR raising fame - it was something that he didn t expect or anticipated.  It was his right to quit but if the others would have been done the same thing, the GNR legacy today would be much smaller, 90 - 95 era was essential for establishing GNR as an iconic band and a cultural phenomenon. It was hard for all of them, at a point they would become trapped in hotels rooms, chased by fans, their privacy would become more and more difficult to keep but Izzy was the only one not strong enough to face it.

He just couldnt handle but somehow he didn t admit that to himself.   And that is my unpopular belief :)

i agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Carne_asaDA said:

My unpopular opinion: GnR is from West Hollywood. West Hollywood has an In-and-Out Burger. In-and-Out Burger is TRASH!!!

I don't know that it's trash but it's basically Steak N Shake but a lot faster and a lot cheaper. It's certainly about as overrated as can be, it's just decent cheap fast food burgers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My unpopular opinion: Nightrain sounded much better live performed by Nu-GNR.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, TheFormerSoul said:

My unpopular opinion is that the current band lineup just doesn’t sound good.

As great as it is to have two original members back in the fold, the musical chemistry just isn’t there.

 

An even more unpopular statement is that some, if not all of Axls vocals are borderline unlistenable live.  

 

Do you feel that it's a lack of chemistry among all three or is it more Axl doesn't have it with Slash or Duff?  Back in the day I think the chemistry was influenced, both positively and negatively, by chemicals.😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Do you feel that it's a lack of chemistry among all three or is it more Axl doesn't have it with Slash or Duff?  Back in the day I think the chemistry was influenced, both positively and negatively, by chemicals.😄

I am going to assume you mean the rest of Axl’s musicians from the first part of your question.  

I think it’s both.  

The leftover NuGNR guys don’t mix with Slash or Duff on a purely musical level.  Additionally, I get the certain sense that there are still some communication challenges between the original three, and it reflects in the overall band chemistry live.  Not to mention this seems further reflected in the lack of clarity and derivative responses from the band members regarding the future of the band, especially in regards to new music.

Edited by TheFormerSoul
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×