What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

People who hold the opinion that the CD vault holds masterpieces like the Beach Boys Smile, or Surf's Up sessions, or some hidden Beatles or Buddy Holly album seem delusional. NOT because i think the album will be mediocre, but because it's unheard material for the most part. Holding your breathe and wanting to listen to tracks that couldn't beat out Riad N' the Bedouins or Scraped, to the point that i've heard people say they'd rather hear that then have proshots of GN'R concerts or rare tracks seems a little weird to me.. I get it, it's new music, but it seems that the CD extra tracks has this weird holy grail-Indiana Jones vibes. A siren song that draws these fans towards it like a cult. It's just strange to me. They're unheard tracks, i wouldn't mind listening, but based on CD, its probably going to be overproduced and about 10 years to late...for 2008, let alone today. 

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, axlslash said:

2006 is hands down the best any iteration of GNR has ever sounded live. 

I give the slight edge to the '88/'89, but 2006 is a very close second. They were just firing on all cylinders and it looked like Axl had a fire in his gut and had something to prove.

Edited by BangoSkank

2 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

People who hold the opinion that the CD vault holds masterpieces like the Beach Boys Smile, or Surf's Up sessions, or some hidden Beatles or Buddy Holly album seem delusional. NOT because i think the album will be mediocre, but because it's unheard material for the most part. Holding your breathe and wanting to listen to tracks that couldn't beat out Riad N' the Bedouins or Scraped, to the point that i've heard people say they'd rather hear that then have proshots of GN'R concerts or rare tracks seems a little weird to me.. I get it, it's new music, but it seems that the CD extra tracks has this weird holy grail-Indiana Jones vibes. A siren song that draws these fans towards it like a cult. It's just strange to me. They're unheard tracks, i wouldn't mind listening, but based on CD, its probably going to be overproduced and about 10 years to late...for 2008, let alone today. 

I agree that it's weird to treat the CD2 material as some sort of 'unheard masterpiece' but I get why people really want to hear it. I like CD, I really want to hear the CD2 songs, because even though there's some duds on CD the potential for great material is there - Axl is my favourite singer, Brain and Buckethead are some of my favourite musicians, there's some great stuff on CD and it seems that some 'A list' songs were intentionally left off. The best possible scenario for a new release would be an album (re)recorded by the NITL line-up, with a bonus disc of 'early versions' of whatever CD-era songs this band ends up releasing.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2019 at 11:15 PM, Nintari said:

The only really unpopular opinion I use to have was that the CD era was basically an Axl Rose solo project. But now, that seems like the popular opinion so... I guess after almost two decades, I've been vindicated... haha.

(not necessarily an unpopular opinion but here goes) I think that although CD wasn't a true GNR album (there was only 1/5 of the original lineup left). I don't think it is correct to call it a solo project, the songs written were still composed like a band, riffs from Bucket e.c.t. and lyrics from Axl, although I dont think CD was a true GNR album, it should have been released as a new band, not under the banner of GNR, but who am I to judge Axls actions, its just what I think would have been more fitting to the GNR name

On 4/10/2019 at 1:52 PM, Mudd said:

1. Don't Damn Me is the greatest GNR song

2. Slash's solo on Elan's Street Child single is some of his best work ever

3. Love The Seeker

4. I hate ending every show with Paradise City- let it rest.

5. I really wanted a 3rd VR album to bounce back from Libertad

Paradise City is the best opener.

2006 would have been incredible with someone better than Robin Stinck on lead. That was your real window to have a real killer "reunion" - as Axl was in phenomenal shape in all facets - most importantly, vocally. 

4 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

This is factually wrong because Axl said, even when Chinese was released, that it was meant to be a trilogy of albums. Or two atleast. So it’s obvious that there must be one or two (or more) songs with the quality of TWAT or Better or Prostitute. He wouldn’t use all the big guns on the first album and then have CDII filled of crap filler songs.

And also, Slash and Duff wouldn’t consider them for the new album. Not even Slash could save that Scraped garbage

Edited by GNRfanMILO

8 hours ago, ; D said:

(not necessarily an unpopular opinion but here goes) I think that although CD wasn't a true GNR album (there was only 1/5 of the original lineup left). I don't think it is correct to call it a solo project, the songs written were still composed like a band, riffs from Bucket e.c.t. and lyrics from Axl, although I dont think CD was a true GNR album, it should have been released as a new band, not under the banner of GNR, but who am I to judge Axls actions, its just what I think would have been more fitting to the GNR name

I think of it as a solo effort (and always have) because Axl was pretty much overseeing everything and making all the final decisions. When you have one member with that much control, how can it be a band? It seems contradictory to the entire concept.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

I think of it as a solo effort (and always have) because Axl was pretty much overseeing everything and making all the final decisions. When you have one member with that much control, how can it be a band? It seems contradictory to the entire concept.

dint Axl make a lot of the final decisions with the UYI albums?(not sure I could be wrong). Just because one person makes the final decisions doesn't mean the album wast written like a band (in my opinion), the other members still have an input, but not as big a one, its no way to lead a band in my opinion and a poor way to make an album, but I still think its a band

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

A band can't have a leader? Have you ever heard any of Prince or James Brown's bands for example? That's the sound of a well oiled machine, in comparison to how Guns imploded.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Further to these points, Axl seemed to have been very open to other's ideas, even to the point of being argued to include a song (This I Love) that he initially didn't want to include on the record. 

I believe he was so open to ideas because he couldnt really writte songs that werent piano or synth, so all he could do was point directions and expect for the best. 

We obviously doenst know the extent of Axls writting abilities, but Ive always seen him as a person who cant writte, just throw up ideas, piano songs and, of course, lyrics and vocal melodies. I wouldnt be surprised if Axl is the guy that goes to one of the composers and says: duuu du du dududu trying to explain what he wants. 

1 hour ago, default_ said:

I believe he was so open to ideas because he couldnt really writte songs that werent piano or synth, so all he could do was point directions and expect for the best. 

We obviously doenst know the extent of Axls writting abilities, but Ive always seen him as a person who cant writte, just throw up ideas, piano songs and, of course, lyrics and vocal melodies. I wouldnt be surprised if Axl is the guy that goes to one of the composers and says: duuu du du dududu trying to explain what he wants. 

Judging by his piano solos, he definitely doesn't seem like the kind of guy who hears a tune in his head and doesn't know how to get it onto tape.

A good melody is a good melody, piano or otherwise. Not at all out of the ordinary for demos to be written on piano and transposed to a more suitable instrument.

Having said that, he does seem to have more of an interest in cutting and sampling ideas together over more traditional writing.

22 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

This is factually wrong because Axl said, even when Chinese was released, that it was meant to be a trilogy of albums. Or two atleast. So it’s obvious that there must be one or two (or more) songs with the quality of TWAT or Better or Prostitute. He wouldn’t use all the big guns on the first album and then have CDII filled of crap filler songs.

And also, Slash and Duff wouldn’t consider them for the new album. Not even Slash could save that Scraped garbage

Just because there were 2 fairly good songs on CD I, doesn't necessitate that the other 2 albums have equally good tracks or better tracks. It's purely speculation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Judging by his piano solos, he definitely doesn't seem like the kind of guy who hears a tune in his head and doesn't know how to get it onto tape.

A good melody is a good melody, piano or otherwise. Not at all out of the ordinary for demos to be written on piano and transposed to a more suitable instrument.

Having said that, he does seem to have more of an interest in cutting and sampling ideas together over more traditional writing.

Yeah, he knows some notes and progressions and all of that but still, I dont believe he can writte anything that comes to his mind without a guide. 

Of course this was a loooong time ago but does any of you remember an old Tracii Guns interview where he said Axl only knew how to play the same thing on piano? He went on with that same thing for years and years and that eventually turned into November Rain?

And if we listen careful, these piano songs Axl wrotte are all similar. Some people call this "Axl unique way of playing" I call it the only stuff he knows how to play. 

1. My opinion is Axl did right about moving on without duff and slash back in the 90's. I really like Slash and Duff and what important part they had in the band. (Duff is the reason that I picked up the bass my self.) but they left the band.  

2. Axl was the key part for their success. everybody brought something to the band. it's like a recipe, axl is like the secret part of it.

3. I really like that Slash and Duff is back in the band, but I also like NuGNR lineup too. so I would bought tickets and albums anyway. 

4. no one can play tambourine like Chris Pittman. He had real passion for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know what is sad?  My fuckin world is better than anything Axl solo band ever recorded and it all took place under GNR moniker!

What a fuckin' ebarassment!  Ax should have called everything post '94 Axl's Roses or whatever.

You can not compare the band that played UYI tour up to the end with those uncharismatic bunch of ppl scrapped from all around the place to play parts of Slash, Matt, Duff, Iz/Gilby...

All of a sudden he needed 3 guitar players and like 3 keyboards to fit the void of Slash and Gilby.  What a fuckin embarassment.

You just can't call those ppl Guns N Roses, take a listen to UYI's and TSI vs CD, it is not even same style, so why call it same name when you are the only one there!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

You just can't call those ppl Guns N Roses, take a listen to UYI's and TSI vs CD, it is not even same style, so why call it same name when you are the only one there!?

Marketing scheme

• Like 1

A dilemma when Axl & Guns decide if Bucketheads contributions should remain on future material. I'm torn (I'm all out faith this is how I feel) do Guns scrub Bucket's immense talent from the next album & let Slash loose with the tracks & maybe add an extra layer...what's the deal?