What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

More,

- Chinese is really not as progressive/complicated/misunderstood as people claim. 

- Contraband is crap and the worst album Slash has been involved with.

- CD sounds like 20 albums weaved together into one. But not in the good way.

- Contraband is solid, but you have to have a certain taste for the mid-2000s heavy bassy production. Much better than Snakepit/solo stuff.

"Fall to Pieces" is better than any song on Chinese Democracy and, if it was a GNR song, it would be one of their 10 best. "Don't Cry" is a good comparison for it, and "Fall to Pieces" is the better song of the two.

Axl sounded AWFUL on "Slither." This probably isn't an unpopular opinion.

I'd take Scott Weiland's voice from the mid-2000's over Axl's voice right now.

I understand that they "have" to play Sweet Child at shows, but from a quality perspective, they shouldn't. Axl can't sing it properly.

Same for "Paradise City."

I have no real desire to see them live ever again unless they release new music. Even then, I'm not sure it's worth it in 2019.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tadsy said:

1. Izzy’s god like reputation on Mygnrforum is over-stated! 

How dare you insult my religion??!!

Spoiler

Kuvahaun tulos haulle just kidding meme gif

Seriously speaking... IMO nobody here has a god-like status /reputation.. whether someone is overrated/underrated or not rated at all... that probably happens all the time here and the answer varies depending who you are talking to. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

From the start. GNR was more than music, they were an - I do what I want, don t give a fuck, I am who I am, take it or leave it - atitude. They lived that atitude and I found amusing that you can find fans that would expect them to act in line with what the public expects them to act. I don t think they own us anything :P, new music, explanations or anything like this. especially GNR. But it is nice when willingly they just do it. An artistic mind is a fragile one, some of the tragedies from the artistic world originates from unreasonable expectations from the public.

I genuinely think that Chinese Democracy is a great album, far more better than Duff or Slash solo material.

I think Slash is lazy, he works more on an instant inspiration than really trying to make the best he can. But he is a natural gifted guitarist so that laziness isn t that obvious. I think it is a miracle that Slash survived 90 and I was amazed that he would be able to remember from these days enough to write a memoir. That is the reason that I dont believe him 100%  but I enjoied his book a lot and I am grateful that he wrote it.

Axl is insanely and clinically perfectionist, that is half good and half bad.

I think that Duff is a very interesting and great person but a very different one from 1990, only a shadow of his 80 punk persona.  

I think that Since I don t have you is more romantic song  than November Rain. 

Estranged is a brilliant song. The best of GNR in my opinion

Izzy is annoyingly overrated. He had charisma, some good songs but he didn t have the Axl s vision, Slash enduring passion for music or Duff commitment for the band.

Izzy had a more erratic behavior than Axl but not being so fucked up mentally, his antics were just ignored. I liked Gilby, I thought he was perfect in GNR. I also think that West Arkeen  as a song writer was more important for GNR than Izzy.

Steven  would have been more proper in a Motley Crue kind of band, he was just too shallow, didn t have that dangerous creativity inside him, he was there for chicks and live a rock and roll hedonistic lifestyle. I thought that even before reading his memoirs. I found hilarious that his mother wrote a book and blamed his bandmates for his dismiss from the band. After all, she kicked him out the house when he was 10 and  that was just crazy.

I like Melissa, Beta and Fortus. I think people are empowering Team Brrasil with too much power, I basicly think they are close as a family to him and they do exactly what Axl asks them to do. They would just care more about his well-being than the former managers, bandmates or most of the fans.

I like the way Axl looks now. The only reason the people would slam him, it is because he looked insanely gorgeous when he was young. So the expectation are just unreasonable. I dont think he is fat, losing  just a few more pounds would be great but not very different, he should do sport only to feel better and raise his endurance level. I also think he would look better if he would wear his hair tied in a tail, like he had it in  Yesterday video.

:P

In the future, I hope for a new GNR album but I would be more excited reading Axl and Izzy autobiographies.;);)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fourteenbeers said:

How dare you insult my religion??!!

Reveal hidden contents

Kuvahaun tulos haulle just kidding meme gif

Seriously speaking... IMO nobody here has a god-like status /reputation.. whether someone is overrated/underrated or not rated at all... that probably happens all the time here and the answer varies depending who you are talking to. 

:P

If I think for a moment, I don t find Izzy annoying. He just did what he wanted, in his own right. Some GNR nostalgias are annoying, they just dont respect their choices and would always search someone to blame. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soon said:

You are here by ordered to stop this madness!

Coma is fucking dreadful, its the condensing of all the worst aspects of GnR, metal guitar work and Axl going on a fuckin' self pitying rant, that whole tired Comfortably Numb motif, its music to pick your teeth to.  If there's one thing I could change about Guns n Roses its Axl writing long songs, in terms of like, his lyrics, quite frankly they work better when they are short and sharp, he possibly could have developed a talent for that Dylan shit further down the trough but I don't think he treated the process with enough respect, kinda leapt into it with what feels like little to say but a desire to do so...at length.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Coma is fucking dreadful, its the condensing and putting together of all the worst aspects of GnR, metal guitar work and Axl going on a fuckin' self pitying rant, that whole tired Comfortably Numb motif, its music to pick your teeth to.

Im a daily flosser and would be more than happy to pick my teeth to Coma. Because its awesome!! You Brits could do with some more tooth picking, really :P

It pushes the UYI overindulgence and pomp to the extreme with the lengthy power chord breaks, the medical recordings and "sex, sex, sex all the time!" bits. But thats what UYI is all about. So take UYI or leave it on those accounts. I also dont really like those 'jet' style flange sounds on the guitar. But the song is undeniably epic. And the outro is worth the cost of admission alone!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Im a daily flosser and would be more than happy to pick my teeth to Coma. Because its awesome!! You Brits could do with some more tooth picking, really :P

It pushes the UYI overindulgence and pomp to the extreme with the lengthy power chord breaks, the medical recordings and "sex, sex, sex all the time!" bits. But thats what UYI is all about. So take UYI or leave it on those accounts. I also dont really like those 'jet' style flange sounds on the guitar. But the song is undeniably epic. And the outro is worth the cost of admission alone!

Worth the cost of an early exit more like. 

All the best songs on Illusion are the Izzy numbers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soon said:

It takes a rare beast that can write really long lyrics at a young age and be good at it, at any age actually, there are really so few examples of it in popular music that you could could count em on the fingers of one hand.  Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen...I'm struggling already, its been a long day.  Jim Morrison.  Axl is not of that cloth, its not as easy as spilling your guts on paper like a thirteen year old girls hormonal diary entry and making it rhyme.

Edited by Len Cnut

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Worth the cost of an early exit more like. 

All the best songs on Illusion are the Izzy numbers.

I'm a huge Izzy fan. "heart of the soul of the band" but that doesnt mean that other tracks cant be incredible. Id wager thats one of the reasons why we still talk about this band everyday. There was greatness coming from numerous people. Id certainly be fine if I never heard YATF ever again. Coma is gold.

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It takes a rare beast that can write really long lyrics at a young age and be good at it, at any age actually, there are really so few examples of it in popular music that you could could count em on the fingers of one hand.  Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen...I'm struggling already, its been a long day.  Jim Morrison. 

I love me some long form Axl!! Id say he's often at his best that way. But I guess a Beatles fan might prefer concise, octopus-themed lyrics. To each there own :) 

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

its not as easy as spilling your guts on paper like a thirteen year old girls hormonal diary entry and making it rhyme.

Okay. Hold on. This statement means that you dont like Guns N Roses :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why can't Izzy, Slash, Duff & Axl write new songs together? I mean they are all part of system that involves passing million dollar royalties between each other every year, it seems without the money behind these guys they had a better relationship than they had before they had comfortable million dollar bank accounts & expensive houses. 

58 minutes ago, soon said:

I'm a huge Izzy fan. "heart of the soul of the band" but that doesnt mean that other tracks cant be incredible. Id wager thats one of the reasons why we still talk about this band everyday. There was greatness coming from numerous people. Id certainly be fine if I never heard YATF ever again. Coma is gold.

I love me some long form Axl!! Id say he's often at his best that way. But I guess a Beatles fan might prefer concise, octopus-themed lyrics. To each there own :) 

Okay. Hold on. This statement means that you dont like Guns N Roses :lol:

Iggy Pop said his songwriting was heavily influenced by the American TV childrens show presenter Soupy Sales who at the end of every show would say ‘send in your letters kids but make em 25 words or less’, thats the way to do it, short, sharp, direct, punchy, the less you say the less chance of it being shit.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Iggy Pop said his songwriting was heavily influenced by the American TV childrens show presenter Soupy Sales who at the end of every show would say ‘send in your letters kids but make em 25 words or less’, thats the way to do it, short, sharp, direct, punchy, the less you say the less chance of it being shit.

Theres a lot to be said for "3 chords and the truth" or the early Elvis formula of no song longer than 2:30. For Iggy its the perfect lane. And I love Iggy. But I think you highlight something that is also true about it - kids letters to a celebrity will be shit and therefor are requested to be short. And as you say 'less chance of being shit' if its short. That could potentially just be a safety blanket that kills art. You mentioned Pink Floyd earlier and I love their songs that take up entire album sides, Like Echoes and Dogs. I listen to Cohen and The Dead (covering Dylan) pretty much daily. I think Axl would not be wise to always push the length and word count, but in the times he has he met the threshold for greatness and often exceeded it imo.

Iggy tapped Duff and Slash for Brick By Brick after the release of Rocket Queen after all.

All this being said, I think Axl was actually pretty grumpy about having to write all the lyrics for Coma. Apparently the outro kinda poured out of him in a recording session after having become frustrated with his lack of progress on writing lyrics for it. A frustration that seems to have stuck with him as today his intention is to have music written around his lyrics.

2 hours ago, soon said:

I am a huge Beatles fan but I still enjoy long Axl lyrics, like Estranged, Coma and Locomotive.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, well, that may have worked for Iggy :lol: