GNRs Slash & Duff On New Ozzy Album

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

no, I don't think he did but maybe I'm wrong. If it's this interview, he didn't say anything remotely close to what Pitman said.

https://guitar.com/features/interviews/namm-2020-slash-gibson-collection-his-new-gibson-collection-new-guns-n-roses-album/

And there’s a handful of people that are like, ’We don’t even know what buying a record is any more!’”

He could have been paraphrasing Pitman.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He could have been paraphrasing Pitman.

umm, again, no but I won't argue with you. This is all he said about this topic in that interview:

Speaking of Guns, have you got anything more you can share about the new album?

“There’s been no definitive answer on anything and I’ll just keep to that. Stuff is happening, but there are no specifics. More than anything, it’s because of the nature of the industry right now. It’s just like, how do you want to do this? I mean there’s material and there’s recording and there’s shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we’re doing with it right now.”

The music industry in 2020 is a lot different to the last time you all made a Guns record.

“Yeah! And there’s a handful people who said, ’Yeah, make a record and go old school’. And there’s a handful of people that are like, ’We don’t even know what buying a record is any more!’”

Edited by Rovim

Just finished the album, save "Take What You Want" which is not an Ozzy song I liked every track! Some questionable moments for sure but every song was enjoyable & our GnR boys being involved makes it all the better! 

Also, I was recently told on Twitter that GnR releasing only 1 album in 25 years is totally fine because "perfection takes time" LOL 

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

different bands, different rules no? can you really compare Tool to Ozzy when it comes to approach for example?  it's not like every band got the same goals/priorities. I'm not trying to defend Axl here. 1 album in 29 years is ridiculous, no matter how you slice it but maybe we can read between the lines and maybe consider Slash probably said it in the context of Gn'R/Axl.

Gn'R fans/Slash fans know perfectly well most musicians including Slash release albums on a regular basis I just think he meant how will Gn'R do it so it is a success. (whatever the definition of success is to Axl)

The album will never be a success if Axl won't release the god damn thing. Sitting on it does not make it more successful in fact it can do the opposite. Look at Chinese Democracy.

1 hour ago, chandler72 said:

Sitting on it does not make it more successful in fact it can do the opposite. Look at Chinese Democracy.

yeah but is that the only thing Axl wanted to accomplish with Chinese? if it was, he could've released it sooner. It's risky to care too much about your music as an artist, to overthink it which is why I gave Tool as an example: even that band is not as bad as Axl when it comes to releasing music but if you want to get it right, it takes more time for some musicians to get there and for some it can be difficult to let go of it.

Ozzy is the complete opposite of that. Ideally he wants to get it done fast and go on tour. My guess is Axl doesn't want to fuck up the Gn'R catalog with a bad release (regardless of your opinion of Chinese) so he'd rather not release anything at all until both the art and the commerce make sense to him.

Edited by Rovim

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah but is that the only thing Axl wanted to accomplish with Chinese? if it was, he could've released it sooner. It's risky to care too much about your music as an artist, to overthink it which is why I gave Tool as an example: even that band is not as bad as Axl when it comes to releasing music but if you want to get it right, it takes more time for some musicians to get there and for some it can be difficult to let go of it.

Ozzy is the complete opposite of that. Ideally he wants to get it done fast and go on tour. My guess is Axl doesn't want to fuck up the Gn'R catalog with a bad release (regardless of your opinion of Chinese) so he'd rather not release anything at all until the art and the commerce make sense to him.

I believe it’s more he’s not going to release something without the proper backing from the label and the agreed upon advance. In 2020 that’s a bit tricky. UMG isn’t going to concede to that contract if the numbers don’t make sense. They’ll keep it in limbo until the artist wants a release and renegotiate 

If you’re GNR, maybe you use the tactic/stance to try and fulfill the deal and be free from UMG. If they want to renegotiate a lower advance, have this be the last album option on the deal. Then they’ll be free to release anything they want through their own or even other deals. They could also set up things such as a live archive under their own umbrella. Gives them more control

Either way lawyers are getting paid 

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

I believe it’s more he’s not going to release something without the proper backing from the label and the agreed upon advance. In 2020 that’s a bit tricky. UMG isn’t going to concede to that contract if the numbers don’t make sense. They’ll keep it in limbo until the artist wants a release and renegotiate 

If you’re GNR, maybe you use the tactic/stance to try and fulfill the deal and be free from UMG. If they want to renegotiate a lower advance, have this be the last album option on the deal. Then they’ll be free to release anything they want through their own or even other deals. They could also set up things such as a live archive under their own umbrella. Gives them more control

Either way lawyers are getting paid 

right, a Gn'R release is somewhat complicated when you factor in all the little tidbits we know about the band/Axl. I think the band and the label must be happy with the approach from a financial standpoint as well and I've touched on that on some of my previous posts. The release of Chinese in 2008 was made possible thanks to a shrewd deal with Best Buy.

I just don't see Axl releasing more music without it having a chance to really succeed and that is on top of completing an album that will be good enough to be a part of the catalog.

I like the album.  Not sure I would call any of the songs great but I also don't think there are any bad songs on there either.  I love Duff's bass on Eat Me and Slash's guitar work on Ordinary man.  I think it is a very symbolic album considering Ozzy's state right now and you can hear the theme of him facing his mortality throughout. I give it a thumbs up. I have listened to it about 5 times through so far. Going to ut it down for a few days and then pick it up again. Sometimes I fid albums really jump out at me when I do that. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 11:01 AM, 2020_Intensions said:

"Take What You Want"

Not sure why it was on this album since it released on Post Malone's last record, but that's as good a tune as any on the new Ozzy record.

Anyway, I am not a huge Ozzy fan am only familiar with his bigger hits. But I liked several songs from the new record. Duff's bass is fire. "Under the Graveyard" has grown on me a lot.

I love how it’s supposed to be a topic about Slash and Duff on the new Ozzy Abum but it’s the same old bitchfest about how GNR don’t have a new album:facepalm:

37 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

The man is 71 years old and he has 21 quality albums (incl. Black Sabbath's genre defining albums) released in his career.

yeah...

Capture.png

Chinese Democracy is better then anything Ozzy has released. Most of Ozzys stuff is great heavy metal but lacks emotion and soul

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Chinese Democracy is better then anything Ozzy has released. Most of Ozzys stuff is great heavy metal but lacks emotion and soul

Diary of a Madman and Blizzard of Oz are classics however, I don't know if I would honestly take much from CD over most of those two albums lol

• Like 4

Just now, WhazUp said:

Diary of a Madman and Blizzard of Oz are classics however, I don't know if I would honestly take much from CD over most of those two albums lol

NO doubt but like I said they don’t have soul or emotion. Straight forward Heaven Metal

TWAT, Better., Madagascar This I Love and  Prostitute  and compare them to those albums

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

NO doubt but like I said they don’t have soul or emotion. Straight forward Heaven Metal

TWAT, Better., Madagascar This I Love and  Prostitute  and compare them to those albums

This is why CD tends to divide people. 

Id be more of the opinion that straight up rock or metal is fantastic. Simplicity is key. Listening to CD is a real buzz kill for me. Too much whinging from Axl about how everyone wronged him.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Don’t agree at all.

First Black Sabbath albums are maybe not technically better but they had a incomparably bigger impact on the Rock/Metal music than any of GNR album

Blizzard of Ozz, Diary Of A Madman, No More Tears are as good or better than Chinese. Lack of emotions and soul? listen to Ozzmosis, you can’t tell me there are no emotions or soul in See you on the other side. Just because he doesn’t sing about how his girl left him, or Iommi fired him doesn’t mean it’s emotionless

Chinese is great but Ozzy stuff is awesome too.

And in hell of a time that 20 years is I’d rather hear 5 albums on Ordinary Man or Scream’s level than just one Chinese Democracy.

Edited by sl4yer
  • Like 4

Can we at least forget about Axl and CD for the sake of this topic?

common people, you are ruining this topic and all other topics with all this Axl/CD blah blah blah bullshit

lets talk about Ozzy/Slash/Duff/Chad/Watt

you like it or not and pros/cons

Edited by dragan1978

32 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

CD is completely emotionless with various members in to record, cut and paste pro tools recording. Theres more emotion in randys playing in mr crowley then all of the songs on CD. Some CD fans amuse me. 

Axls Lyrics are better then anything Ozzy releases I would like to see Ozzy come up with a Prostitute or a This I love

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I still honestly just much much prefer the sound of an organic rock band feeding off each other and creating magic - Ozzy's band back then was something else.  He knew how to pick 'em and you can hear it within the musical interplay that occured.  No copy/pasting on ProTools over 15 years needed for that magic

I hear plenty of soul in Ozzy's material personally, however I suppose "feel" and "soul" are subjective buzzterms overall so it is hard to debate whether something does or doesn't have it lol.  But we all have our preferences, you like CD more and I dig Ozzy's solo stuff more than anything off of CD - which is totally cool, different strokes and all that. 

I do enjoy CD of course, but as a guitar player and performer I can hear the fun and the chemistry of those Ozzy dudes in the studio as they recorded those songs and that really excites me

Edited by WhazUp

11 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I love how it’s supposed to be a topic about Slash and Duff on the new Ozzy Abum but it’s the same old bitchfest about how GNR don’t have a new album:facepalm:

Am I not supposed to talk GNR at a GNR forum in a topic that is posted under MAIN GUNS N ROSES / DISCUSSIONS ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dragan1978 said:

Can we at least forget about Axl and CD for the sake of this topic?

common people, you are ruining this topic and all other topics with all this Axl/CD blah blah blah bullshit

lets talk about Ozzy/Slash/Duff/Chad/Watt

you like it or not and pros/cons

Con - Andrew Watt. I'm sure he is a lovely guy, and i'm sure he has ideas as a producer. As the producer for the Ozzy record I think he failed to get performances out of Ozzy and relied way too much on vocal processing to cover things up. I hate to beat up the guy, and I have been pretty critical. I just can't see a follow up record and this just screams of "let's just do something, it doesn't need to be great", this is going out with a whimper. 

Con - The guitar playing. Both the rhythm and solos so far on the album are just so blah! Ozzy has always released songs with great guitar. Even when the song was a bit meh, there was still great guitar moments to lift things.  I was never a fan of Andrew when he played with Glenn Hughes, thought his soloing and riff ideas were a bit vanilla... never could understand the attraction, and that has carried across into this new record. The guitar tones sound like default patches from Garageband. Guitar tone, and performances from everything I've heard so far! which seems to be about 50% of the record are far from what I'd consider great. The Slash solo is included in that, I don't think what he did was close to his best work.

Con - No Zakk Wylde. Why wasn't he used in some way or another? Why get all these guest guitar players and NOT at least have Zakk appear on one bit of the music? astonishing! Send him a file, have him record something and send it back! Even if someone is on tour it is so incredibly easy to record these days. i think the answer to why, is that the Osbournes did not want Zakk on the record. The next question is why fire Gus G, rehire Zakk and then say "Zakks fine for the road, but not for my album". Get a producer get them to sit with Zakk and have him to play what you want from him. If you leave Zakk to own devices it's going to sound like BLS, but a proper producer can navigate that. 

Pro - Ozzy made a new record and he seems to like it, and I'm sure some of his fanbase are enjoying it too! I think that outweighs the negatives... even if there's not half a much to say about it. On the balance, welfare of the artists you like is important too, kinda like St anger for Metallica, not a great record! but essential for that time. Ozzy seems genuinely pleased with the record, even if we have seen him do remarkable u-turns on what he likes and dislikes before :D 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Con - Andrew Watt. I'm sure he is a lovely guy, and i'm sure he has ideas as a producer. As the producer for the Ozzy record I think he failed to get performances out of Ozzy and relied way too much on vocal processing to cover things up. I hate to beat up the guy, and I have been pretty critical. I just can't see a follow up record and this just screams of "let's just do something, it doesn't need to be great", this is going out with a whimper. 

Con - The guitar playing. Both the rhythm and solos so far on the album are just so blah! Ozzy has always released songs with great guitar. Even when the song was a bit meh, there was still great guitar moments to lift things.  I was never a fan of Andrew when he played with Glenn Hughes, thought his soloing and riff ideas were a bit vanilla... never could understand the attraction, and that has carried across into this new record. The guitar tones sound like default patches from Garageband. Guitar tone, and performances from everything I've heard so far! which seems to be about 50% of the record are far from what I'd consider great. The Slash solo is included in that, I don't think what he did was close to his best work.

Con - No Zakk Wylde. Why wasn't he used in some way or another? Why get all these guest guitar players and NOT at least have Zakk appear on one bit of the music? astonishing! Send him a file, have him record something and send it back! Even if someone is on tour it is so incredibly easy to record these days. i think the answer to why, is that the Osbournes did not want Zakk on the record. The next question is why fire Gus G, rehire Zakk and then say "Zakks fine for the road, but not for my album". Get a producer get them to sit with Zakk and have him to play what you want from him. If you leave Zakk to own devices it's going to sound like BLS, but a proper producer can navigate that. 

Pro - Ozzy made a new record and he seems to like it, and I'm sure some of his fanbase are enjoying it too! I think that outweighs the negatives... even if there's not half a much to say about it. On the balance, welfare of the artists you like is important too, kinda like St anger for Metallica, not a great record! but essential for that time. Ozzy seems genuinely pleased with the record, even if we have seen him do remarkable u-turns on what he likes and dislikes before :D 

Zakk needs to stop doing the pinch harmonics after EVERY note. He just sounds like a one trick pony nowdays. 

• Like 1