Endless Touring

YOUCOULDBEMINE.

Them touring is better than what we had for so many years.......... SILENCE !!!!

Doesn't make it any less boring though...

:sleeper:

Talk on your behalf dude, not all of us are lucky enough to attend the shows. And I agree that I prefer the band touring than the endless silence we had for years.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is if they start to play even more new songs, that means the have to leave out the old classics, which is fine by me, but the majority want to hear the classics, just look at the crowd when the chindem songs come on, not nearly as ecstatic. The setlist lists don't bother me.

A new album will come eventually but I don't feel like it's over due or anything like I did with Chinese as songs started to leak from it.

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually played different songs on each tour. Change the setlist from tour-to-tour at least.

I don't really see what the problem is with keeping a similar setlist as the tour moves across the world. These complaints seem to often come from people that don't actually go to the shows and just want something new to watch on youtube.

But I do think with GNR now returning in 2012 to some of the same bulidings they played in 2010 that the shows shouldn't be the same as they were before. But that's different than playing the same show in North America in 2011 that you played in Australia earlier in the tour or whatever the case may be. If an area hasn't had a chance to see the tour yet, I don't see why the setlist needs to change.

Now with that said, the current setlist is a bit different from what it was in 2010, but I do hope a few more changes are made. Since the last tour of Europe, the band has brought back two songs from Illusions, two songs from Lies, DJ has a new solo and Tommy is now playing one of his solo songs. But I do hope Bumble & Fortus come up with new solos and maybe a couple more songs are brought back. I'd imagine the fans in Europe who went to the 2010 tour and plan on going again in 2012 would like to see things switched up a bit.

But I don't see a reason for things to be switched up much from leg to leg. If you're playing a new market that hasn't seen the tour yet, they should have a chance to get to see it before things change too much. I'm sure there are plenty of people going to the upcoming tour that will be upset if Estranged and Civil War are dropped from the set since they weren't being played the last time GNR came to town.

One of the best posts I've read about the set list. You hit the nail right on the head. There is little problem with keeping the same set list from continent to continent or even city to city. It gives people all over a chance to see the show. The main problem is that it becomes stale for those who see multiple shows, but then again, it is that particular person's choice to see more than one show. I think they should keep a general set list but have a spot or two in the set each night where they can rotate songs to keep the hardcore fans who are seeing multiple shows happy as well as people who follow the set lists.

Another problem, like you mentioned, is if they tour the States again later this year and still play the same set list. Then it's a problem because people have already seen that show. Again, having a spot to rotate some songs would be nice. Say Axl doesn't want to sing certain songs every single night, then there could be spots in the set list labelled:

Rotation 1: IRS, Scraped, Riad

Rotation 2: There Was A Time, Oh My God, Prostitute

Rotation 3: Yesterdays, Perfect Crime

Maybe not those songs in particular, but that kind of idea. Pick and choose a different one each night or at least regularly enough. Van Halen is kind of doing that right now. The general tour set list is the same but there's a couple songs they've been swapping with others. Granted, they aren't doing three hour shows like Guns, but the idea is still there.

There's no money in recording new music, and the reality is GNR are without a label, I doubt he wants to work with Geffen/Universal, but doesn't seem like he'd want to pay out of pocket for the next album. I think if they go with a smaller label like Anti and cover the cost of the sessions, and get more in royalties, sell by the song, they'll make money that way, but very very few full length albums sell.

GNR are at their best live, but I do hope the future of GNR will be putting songs out as they go, instead of trying to put together a new album. That's the only way to me someone who's a perfectionist will be able to put something new out and not take years.

I do think 7 songs off of Chinese Democracy shows how much faith he has in that material. Interesting admission by DJ saying TIL was his least favorite song to play, but nothing came up about working on new music, and brought up Neil Diamond (he should get Neil to do a GNR song...even if it's off of CD).

GNR are at their best live, but I do hope the future of GNR will be putting songs out as they go, instead of trying to put together a new album. That's the only way to me someone who's a perfectionist will be able to put something new out and not take years.

That's a very plausible option. GnR should really consider this. Singles.

Does anybody know where the Real McCoy lives? Someone may want to alert his local police that he's apparently being held at gunpoint and forced to read this thread.

hahahaa. :rofl-lol:

So if they tour this year, who knows maybe in late 2013 there might be some new music

I saw them twice in 2010.. one time was a piss poor performance with no emotion to it. The other was the best show I have been to.

Simple fact is though, I am not going to spend £100+ to go see GNR play the same songs I saw them play 2 years ago, and first heard 4-20 years back.

It isn't worth the money when there is nothing I haven't seen before and I might get another Dublin o2. Money is better spent seeing a band I haven't watched before.

Them touring is better than what we had for so many years.......... SILENCE !!!!

I hope they come to Australia again during 2012

I am hoping they just don't tour brazil, usa... etc again and again.. what about Finland, Japan, New Zealand, and Australia again?... there are more places than the same old... that is the only thing that bothers me... how some country's get them more than others...

Releasing an album that could easily have been released around 2000-2002.

No offense because I like most of CD, but if they released it around 2001 without adding 10 other musicians it would've been twice the album that it is now.

It would've easily sold twice as much as well.

Back then the world needed CD, in 2008 it was a joke to many people.

So it's time for something new.

It would have sold twice as well only because internet piracy wasn't such a hot issue in 2001 as it is nowadays.

Talk on your behalf dude, not all of us are lucky enough to attend the shows. And I agree that I prefer the band touring than the endless silence we had for years.

I know but what I mean is : once you've seen the show, how many times do you think you could go see it again before it gets lame ?

I'm glad for all the people who are content with just seeing Axl, but, honestly, I've seen him in 2010, it was awesome, but why see him again, and again, and again when it's almost the same show ?

Besides, I don't want to spoil my memories with a lesser performance by Axl... :shrugs:

So DJ has been talking about a South America tour. And apparently there's gonna be another US tour.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's just too much?

As long as they don't release something new there will be fewer people at each tour.

Of course it's cool to see them again this summer but if you want people to see you as a real and functioning band you should be releasing singles and albums every once in a while.

I say it's time for leaks!

i have been saying this for a while now i totally agree, this same 11 year tour stuff has got to stop.

Who would have thought that you'd hear GN'R fans complain about the band touring too much :D. We've come a long way from the dark ages.

EDIT: And they did release a record only 3,5 years ago ;). They ARE a functioning band, more so than in a long time...

there was a time when this would have been fine but that ship has longed sailed its course, this touring stuff is not really ultimately helping NuGNR push forward as a legit band in the worlds eyes especially the USA, they also have not really totally fixed that whole CD release thing and how much they totally failed its launch and follow through execution, which just blows me away, its like they have been ignoring the big elephant in the room. They just keep touring like there is nothing else in the world that maters for them as a band, there is no hype, no majesty to this post CD release GNR, the GNRs of the past had majesty/mysteriousness like say the 2001-2002 GNR. Its odd its like they are touring yeah, but its like the most silent GNR tour ever if that makes any sense.

better than endless silence.

but we really need another record or some singles /leaks, something...

yea like i said there was a time when i would have said some activity is better than none, but i cant believe im saying that this is not the case anymore. GNR is loosing it's mysterious/cool factor that this NuGNR had for so long, it's now like a retirement band in a way, like there is no other purpose other than touring and making some money. They have done a lot of shows over these last couple years but i feel like they havent progressed, they are in peoples faces a lot but not really if that makes any sense. There is a unfinished legacy for NuGNR in my opinion and this tour is not helping them fulfill it actually i think they are worst off now.

btw yes GNR needs Buckethead and Brain back

Edited by amacfantasy

I know but what I mean is : once you've seen the show, how many times do you think you could go see it again before it gets lame ?

To me, 3 times. I've seen them 3 times in the past 10 years (2002,2006,2010) and i'm not gonna visit any show again altough they do 3 shows near where i live this summer. I'm tired to see and hear the same songs over and over again.

They've been touring that album since 2001. That's a little bit longer than 2 years.

While I know that is a common sentiment amongst bitter internet users, it's not really accurate.

There were two shows played at the beginning of 2001 and two shows played at the end of 2001. No need to even get into what they were touring for at the time because they weren't touring at all.

At that time we all knew what the name was for the forthcoming album.

20010101tshirt-1.jpg

It makes no sense to embark on a 3rd leg around S. America and N. America without new music. To me, this suggests if the plan is to continue touring then new music will be on the horizon soon. There's plenty of material that is leftover from the CD sessions that can be mixed,mastered and tweaked in the next 2 months before the European tour so an album can be geared up for a late summer/fall release before any more touring is done.

It wouldnt surprise me if this is the plan. As to why we've heard nothing about it? Well, we never really got much news on CD either and I think axl might be a little wary of announcing too much before its really necessary to avoid criticism if the album didn't drop when intended to.

It makes no sense to embark on a 3rd leg around S. America and N. America without new music. To me, this suggests if the plan is to continue touring then new music will be on the horizon soon. There's plenty of material that is leftover from the CD sessions that can be mixed,mastered and tweaked in the next 2 months before the European tour so an album can be geared up for a late summer/fall release before any more touring is done.

It wouldnt surprise me if this is the plan. As to why we've heard nothing about it? Well, we never really got much news on CD either and I think axl might be a little wary of announcing too much before its really necessary to avoid criticism if the album didn't drop when intended to.

This is exactly what I've been hoping for. All DJ would need is a week or two of studio time, like what Bumble did for Chinese, to make his additions. This could easily be done before Europe for a summer or fall release....If Axl wishes it. But DJ's recent comments elude that no studio time is currently planned, whether to tweak the unreleased tracks or otherwise. There's a chance he's being intentionally coy, but I have a feeling that if DJ was going to be in the studio for Guns, he's the kind of self-promoter would let some media outlet know pretty much right away. Hope I'm wrong. :shrugs:

Edited by sofine11

Im gana through something out there i have been wondering about for a while, Has Axl become the LeBron James of music? In regard to him not being able to handle pressure. Like we have known about all this other material and DJ talks non stop about how great Axl's stuff is and about how much he wants to release and write more music but that he cant really do it while tours going on, but they magically keep extending a tour that we have seen since 2001. Im wondering if this continues tour is the scapegoat for Axl to prologue releasing CD II or any new material/ big things in general, can he not handle the pressure of releasing new material and what comes with it? Has the release of CD I scared him, in regards of doing that whole thing again? Idk for sure but im more beggining to think so