The T.V. Show Thread

Georgy Zhukov

One of my favorite scenes is "This never happened" Just watched it on youtube, got goose bumps.It's from season 2 I think?

The flashback? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's season 2.

I'd rank the seasons like this:

3-5 is when the show was clicking on all cylinders.

Watching The Wire and loving it. I don't know why the hell I didn't watch it 'til now.

There was a thread here not long ago comparing TV with movies, and somebody made a post listing some classic films and said something like 'has TV ever produced anything like these?'. I would without a shadow of a doubt put The Wire against any film ever made. I would say it's easily up there with the likes of Godfather or Casablanca or Schindler's List or whatever.

• Like 2

Found the post:

Just look at the masterpieces. Name a television series that even comes close to Hitchcock's Notorious, Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, Scorsese's TaxiDriver, Kubrick’s 2001, Fellini's I Vitelloni, De Sica's Bicycle Thieves., Mizoguchi’s Ugetsu, Bergman's Wild Strawberries. These are, artworks. In contrast, television just looks cheap.

The Wire. It's as good as any movie ever made.

• Like 2

Watching The Wire and loving it. I don't know why the hell I didn't watch it 'til now.

There was a thread here not long ago comparing TV with movies, and somebody made a post listing some classic films and said something like 'has TV ever produced anything like these?'. I would without a shadow of a doubt put The Wire against any film ever made. I would say it's easily up there with the likes of Godfather or Casablanca or Schindler's List or whatever.

I am just in Season 1, episode 8 but I can see why people always talked so well about it.

I remember that thread and I agree with you. There is no reason why a TV series can't be as good as a film or even better...and The Wire is one of them. Anyway, I've noticed that plenty of the people who say that haven't really seen any of the good shows, so, it's like if I say Ironman 2 is better than The Godfather without having seen The Godfather.

I am just in Season 1, episode 8 but I can see why people always talked so well about it.

I remember that thread and I agree with you. There is no reason why a TV series can't be as good as a film or even better...and The Wire is one of them. Anyway, I've noticed that plenty of the people who say that haven't really seen any of the good shows, so, it's like if I say Ironman 2 is better than The Godfather without having seen The Godfather.

It's not just that they haven't seen anything good but they come with prejudices based on outdated stereotypes of what television is and won't even give anything new a chance regardless of much praise it gets.

Rewatching Ashes to Ashes - got the boxset cheap. It is not a patch on Life on Mars. The directing and everything on the first show looks much better and I do not like the 1980s as much as the '70s. Some of the screenplays are ropey also. It just does not have that same degree of class that Mars had. It is more, played for laughs, I find.

Anyone else as pissed as me about NBC canceling Community?

Very sad. Stupid fucking sitcoms get to stay on, and they'll sign some other 2 or 3 stupid fucking shows that will get canceled after one season, but they'll cancel one that is actually worth keeping.

Hopefully another network or even Netflix takes it in.

Anyone else as pissed as me about NBC canceling Community?

Very sad. Stupid fucking sitcoms get to stay on, and they'll sign some other 2 or 3 stupid fucking shows that will get canceled after one season, but they'll cancel one that is actually worth keeping.

Hopefully another network or even Netflix takes it in.

I definitely prefer an online service like Netflix or Hulu picking it up, because I can only imagine what Dan Harmon could do with the show outside the confines of a network.