The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

Feel really really really REALLY rotten this morning and i don't know why.  Had a spliff, 8 bottles of Newcastle Brown and a pizza last night and like, been a week or so since i've had a drink and like, thats not really a lot by my standards but i feel absolutely arseholed today.  Dunno whats wrong with me.  Feels like the nastiest hangover imagineable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26 February 2016 at 11:37 AM, Len B'stard said:

I'm the fuckin' Newcastle Brown heavyweight champion man, just fuckin' had a funny turn on it this time.  Southern fairies :lol:

My last Newky Broon sesh was the night Michael Owen scored that screamer against the Argies at France 98. Woke up in my Granny's front garden being kicked by a chinaman. ?

• Like 1

Holy crap... The Whisky Festival Noord Nederland was this weekend in my hometown. It's the second largest in the country and easily the best. It was my 8th year going and my 4th as a volunteer. 

On day 1 I was on coat-check for 10 minutes and then had the entire session to myself. Tasted SO many great whiskies! Afterwards I put my volunteer-shirt back on and helped at the check-out. Then we had too many beers with the volunteers, standholders and speakers (some international writers and Scottish whisky teachers). That was a day of working there from 2:30 PM until 11PM and then drinking until 1AM. 

On day 2 I was working at our whisky knowledge centre the whole afternoon explaining to people who whisky is made and why things taste the way they do. Then I helped with 3 tastings in the evening (and got to drink all 6 whiskies in all 3 of them) and drank a few in between on the festival floor. Again, beer with other volunteers etc afterwards. Which was a workday from 10AM until 11PM and drinks until 2:30AM.

And then there was day 3 with 2 more tastings in the afternoon. After the session we had to break it all down again, which ended up being a workday from 10AM until 7PM. Then we had a leftover-tasting with all the whisky the standholders left for is and after that we went to the hotel for a great dinner with (again) a lot of beer. Was home around midnight. 

That made an average of about 15 to 20 whisky a day plus beer after the festival every time. 

I'm still extremely tired and I've been hungover for 3 days in a row, but honestly this is one of the greatest weekends of the year! ^_^ 
The festival is run entirely by volunteers and they're all people genuinely passionate about whisky instead of looking for any kind of profit. Makes for a great atmosphere and everybody (including guests, speakers and standholders) notice that. Which is very rare in Europe for a festival this size. Love it! 

Edited by username

Not usually a big drinker, but this Canadian whiskey is so good, it's borderline ruined my life, it's so fucking good;

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is the 2016 World Whiskey of the Year

Renowned whisky writer Jim Murray today announced Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye as the 2016 World Whisky of the Year, marking the first time a Canadian Whisky has received the honor. The recognition comes at a time when both the Canadian and Rye whisky categories continue to gain popularity amongst whisky aficionados and consumers alike.

“Crown Royal Northern Harvest pops up out of nowhere and changes the game,” said Murray of the whisky, which he awarded a record-tying 97.5 out of 100 points. “It certainly puts the rye into Canadian Rye. To say this is a masterpiece is barely doing it justice.”

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye was first released in the U.S. in early 2015. The variant showcases the distinctly Canadian rye whiskey featured in the traditional Crown Royal Deluxe Blend that consumers have grown to love throughout the last 75-plus years. The latest variant to be introduced by Crown Royal, Northern Harvest Rye (90 proof, 45% ABV) is the brand’s first ever blended, 90% rye whisky and embodies a smooth and spicy flavor profile that can be mixed into traditional rye cocktails or enjoyed neat or on the rocks.

“Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye showcases the rye whisky that has been such an integral component of the Crown Royal Deluxe blend since 1939. This is a testament to the unbelievable blending and distilling that’s been taking place in Gimli for over 75 years,” said Yvonne Briese, Vice President of Crown Royal. “We are thrilled that Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye has been named World Whisky of the Year!”

The recognition comes on the heels of the launch of Crown Royal’s new campaign titled “The One Made for a King.” The creative, which will run across TV, print, out of home, digital and social, was developed to share the 75-year-old brand’s royal origin story and liquid credentials with consumers. To view the TV spots, please visit the Crown Royal YouTube channel.

In addition to being named 2016 World Whisky of the Year, Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye received a double gold medal at this year’s San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is part of Crown Royal’s vast portfolio of variants for whisky lovers to enjoy, including Crown Royal Regal Apple, the #1 innovation launch across U.S. Spirits over the past 12 month period, according to Nielsen and NABCA (Source: Nielsen xAOC 52 weeks through 10/10/15, NABCA 52wk ending 9/30/15), and Crown Royal Hand Selected Barrel, a double gold recipient and winner of “Best Canadian Whisky” in the 2015 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.

Diageo is proud to add this incredible honor to its Hall of Fame of award-winning whiskeys globally. This year alone, Diageo has earned more than 300 awards across the World’s Best ranks for its Canadian, Scotch and American whiskeys. Today at Diageo we are celebrating!

While raising a glass of Northern Harvest Rye in honor of this award, Crown Royal reminds consumers and whisky aficionados to please drink responsibly.

About Crown Royal

Crown Royal Canadian whisky is the number one selling Canadian whisky brand in the US by value and has a tradition as long and distinctive as its taste. Specially blended to commemorate a grand tour of Canada made by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain in 1939, Crown Royal Canadian whisky’s smooth, elegant style reflects its aristocratic origins and is considered the epitome of Canadian whisky. For more information visit www.crownroyal.com. Crown Royal encourages all consumers to please enjoy responsibly.

Harpoon had some good shit on their single batch brews when I was there this weekend. They had a chocolate peppermint UFO (unfiltered beer if you're not familiar with Harpoon), and a Bacon Truck Ale, actually brewed with bacon. I brought home a growler of each. 

12 hours ago, Jackie Moon said:

Not usually a big drinker, but this Canadian whiskey is so good, it's borderline ruined my life, it's so fucking good;

"Jim Murray"

Horrible little arrogant man who's opinions are often so ridiculous they can only be bought. I have no opinion on the Crown Rye, but I wouldn't even wipe my ass with Murray's books. 

13 hours ago, username said:

Horrible little arrogant man who's opinions are often so ridiculous they can only be bought. I have no opinion on the Crown Rye, but I wouldn't even wipe my ass with Murray's books. 

I don't know who that guy is. I just took that from the crown royal website.

If you're actually interested, maybe google Crown Royal Northern Harvest and click the second link.

Or just come over for a drink! And a complimentary rape kit.

• Like 1

El Jimador tequila tonight. I brought one of my coworkers back a bottle from Mexico as she really wanted some fresh tequila, and then insisted I take a flash home to give it a try. Tequila does bad things to me, but how can I refuse free booze? :mellow:

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

El Jimador tequila tonight. I brought one of my coworkers back a bottle from Mexico as she really wanted some fresh tequila, and then insisted I take a flash home to give it a try. Tequila does bad things to me, but how can I refuse free booze? :mellow:

How is it free if you bought it?

7 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

TEQUILA!!! I once stopped drinking hard liquor for a whole year after puking blood the day after a tequila severe binge. It's my go-to spirit when I want to be silly drunk and blackout. I rarely drink it these days. I typically have to be quite drunk to even start drinking it, and then it doesn't really get better.