The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

19 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Have any of you drank absinthe and if so, would you recommend it?

New Years Eve 1999. Absinthe and a bong. Last thing I remember was being consoled by my friends mum because i thought a vein was coming out of my neck before waking up at 5 am next to the washing machine.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I've drank it a few times, wouldn't recommend it. I went through a phase where me and an old co worker would do shots and wander around the neighborhood, but the sickest I've ever been from booze is by far from absinthe. Also, it tastes like black licorice.

If you do drink it though, light it on fire first.

I'm drinking this fucking swill Carib Sorrel Shandy from Trinidad & Tobago. It's absolutely sickeningly sweet, and it's fucking 1.2% :lol: Only gave it a shot because it was on sale for 46 cents at the beer store, and I've never had anything from Trinidad & Tobago. 1/10, wouldn't recommend under any circumstances.

42 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Do you like anise(black licorice)? That's basically what it tastes like.

Its a strong spirit, kinda exotic and cool to drink once or twice, but ultimately not worth the steep price tag(the imports are 60-100$ in the US).

Complete myth about hallucinations or wormwood poisoning. You couldn't physically put enough wormwood into a liquid to induce hallucinations, but otherwise its a pretty interesting drink.

Get the proper spoon and some sugar cubes, the process of pouring the spirit and lighting the cube is part of the fun! (be careful with the fire, I've broken a few glasses that way)

• Like 1

Went down to the station tonite and snagged a 40 of OE because I'm a shit person.

Gonna get this buzz on and watch Luke Cage on Netflix.

Hey, any recommendations on a good pumpkin beer for the fall? Its gotta be very very subtle on the pumpkin, not a big fan of getting slapped in the face with that flavor.

Last year the local microbrewery made an Imperial pumpkin stout, something like 10%abv. It was brilliant, the pumpkin spice really only shined through on the finish

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Is alright man, get some, goes down like water, green-ish sort of liquid, i remember, for some odd reason, being bored in my more drink orientated days and polishing off a bottle of it while just pottering about the house on a sunday.  I'm curled up in my comfy chair reading a book, knocking it back, feeling good, everything was fine really....and then i tried to stand up :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2016 at 8:50 PM, spunko12345 said:

New Years Eve 1999. Absinthe and a bong. Last thing I remember was being consoled by my friends mum because i thought a vein was coming out of my neck before waking up at 5 am next to the washing machine.

yikes! that does not sound like a good time :nervous:

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I once had a 10% beer and suddenly realised why they cap the percentage for beer at around 4-5%, i.e. that it renders the ale completely undrinkable.

It does if the ale in question is Special Brew but if you get a decent one it can be really nice. Something like Duvel is about 9%/10% and that's lovely.

I once went on a corporate tour of the Duvel brewery. I was taught how to pair beer with cheese. We all got drunk on strong beer then had to sit in a dark warm room and listen to a presentation on cycling helmets. Was great fun.

Last night I drank 3/4 of a bottle of mulled wine. I probably bleed Christmas now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

There better be fuckin' 12 gallons of it for 550.

Nope, it was a 750 ml I think, MAYBE 1 liter.

54 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I once had a 10% beer and suddenly realised why they cap the percentage for beer at around 4-5%, i.e. that it renders the ale completely undrinkable.

I'm fine with a high ABV on darker beers like stouts and porters. But on lighter beers they're usually shit - I had a 15% Imperial Pilsner this week and it was fucking awful. 

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nah, imo it depends what you're drinking. I love IPA's and I had a lovely double IPA called Resin last weekend that was around 9% ABV and it was fine.

I'm actually trying to detox from booze for a bit, usually around the holidays I drink way too much and combined with all the food gain weight and this year I'm trying to circumvent that by cleaning up a bit now and staying on top of my health.

• Like 1

i'm not much of a dark beer fan but one Christmas i had Guiness in a beer yard glass ( we called it a beer bong :P ) and it got me very buzzed.

then there was one i had from a local brewery; it was called something like Dark Christmas Ale, not a very creative name i guess, but it was delicious! unfortunately the brewery no longer makes it...ownership changed hands and i guess the original owner kept their recipes because a lot of the beers they used to have they no longer do.

i found this online and i want to try it this Christmas season:

MAD ELF – TROEGS (11%)

A personal favorite that has turned into a family tradition. Mad Elf pours a deep ruby and has a strong cherry taste with toasted caramel and spice at the end.

probably doesn't sound very good to most but i love cherry anything and 11%...well i gotta try that! :lol:

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It was surprisingly good, it's dark without being bitter and it's smooth. Kinda depends what you're drinking though. That particular brewery makes some good stronger beers (6.5% 'west coast ale', 8.5% double IPA).