The love/sex/relationship thread

Lithium

@Len Cnut Many people don't just decide one day to get married, but enter the relationship from the start with that intention. 

And call me old fashioned (I know I am!) but when a couple has children, they need to know that their parents are committed to that family for life. For that feeling of security. Kids understand marriage pretty early on, and would probably wonder what was going on if mummy and daddy say they love each other but haven't made that commitment. 

13 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

@Len Cnut Many people don't just decide one day to get married, but enter the relationship from the start with that intention. 

And call me old fashioned (I know I am!) but when a couple has children, they need to know that their parents are committed to that family for life. For that feeling of security. Kids understand marriage pretty early on, and would probably wonder what was going on if mummy and daddy say they love each other but haven't made that commitment. 

I think the only time my kids asked about our lack of marriage was when we went to a wedding and they casually asked what our wedding was like. I said we never had one and you don't have to if you don't want to but it's up to you. They said they wanted to get married because you got presents and cake. Out of 6 kids only 1 has married so far.

• Like 1

Ive known people to marry so that if one goes to jail there are certain rights for visiting and contact.  And as a person with health problems, Id marry because spouses are allowed access in emergencies - they can be in ICU and stuff.  

19 minutes ago, soon said:

Ive known people to marry so that if one goes to jail there are certain rights for visiting and contact.  And as a person with health problems, Id marry because spouses are allowed access in emergencies - they can be in ICU and stuff.  

I have not come across anything that i can't do because of not being married, not yet anyway.

On 8/12/2017 at 11:05 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

I can understand people wanting to get married, but I hate weddings. No one cares except your immediate family, I find it's just an excuse to get money and gifts; I find it kind of rude actually. lol.  Although I do think maybe I'm in the minority here. :lol: I've never married, but if I did, I would not subject anyone else to the wedding, except perhaps my parents.

Wow, that's fucked up. 

My friends can't wait to see us get married. We've had so many cards and well wishes. Those who haven't seemed happy for us won't be included on the guest list - we've still managed 70 people so far.

On 13.8.2017 at 0:05 AM, Whiskey Rose said:

I can understand people wanting to get married, but I hate weddings. No one cares except your immediate family, I find it's just an excuse to get money and gifts; I find it kind of rude actually. lol.  Although I do think maybe I'm in the minority here. :lol: I've never married, but if I did, I would not subject anyone else to the wedding, except perhaps my parents.

I am not a big fan of the ceremony, either. When we got married we just invited our closest family, it made it more intimate and better. I am sure some more distant family and friends felt snubbed, but fuck it, this was about us not them.

22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not a big fan of the ceremony, either. When we got married we just invited our closest family, it made it more intimate and better. I am sure some more distant family and friends felt snubbed, but fuck it, this was about us not them.

And that's exactly it.

1 hour ago, Chris1989 said:

Wow, that's fucked up. 

My friends can't wait to see us get married. We've had so many cards and well wishes. Those who haven't seemed happy for us won't be included on the guest list - we've still managed 70 people so far.

Obviously you're just about to get married so I won't rain on your parade any more than I already have :lol: I'm sure it will be a lovely ceremony, and enjoy your special day.