Steven Adler Says Guns N’ Roses Reunion Album ‘Would Blow Away Appetite For Destruction’

Jokes aside, IF Axl sounded good, I'd be inclined to agree with Steven. Slash's writing is better than ever, pair him with Izzy for arrangements and I would not surprised if an actual GNR album was as good as Appetite (though I wouldn't expect it either). Let's not forget.... out of all of the post GNR projects, only 1 has actually sounded like GNR: Adler's Appetite. Too bad Adler (band) is a bunch of new rock eyeliner rubbish.

Edited by OmarBradley

Honestly I don't want Steven to be the drummer if they reunite. Just give me Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Brain. Steven is great though, I just don't think he's the best drummer in the world, he's very passionate though so that counts for something.

I love Brain's drumming on CD but he could never play the Appetite songs. Neither could Sorum. The only person who can play them is Adler.

• Like 1

Great to hear from Steven again and I hope he can keep his shit together this time.

If there ever is a reunion, that is the man I want to see on the kit.. It was really cool to see him up there with Slash and Duff at the R&RHOF..

My second choice would actually be Brent Fits from Slash's band.. He seems to have a similar groove and plays the Guns stuff pretty awesome.

• Like 2

I love Steven. You could hand him a cup as a gift and he'd proclaim it to be the best cup in the world.

I wonder what the tracklisting would be for an album based on their life experiences so far

Welcome to the Dry House (Adler)

It's So Cheesy (Axl)

Weightgain (Axl & Slash)

They Got Me (Izzy)

Mr. Coldstone (Axl & Slash)

Exercise City (Duff)

My Del (Axl)

Think About Food (Axl & Slash)

Sweet Pie O' Mine (Axl & Slash)

I'm Crazy (Axl)

Marrying Ho's (Slash)

Cash Machine (Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Adler)

this post was better than Adler's babbling

Steven never sounded clearer than on this interview and I think his words are pretty honest. No need to disregard him as if he was a piece of shit just because he has a problem with drugs.

I'd prefer a reunion album than a reunion tour. An album that includes Steven, Sorum, Gilby and the original ones. That'd be amazing.

However, what about Axl's material, the CD leftovers, the songs in the vault? Would he ditch all that to write with the old line-up?

Seems pretty unreal knowing how lazy Axl is.

• Like 1

I wish the post had been "Mitch Lafon interview with Steven Adler" because he hasn't done an interview in over a year. He also says "it's Axl's call" and "I'd love to do it (be in a room together), even if it was for a day".

Also - "I made a beeline for the bar...and it was a disaster".

Edited by dalsh327

A new album by the reunion lineup would "blow Appetite for Destruction away."

Based on what exactly, Steven?

AFD was made at a certain time when that kind of music was celebrated, encouraged, and drove mainstream culture. It was made by five guys who weren't just hungry figuratively but literally; constantly broke and living off of the charity of others when they weren't making the odd buck here and there. Putting aside the lyrical aspect, the sound and vibe was an extension of their lives; its authenticity with respect to who they were as a group and as individuals greatly contributed to its success. I can't see how any of that could be replicated.

Most great music, in my opinion, is forged from a time and place; a moment. You can't simply stick five talented guys together and force the matter. A reunion would bring 1987 back, no matter how much Steven wills or dreams it.

As much as I would have loved to hear what the classic lineup would have followed the Illusion albums with, I think in some ways the dissolution of the band when it did was the best thing for that band and the people involved. I'm likely in the minority, but the more I look back at that time and what has become of each member from the classic lineup, I'm somewhat glad Axl has spent decades tinkering with a new group than try what Steven thinks is likely or inevitable.

I look at bands like Metallica, which haven't released a decent album since its Black album, and I think that what happened with the old band was the best for everyone involved. At least they're all still alive; who's to say that had they kept going Slash wouldn't have OD'd or Duff wouldn't have drank himself to death. Could either of these individuals escaped their dependencies had they still persevered with Guns? Maybe, maybe not.

Again, say what you want, that it's all a tragedy and a waste of talent, but there's worse things than opportunity squandered. Let's be thankful that the individuals who gave birth to the music we all know and love are still with us.

• Like 3

Steven never sounded clearer than on this interview and I think his words are pretty honest. No need to disregard him as if he was a piece of shit just because he has a problem with drugs.

I'd prefer a reunion album than a reunion tour. An album that includes Steven, Sorum, Gilby and the original ones. That'd be amazing.

However, what about Axl's material, the CD leftovers, the songs in the vault? Would he ditch all that to write with the old line-up?

I agree with you. No offense to anybody, but man, a lot of bitterness in this topic over what aren't really that bad of comments. Stevie sounds pretty happy and wishes the old band would get together for a final run. I imagine everybody I'm the old band would love to so that (except one member).

And of course he hopes the album would be better than the old ones. That's what every band says with a new release. What should his attitude be? I would love to do another album but it will never be as good as what we did 30 years ago.

Lighten up people! This isn't life or death. No need to be so bitter and prickish about a rock band.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Nothing any of them will ever create can't possibly surpass Appetite. They can probably create something great together, but it will be something else, and ultimately, I think trying to top AFD at what it did right is a waste of time.

They're old men now. They can never capture the essence of that record again. Steven is dumb and doesn't understand such things but I accept him.

I agree with you. No offense to anybody, but man, a lot of bitterness in this topic over what aren't really that bad of comments. Stevie sounds pretty happy and wishes the old band would get together for a final run. I imagine everybody I'm the old band would love to so that (except one member).

And of course he hopes the album would be better than the old ones. That's what every band says with a new release. What should his attitude be? I would love to do another album but it will never be as good as what we did 30 years ago.

Lighten up people! This isn't life or death. No need to be so bitter and prickish about a rock band.

Just my opinion.

i don't see any bitter or prick people you are the one who imply this way the things

Adler is an idiot on this interview plain and simple

If a reunion ever happens he will not be a part of it, because he can't really maintain sobriety

He will fall again and again, and again

I love Steven. You could hand him a cup as a gift and he'd proclaim it to be the best cup in the world.

I wonder what the tracklisting would be for an album based on their life experiences so far

Welcome to the Dry House (Adler)

It's So Cheesy (Axl)

Weightgain (Axl & Slash)

They Got Me (Izzy)

Mr. Coldstone (Axl & Slash)

Exercise City (Duff)

My Del (Axl)

Think About Food (Axl & Slash)

Sweet Pie O' Mine (Axl & Slash)

I'm Crazy (Axl)

Marrying Ho's (Slash)

Cash Machine (Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Adler)

superb :D

Ah, Steven. I thought he got this out of his system at the RnRHoF and said he wasn't going to bring up reunions anymore??

If they did do a reunion, and I think we'll see a cold day in Hell first...I honestly think they'd use Matt Sorum anyway, because he's more reliable/likely to be sober. Every single one of them - Duff, Slash, Izzy, Axl - has pointedly avoided asking Steven to join their bands or working with him on more than a tiny guest spot here and there. I think that says something. And of course if that *did* happen it would probably crush Steven irreparably...

I do agree with you that they would use Matt Sorum, Slash and Duff are better friends with Matt than Steven, But well I would not lose hope, Steven, Slash and Duff did one or two shows together with Chester Bennington and it sounded awesome and Slash invited Steven on his first Solo Album rather than Matt, but as you said that Slash does not wants to a full tour or a full album with Steven which is sad, Slash, Duff and Gilby are doing some shows in South America, they could have invited Steven too, but they dint

There is a very fine line between enthusiasm and desperation...

This. And in Steven's case I think it's the latter...he's the one who has been begging and pleading for years for a reunion of some sort, and he's also the one that has had the least musical success. Everyone else has moved on.

A new album by the reunion lineup would "blow Appetite for Destruction away."

Based on what exactly, Steven?

AFD was made at a certain time when that kind of music was celebrated, encouraged, and drove mainstream culture. It was made by five guys who weren't just hungry figuratively but literally; constantly broke and living off of the charity of others when they weren't making the odd buck here and there. Putting aside the lyrical aspect, the sound and vibe was an extension of their lives; its authenticity with respect to who they were as a group and as individuals greatly contributed to its success. I can't see how any of that could be replicated.

Most great music, in my opinion, is forged from a time and place; a moment. You can't simply stick five talented guys together and force the matter. A reunion would bring 1987 back, no matter how much Steven wills or dreams it.

As much as I would have loved to hear what the classic lineup would have followed the Illusion albums with, I think in some ways the dissolution of the band when it did was the best thing for that band and the people involved. I'm likely in the minority, but the more I look back at that time and what has become of each member from the classic lineup, I'm somewhat glad Axl has spent decades tinkering with a new group than try what Steven thinks is likely or inevitable.

I look at bands like Metallica, which haven't released a decent album since its Black album, and I think that what happened with the old band was the best for everyone involved. At least they're all still alive; who's to say that had they kept going Slash wouldn't have OD'd or Duff wouldn't have drank himself to death. Could either of these individuals escaped their dependencies had they still persevered with Guns? Maybe, maybe not.

Again, say what you want, that it's all a tragedy and a waste of talent, but there's worse things than opportunity squandered. Let's be thankful that the individuals who gave birth to the music we all know and love are still with us.

I agree with this. You can't reproduce the past, and the bands that try to stay in a time capsule from the 80s usually end up sounding and looking pretty sad. I also feel that what each of the band members have done is probably better for them than staying together would have been. Even Axl - whatever one wants to say about NuGuns, he's done what he wanted instead of being forced to stay in a situation he doesn't like. You look at a band like Motley Crue where several of the members apparently hate each other, and it seems better than GnR moved on.