If you could choose one song...

to play to someone who had never heard GNR before which song would you choose to capture the essence and very best of Guns N' Roses in order to hook them in?

This is harder than it seems when you start thinking about it, my favourite song is Estranged but I don't think I would choose that as an introduction.

I'm tempted to say Jungle or Nightrain as they are faster paced, true rocker songs but they don't give any indication of the softer, more introspective GNR sound. So on that basis I'm going with Rocket Queen as I think it bridges the gap between the two sides to GNR pretty well.

(I'm sure we've had this discussion come round every year or two but humour me - it's Sunday night and I'm bored) :P

SCOM. That song is Guns N' Roses right there - hard, soft.

Ha ha - I totally forgot about SCOM when I was thinking about it. :facepalm:

I'm going to stick with RQ though!

I love RQ but the thing is I think given how explicit it is, it might be a turn-off to a newb, you know? I mean, it does have the cool segue, but...Hearing the first part alone might make someone think "Oh it's just 80s hair metal"...I chose SCOM because it has the sweetness Axl's lyrics could have (without being overwrought), it has Slash's guitar talent on display (without a 2 minute long solo), it has the whole band jelling, and even now in 2015, it's catchy. But it's got that uncertainty at the end "Where do we go now?" that you don't see in most sweet love songs.

• Like 1

Ha ha - I totally forgot about SCOM when I was thinking about it. :facepalm:

I'm going to stick with RQ though!

I love RQ but the thing is I think given how explicit it is, it might be a turn-off to a newb, you know? I mean, it does have the cool segue, but...Hearing the first part alone might make someone think "Oh it's just 80s hair metal"...I chose SCOM because it has the sweetness Axl's lyrics could have (without being overwrought), it has Slash's guitar talent on display (without a 2 minute long solo), it has the whole band jelling, and even now in 2015, it's catchy. But it's got that uncertainty at the end "Where do we go now?" that you don't see in most sweet love songs.

Good point, I don't think RQ is that explicit though - not by current standards. I can't change my mind now though or I might look like I don't know what I'm talking about. :lol:

You Could Be Mine

That song is 100% Guns N' Roses

Not cheesy dated rock ballad and everythings is right there: Izzy's songwriting, the overall band "feel" and chemistry, great production, Axl's best studio vocals ever.... (and i don't even like that particular Slash solo but still pick this song, because it IS the best GNR song, imho)

Probably this, but anyone who hasn't heard SCOM is living under a rock.

If I was trying to get someone into GNR who had already heard the standards, I'd play them Nightrain or Brownstone.

a deep cut? great idea

I would choose Locomotive or Pretty Tied Up or even 14 Years!

• Like 1

Nightrain!

It captured everything of the band, where they came from, who they were. Axls lower voice, both Izzy's and Slash's guitars and finally the part after the first solo when Axl's singing/screaming and Slash play the fuck out of his guitar. And maybe for most, Steven's cowbell :lol:

You Could Be Mine

That song is 100% Guns N' Roses

Not cheesy dated rock ballad and everythings is right there: Izzy's songwriting, the overall band "feel" and chemistry, great production, Axl's best studio vocals ever.... (and i don't even like that particular Slash solo but still pick this song, because it IS the best GNR song, imho)

Probably this, but anyone who hasn't heard SCOM is living under a rock.

If I was trying to get someone into GNR who had already heard the standards, I'd play them Nightrain or Brownstone.

a deep cut? great idea

I would choose Locomotive or Pretty Tied Up or even 14 Years!

Assuming the person isn't living under a rock, they've already heard SCOM and Jungle countless times. So yes, I'd show them something else.