which songs dose Izzy Stradlin plays lead guitar on Guns N' Roses ablums ?

For sure. It was an extract of Slash interview for "Guitarist Magazine" wich appears on french press into a translation inside "Guitares & Claviers". Slash has made guitar's sound facture of "UYI". Izzy told this fact, when he was listen "UYI" Cd's for the first time : "It sounded like a big Les Paul and a big Marshall ; where's my takes ?".

Edited by okrkda

one of the coolest lead guitar that izzy plays on GNR (and probably the least talked about because it is not a traditional lead playing in the sense that it is very economic) is on the intro to Welcome to the Jungle

While Slash is ripping the monster intro riff, Izzy plays a few notes here and finishes the intro with this terrific crescendo melody

This is something in the song that very few people notice and talk about. I been reading stuff about Jungle for more than two decades and everybody mentions the killer guitar riff, Axl unbelievable vocals, but no one mentions that

The first person i remember mentioning it was Gene Simmons, when he mentioned that "That intro is almost symphonic" (here = http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gene-simmons-says-guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-had-an-honesty-that-rock-and-roll-had-been-missing/)

For those that still cant see the beauty and the greatness of Izzys playing, and also the power of Steven and Duff, it should be a good idea to check the intro to Welcome to the Jungle and try and notice what they are doing

izzy here

• Like 4

The liner notes state it is Izzy. I can understand why people might think it is Slash, and the tone certainly sounds like Slash, but the truth is it's Izzy, as stated in the liner notes.

Not trying to be a cunt man, but it really is Slash. I'm 100% sure. His tone, his bends, his phrasing, note choices. It's unmistakably Slash.

Yeah I'm with you man, it's Slash.

• Like 1

Izzy plays the first half of the first Nightrain solo. He plays the Double Talkin Jive solo except for the acoustic outro I think, Think About You solo. Izzy plays that great rhythm electric guitar on One On A Million that totally evolved the song.

Definitely no leads on Estranged.

You can totally tell its Slash playing Double Talkin Jive, that vibrato is finger print like.
Sounds like Slash, but it is Izzy. He's playing the same setup as Slash and so it sounds similar. I think the liner notes credit Izzy also. Acoustic outro definitely slash though.
Wrong. And it's easy to know because Slash tells many times, how many guitars he used on the "UYI" recordings. And he specified, Izzy used only one guitar(maybe a LPJ double cutaway, if anybody must confirm ?) during UYI sessions. Izz has written lyrics & basic music of "Double Talkin Jive", he sings the song, but Slash has performed both solos ! Izzy and Slash has différent tones and it's Slash tone, no doubt... For the electric solo, he used probably his Les Paul 59 replica and for the acoustic part he used a Ramirez.
The liner notes state it is Izzy. I can understand why people might think it is Slash, and the tone certainly sounds like Slash, but the truth is it's Izzy, as stated in the liner notes.

The Liner notes for double talking jive states the following:

Izzy wrote it

Vocals Izzy

Rhythm guitars Izzy

Lead and rhythm slash

Acoustics rhythm guitars Duff, Slash

Izzy plays the first half of the first Nightrain solo. He plays the Double Talkin Jive solo except for the acoustic outro I think, Think About You solo. Izzy plays that great rhythm electric guitar on One On A Million that totally evolved the song.

You can totally tell its Slash playing Double Talkin Jive, that vibrato is finger print like.

Sounds like Slash, but it is Izzy. He's playing the same setup as Slash and so it sounds similar. I think the liner notes credit Izzy also. Acoustic outro definitely slash though.

Wrong. And it's easy to know because Slash tells many times, how many guitars he used on the "UYI" recordings. And he specified, Izzy used only one guitar(maybe a LPJ double cutaway, if anybody must confirm ?) during UYI sessions. Izz has written lyrics & basic music of "Double Talkin Jive", he sings the song, but Slash has performed both solos ! Izzy and Slash has différent tones and it's Slash tone, no doubt... For the electric solo, he used probably his Les Paul 59 replica and for the acoustic part he used a Ramirez.

not ramirez, it's flamenco !

Back Off Bitch Intro is NOT Izzy btw.

Actually it is Izzy. Slash said himself, he could not play it consistently, so Izzy did it.

Yep:

Slash: I play the main solo. I used to play this high-end trill thing for the first solo, but I could never play it consistently. So I just took it off altogether and let Izzy put a lead on, which is really a lot cooler. [...] It's a contemporary-metal style song. [laughs] I mean, it's so generic in that way. It's like E, D, D, D flat, D-that kind of thing. [...] I am just picking them [the fast arpeggios]; I can't tap to save my life [Guitar World, February 1992]

Izzy plays the opening riffs on YCBM?

I saw this clip of Rock in Rio and Izzy is centre stage playing those intro riffs.

YCBM is one of those songs where Izzy is pretty audible without having to make an effort to hear him unlike the rest of UYI 2.

Slash definitely took over. It's a shame really. The guitar interplay between him and Izzy was one of the best things about the band. A big part of the sound. Slash still did incredible work. Every solo so expressive and great. But we lost that guitar interplay. The only place you can get that guitar interplay is Appetite. In a way it makes the album even more special. No one ever recreated that. Not even Guns. Ghost was a nice reminder why Slash sounds the best with Izzy on rhythm.

• Like 1

That interplay is everywhere on UYI too but you need to make an effort. RNDTH, Dust N' Bones, the middle of LALD, Don't Cry in the verses, Perfect Crime (a big one), Bad Obsession, Don't Damn Me, the parts of Garden of Eden where Izzy plays clearly, DTJ, YCBM etc etc.

That interplay is everywhere on UYI too but you need to make an effort. RNDTH, Dust N' Bones, the middle of LALD, Don't Cry in the verses, Perfect Crime (a big one), Bad Obsession, Don't Damn Me, the parts of Garden of Eden where Izzy plays clearly, DTJ, YCBM etc etc.

I'm aware of Izzy's playing on Illusions. It does not compare to Appetite. The mix is wrong. Izzy doesn't play as much. He needs to play as much as he played in Appetite in order to achieve that sound.

The guitar weaving is not happening on Illusions. Not to the desired extent. It's not there anymore like it was on Appetite. It's like Izzy said: sounds like a Les Paul plugged in a giant Marshall or something.

One element overshadows another, and you don't get the explosive reaction like you do in Appetite where it's just right. When all the pieces come together to form something better. This was always what the band was about in general as well, musically speaking. Each band member balancing one another so you don't get too much or too little from 1 of them. Even Slash's guitars are included.

Can't disturb the balance. You'll lose the sound.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

You guys need to stop wanking on Appetite, it was a great record, but the Illusions Albums were an awesome period with many iconic songs that were just as big as Appetite.

"They didn't do anything like Appetite"...You Could Be Mine & Back Off Bitch from the Appetite Era say your argument is invalid!.

Izzy wrote it

Vocals Izzy

Rhythm guitars Izzy

Lead and rhythm slash

No they don't. They state:

Lead and rhythm guitars: Izzy

Classical guitar outro: Slash

Fuck! It's Slash! please trust! no matter what the liner notes states. I know what he sounds like. Izzy doesn't play that way, at all. AT ALL. Slash plays that way, and that's Slash cause it's Slash, right there. His playing is too unique to mistake it for Izzy's, which is so different. Please understand. Just listen to it again. That's Slash bro.

Suggestion: listen to a live version, Slash does the solo, then listen to the studio version.

Listen to his bend vibrato, listen to his phrasing. Doesn't both sounds like... Slash?

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Izzy wrote it

Vocals Izzy

Rhythm guitars Izzy

Lead and rhythm slash

I looked up the liner notes and typed them here... Why are you spreading this lie?