which songs dose Izzy Stradlin plays lead guitar on Guns N' Roses ablums ?

A quick Google search revealed fans discussed this issue numerous types throughout the years. Apparently the majority of booklets list Izzy as the lead guitarist in the song, but a handful of CD copies and almost all the cassette copies list Slash as the lead guitar player on the song. Anyone who says the solo does not sound 100% like Slash just wants to hear what they want to hear. I say this confidently as someone who only possesses rudimentary knowledge of guitar.

Izzy plays the first half of the first Nightrain solo. He plays the Double Talkin Jive solo except for the acoustic outro I think, Think About You solo. Izzy plays that great rhythm electric guitar on One On A Million that totally evolved the song.

Definitely no leads on Estranged.

He ONLY plays the acoustic lead solo onthis DTJ outtake

As for Estranged:

I believe the official UYI booklet instead of you

Listening to all the demos in this thread has been so nice. There's really no band like GNR.

• Like 1

Could you please stop. It was my fault. I started this discussion and it was a mistake.

I remember in my booklet Izzy is credited as the lead guitarist but I haven't heard the studio version in over a decade because it sucks compared to the live version they used to play. This tune has a completely different drive, feeling, attitude when it's been playing live.

So yeah my mistake. Booklet's wrong, most of you are right. It's definitely Slash playing the solo.

It's not noodly. It's like the solo to Blue Hotel. I think Slash plays that flamenco stuff. That's why I think Slash on If the World would work. Slash, Pitman and Axl could make it fly.

The solo is minimal like Slash's SCOM slow solos. At least some of it. Lyrical. He plays what the song asks for. He said recently that he considers himself to be like a singer, meaning he aims to make it sound human with his guitar playing. That means less notes sometimes.

And there are parts with flurries of notes in the solo that Izzy never did. Live, Slash expanded on it even more and noodled for 5 minutes.

Edited by Rovim

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Listening to GNR with headphones Izzy is usually in my left ear and Slash my right. Is it possible Stradlin wrote some of he first solo but didn't bother to turn up and play the damn thing? It sounds like Slash, but it's ON THE LEFT! ?

I think you missed my point. I know that Izzy plays the first half of the solo but since Gilby plays on the Live Era performance does he play it or does Slash play the whole thing? 

3 hours ago, 98izzark said:

I think you missed my point. I know that Izzy plays the first half of the solo but since Gilby plays on the Live Era performance does he play it or does Slash play the whole thing? 

Gilby did Izzy's solo throughout the tour afaik. You can see him do it in Argentina etc...

Apart from the DTJ solo being unmistakably Slash in style and tone also, Izzy recorded most of his parts waaay before everybody else which probably means Slash didn't even have his rig set up in the studio yet....possibly just some basic shit for masters. Do some people think Izzy snuck back back in the studio at some point, jumped on Slash's gear and ripped a solo?, fuck outta here he was in Indiana painting his house.

25 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

No... that's pure Slash.

I can't know for sure that it is Izzy, but there are three reasons why I can't be sure it isn't. It doesn't sound like Slash if you listen closely. The solo is written by Izzy. It says so in the booklet.

17 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Apart from the DTJ solo being unmistakably Slash in style and tone also, Izzy recorded most of his parts waaay before everybody else which probably means Slash didn't even have his rig set up in the studio yet....possibly just some basic shit for masters. Do some people think Izzy snuck back back in the studio at some point, jumped on Slash's gear and ripped a solo?, fuck outta here he was in Indiana painting his house.

How can you be so sure he wasn't around at all anymore? Did you work on those albums? Were you there? If so, then I'll take your word for it. If not, then you can't know.

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I can't know for sure that it is Izzy, but there are three reasons why I can't be sure it isn't. It doesn't sound like Slash if you listen closely. The solo is written by Izzy. It says so in the booklet.

How can you be so sure he wasn't around at all anymore? Did you work on those albums? Were you there? If so, then I'll take your word for it. If not, then you can't know.

And i'll take your word for it that "it doesn't sound like Slash if you listen closely"