Guns N' Roses PLAY TROUBADOUR LOS ANGELES, FRIDAY APRIL 1, 2016: Axl, Slash & Duff Reunited

So just to add more fuel to the fire. I work in the music industry in LA. I've asked around and a lot of "in the know" people seem to think it's on at the Troubadour. Obviously that tells us nothing more than we don't already know, but where there's smoke.....

3 minutes ago, axlslash said:

They're gonna look mighty stupid if the show tomorrow that they swore up and down wouldn't be GNR actually turns out to be GNR...

It makes sense they will deny deny deny, then post all this stuff! It's part of the confusion that makes the joke that much better in the end. 

19 minutes ago, mashandflutter said:

Alright guys, I had a rare day off today so I decided to roll the dice and go to the Troubadour. Needless to say, what I discovered just muddies the waters up even more.  

First thing I noticed was the 'upcoming shows' vinyl banner out front in the window. As you can see this banner had to have been up for some time because the first show advertised is on 2/23. And of course there's no event listed for 04/01 which means this date has been reserved for some time.

So I walked around to the back alley and there were probably like 6 or 7 people working - nothing at all that would indicate anything GnR related was going on (And nothing of GnR's would be there the night before anyway for a club that small. Professional road crews always set up and break down gigs on the same day. Plus, there's a band playing tonight anyway). The workers were pretty quiet, but nice. I told them I was looking for the Troubadour ticketing office and so one of the workers invited me into the Troubadour main room to talk to the lady in charge. I went in and politely asked if any tickets were available for tomorrow night which was met with a rather aggressive "no!" And that was it and I was directed outside. Her reaction was telling enough - if tomorrow's concert was a rock show with a bunch of elementary school girls, I would have expected a different tone and response. Bottom line is she wanted me gone, stat.

So on my way to my car I decided to call the ticketing office and I spoke to someone else. This person definitively told me that tomorrow night is not what everyone thinks it is, and that it IS in fact a concert with a bunch of elementary school girls. She said the April Fools joke was on them (i.e the people working for the Troubadour) because they have been completely slammed with calls asking about GnR.  So there you have it.

Here's my take: I wouldn't be surprised, or even mad, if they lied to me. In this day and age, GnR has done an impeccable job controlling the flow of information regarding their plans. I bet people's jobs at the Troubadour are on the line if they leak anything. Think about it, when I asked the lady about tickets in the venue, there were already 6 or 7 co-workers as witnesses right there.  And if something gets out that causes a massive clusterfuck at the venue and it gets back to management that this woman (or anyone else) was responsible? She would be toast, and I wouldn't want that for her or anyone else there.  

I knew going down there today and getting any info, let alone tickets was a hail mary. I was hoping that maybe my timing was perfect or something with tickets getting released and I was there at the right place at the right time. Not to be.  

So is GnR playing the Troubadour? Who fucking knows! LOL! But if anyone miraculously gets a plus one, hit me up! ;)

IMG_5387.JPG

Damn good try! Thanks for the info!

27 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

They were freaking incredible. REAL music. Raw and unfiltered with no bullshit. The last great rock band IMHO. The people who were there for the early club days and the Appetite tour have no idea how lucky they were.

yes, to all of this. Seeing them sitting on an amp side stage was just incredible. I knew I was seeing something special and I saw bands 7 nights a week. it was just unrivaled.

1 hour ago, KiernanProud said:

I don't care one way or the other but for what it's worth, yes, they were billed as the first shows 

and actually I just read that the Vegas shows were the "warm up " shows for Coachella! I have no idea what is going to happen but I think a lot of people will be disappointed if no "secret warm up gig" happens. i myself am glad i have solid tickets to a show that's definitely happening and getting to see Axl back with Slash with thousands of people that love them as much as i do :heart:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rft2003 said:

Damn the whisky! I have tickets reserved for Friday they are so adamant about nothing happening but just posted this!!!!!

image.png

The big announcement tomorow from Guns n Roses is in reference to the announcement of dates and venues for the upcoming US shows.  

24 minutes ago, mashandflutter said:

Alright guys, I had a rare day off today so I decided to roll the dice and go to the Troubadour. Needless to say, what I discovered just muddies the waters up even more.  

First thing I noticed was the 'upcoming shows' vinyl banner out front in the window. As you can see this banner had to have been up for some time because the first show advertised is on 2/23. And of course there's no event listed for 04/01 which means this date has been reserved for some time.

So I walked around to the back alley and there were probably like 6 or 7 people working - nothing at all that would indicate anything GnR related was going on (And nothing of GnR's would be there the night before anyway for a club that small. Professional road crews always set up and break down gigs on the same day. Plus, there's a band playing tonight anyway). The workers were pretty quiet, but nice. I told them I was looking for the Troubadour ticketing office and so one of the workers invited me into the Troubadour main room to talk to the lady in charge. I went in and politely asked if any tickets were available for tomorrow night which was met with a rather aggressive "no!" And that was it and I was directed outside. Her reaction was telling enough - if tomorrow's concert was a rock show with a bunch of elementary school girls, I would have expected a different tone and response. Bottom line is she wanted me gone, stat.

So on my way to my car I decided to call the ticketing office and I spoke to someone else. This person definitively told me that tomorrow night is not what everyone thinks it is, and that it IS in fact a concert with a bunch of elementary school girls. She said the April Fools joke was on them (i.e the people working for the Troubadour) because they have been completely slammed with calls asking about GnR.  So there you have it.

Here's my take: I wouldn't be surprised, or even mad, if they lied to me. In this day and age, GnR has done an impeccable job controlling the flow of information regarding their plans. I bet people's jobs at the Troubadour are on the line if they leak anything. Think about it, when I asked the lady about tickets in the venue, there were already 6 or 7 co-workers as witnesses right there.  And if something gets out that causes a massive clusterfuck at the venue and it gets back to management that this woman (or anyone else) was responsible? She would be toast, and I wouldn't want that for her or anyone else there.  

I knew going down there today and getting any info, let alone tickets was a hail mary. I was hoping that maybe my timing was perfect or something with tickets getting released and I was there at the right place at the right time. Not to be.  

So is GnR playing the Troubadour? Who fucking knows! LOL! But if anyone miraculously gets a plus one, hit me up! ;)

IMG_5387.JPG

Thanks for the info & effort!

5 minutes ago, MichelleRenee said:

yes, to all of this. Seeing them sitting on an amp side stage was just incredible. I knew I was seeing something special and I saw bands 7 nights a week. it was just unrivaled.

I envy you. You witnessed something that was so stark and pure, it leaves me speechless.

Edited by AncientEvil80

This whole thread takes me back to early 2006... right before the Hammerstein shows. I had tickets to the second show, but I remember watching these forums go nuts with anticipation before that first show. Who was the new guitarist? What did Axl look like? lol

Totally different context now, but many of the same emotions. I just love the energy this band puts off by doing absolutely nothing haha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Again, I'm super happy about all that's happening, but I take it for what it is. And amusing reunion for old times sake. 

To me GNR was about showing absolute beauty in the purity of destruction. And that required youth, and naive notes.

But yea, it's only RNR after all, right!? :-)

Agh! Fair enough! I misinterpreted you the first time around, concluding you weren't a fan since as far back as '85.

I agree, this is about the money and not the same rationale that brought them together in the early days. The purity and raw agression that was gnr circa 85-93 is long gone. Well... There are slight signs of the old mentality, but that's mainly Axl and even he has tamed considerably.

I think we all look at it like you're describing, but most just accept it for what it is, and just enjoy it. I'd guess that if gnr had never broke up, they would be in much the same state now... Much more corporate and less "lets destroy everything in our path" just like the stones, metallica and just about every band. Ageing is a bitch.