is the setlist this summer going to be the same

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

In the last 2 seconds of the video, Duff asks which song they would like to play and Axl responds...

Says "one of the songs"?

I don't know... I don't have head phones available right now. But thru my phone, I don't think it sounds like Axl. If you guys say so- I hope you're right! Might mean something different...

2 minutes ago, Derick said:

Yep..Did you understand what Axl said?  I recognized his voice but I could only understand  "& ¨% & ¨..song"  

Not much... I also hear "song" as the last word, not sure what precedes. It sounds like he's eating :lol:

3 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Says "one of the songs"?

I don't know... I don't have head phones available right now. But thru my phone, I don't think it sounds like Axl. If you guys say so- I hope you're right! Might mean something different...

It is Axl. Not only that one but throughout the whole video, from second 0:30 he's talking in the background with a very low voice.

Yeah, gotta listen to it with headphones on.

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Not much... I also hear "song" as the last word, not sure what precedes. It sounds like he's eating :lol:

It is Axl. Not only that one but throughout the whole video, from second 0:30 he's talking in the background with a very low voice.

Yeah, gotta listen to it with headphones on.

I can hear that deep voice, but that's not Axl. Go listen to the China Exchange interview and compare. It's not Axl's voice. 

5 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

That's not Axl's voice. I can tell you that. All i could see/hear is Duff, Melissa and Slash. But im 100% sure that that is not Axl's voice.

I also do think it's Axl. Moreover, who else would reply to "what do you guys wanna start with"? Frank? Fortus? Some random guy passing by? Nah. 

:shrugs:

2 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

I also do think it's Axl. Moreover, who else would reply to "what do you guys wanna start with"? Frank? Fortus? Some random guy passing by? Nah. 

Exactly! Context also helps to understand things better.

If Axl wasn't there, mostly likely Slash would answer that question and that is not Slash voice.

9 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I can hear that deep voice, but that's not Axl. Go listen to the China Exchange interview and compare. It's not Axl's voice. 

Why should I listen to the China Exchange interview? (aside from having listened to it like a million times)

I've listened to Axl's voice for over 25 years. I should know better when recognizing his voice, even with the changes that come with age, I am 100% sure that is Axl's voice.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I've listened to Axl's voice for over 25 years. I should know better when recognizing his voice, even with the changes that come with age, I am 100% sure that is Axl's voice.

I was going to say something like that ...I don´t know...I´m pretty sure that´s him..I've been heard this motherfucker for a long long time..interviews, rants, jokes,imitations, etc..It´s him.

2 minutes ago, Derick said:

I was going to say something like that ...I don´t know...I´m pretty sure that´s him..I've been heard this motherfucker for a long long time..interviews, rants, jokes,imitations, etc..It´s him.

Yeah. Even with all of our history as fans, we can make mistakes and mishear something, but there's another element that is context and in this case, I really doubt the McBob guy would decide what songs they should rehearse :lol:

Anyway, this is just my OPINION. I am sure of what I hear but I can't dictate what others hear or want to hear, so it is useless to fight over this.

• Like 1

EvanG

Sorry but you are dead wrong about them not changing their setlist up.

www.gnrontour.com

Check out the summer 91 tour alone.  They opened with different songs ,played songs in totally different orders.  There was some structure but each night was different even if the same songs were played.

Playing the same songs and playing the same setlist are not the same thing.  They have never had a huge catalogue to choose from so they can't be quite like Springsteen or Pearl Jam but at least on the UYI tour you weren't sure when songs would be played.

You are just plain wrong.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EvanG said:

No, that's not true. I've had this discussion before on here so I went to setlist.fm to check a lot of random setlists from the UYI tour and they played almost the same setlist each night back then too. I agree that they mixed it up a little bit more than they do now, but it was still a lot of the hits and songs that they play now. Check it yourself if you don't believe me.

We have to accept that GnR isn't like Pearl Jam or Bruce Springsteen, acts that play a completely different setlist each night. Then again, GnR doesn't have nearly as many songs as they do. 

EvanG

www.gnrontour.com

Check out the summer 91 tour alone.  They opened with different songs ,played songs in totally different orders.  There was some structure but each night was different even if the same songs were played.

Playing the same songs and playing the same setlist are not the same thing.  They have never had a huge catalogue to choose from so they can't be quite like Springsteen or Pearl Jam but at least on the UYI tour you weren't sure when songs would be played.

6 hours ago, sibidy7 said:

EvanG

www.gnrontour.com

Maybe we have a different definition of ''changing up their setlist''?

The UYI tour was about 2,5 years long, and when you look at most of the setlists from that tour you will see that every show has a lot of the same songs. I never said that they played the exact same 20 songs each show, but there isn't that much diversity either. And I don't even blame them, they didn't have that many albums to choose from. (they still don't...) 

There are bands that really change it up every show, hardly ever play the same setlist and don't care about not playing their biggest hits each night, and that is what I call ''changing it up''. Playing about 90% of the same songs every show, like they did during the UYI tour, isn't ''changing it up'' in my book. But as I said, they didn't have that many songs to choose from, so I get it.

Playing songs in a different order doesn't mean they are playing a different setlist to me. It doesn't matter if they play You Could Be Mine at the beginning or the end or in the middle. Playing a different setlist is playing different songs, in my opinion.

Edited by EvanG

17 hours ago, tobige666 said:

In my opinion is nightrain or wtj a better song to start the concert than its so easy and brownstone ?

I think Mr. Brownstone can stay in its usual spot. It'd be cool to see them open with Nightrain though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

I for one am getting excited to watch the periscopes, but at the same time am expecting to be let down if its the same set list.  Just because i watched enough of the previous legs.

At least you're prepared.

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

Maybe we have a different definition of ''changing up their setlist''?

The UYI tour was about 2,5 years long, and when you look at most of the setlists from that tour you will see that every show has a lot of the same songs. I never said that they played the exact same 20 songs each show, but there isn't that much diversity either. And I don't even blame them, they didn't have that many albums to choose from. (they still don't...) 

There are bands that really change it up every show, hardly ever play the same setlist and don't care about not playing their biggest hits each night, and that is what I call ''changing it up''. Playing about 90% of the same songs every show, like they did during the UYI tour, isn't ''changing it up'' in my book. But as I said, they didn't have that many songs to choose from, so I get it.

Playing songs in a different order doesn't mean they are playing a different setlist to me. It doesn't matter if they play You Could Be Mine at the beginning or the end or in the middle. Playing a different setlist is playing different songs, in my opinion.

Fair enough.  Good points.

I just would prefer the feeling that they aren't a movie.  Which playing the same songs every night in the same order is to me.

But they still threw in different songs on a regular basis and were not predictable.  

And as we both said, hard to add that many songs when you only have 3 full albums.

I'll play Devils advocate for a second, let me start by saying I like coma, it's a good song. But I never quite understood why people treat it like its the holy grail of the GNR catalogue. 

i do understand the excitement of it being reintroduced on this tour as it was one of the few surprises in the set list. 

For me, I'd like to see my Michelle become a staple, along with yesterday's. 

There is no reason why the band couldn't bring back so fine, it's not a challenging song and it would be a fresh addition, let's be honest there is still a good dozen songs they don't play that they could if they wanted to spice it back up but for some reason they aren't interested in it. 

On 5/10/2017 at 3:16 PM, Lies They Tell said:

What the hell? Do you really think all die-hard fans have the money to fly to America or Asia, just to see GNR, which is expensive in itself already? If so, then you're crazy. The bottom line is that this incarnation of GNR has not toured Europe yet. Nobody over here has seen them perform Coma, expect a couple of rich people who could afford the trip to another side of the world. Just because you want variety in your periscope videos is not a good enough reason to drop arguably the biggest fan favorite song from the setlist. When they come back to NA and SA, then they can do all kinds of changes to the setlist, cause they've already toured there. But right now the last thing they should do is drop Coma.

when did I say any of this? as I said in my first post "if they are back in the States" meaning the 2nd leg of their tour that is starting at the end of July

On 5/10/2017 at 3:16 PM, Lies They Tell said:

What the hell? Do you really think all die-hard fans have the money to fly to America or Asia, just to see GNR, which is expensive in itself already? If so, then you're crazy. The bottom line is that this incarnation of GNR has not toured Europe yet. Nobody over here has seen them perform Coma, expect a couple of rich people who could afford the trip to another side of the world. Just because you want variety in your periscope videos is not a good enough reason to drop arguably the biggest fan favorite song from the setlist. When they come back to NA and SA, then they can do all kinds of changes to the setlist, cause they've already toured there. But right now the last thing they should do is drop Coma.

when did I say any of this? as I said in my first post "if they are back in the States" meaning the 2nd leg of their tour that is starting at the end of July

Same setlist, no changes. Not complaining, it's a fine setlist... but I would love to hear a few surprises like Pretty tied up, yesterdays, locomotive, dead horse.

Also, they can drop Coma at any point... really have no interest in hearing all 10? minutes of it live and I can safely say the majority of the usual 60/70000 people in attendance don't want to hear it either... Coma is a song for full on GNR nerds... and even some of them don't really like the song (like me).

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1