The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

19 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Ozzy started like 20 years before Axl..

Sure, sure, but I was talking about a show from 2010 (perhaps 2011), and the fact Ozzy could still fill a big arena. Meaning, you don't have to be at the top of your game to gather people and have people spend a nice time. I think most people attend shows just to have a nice time. Especially after work. It's refreshing. They don't go in there with a "music critic" mindset.

I understand your frustration though.

I was really sad when I watched Rock in Rio 2011. I wondered what the fuck happened for the whole show (I watched the live streaming and I was cringing, especially when he forgot the lyrics on November Rain). Even when he brought back Estranged to the setlist on that night, it was such a catastrophe I didn't care about the song. I had the 2010 shows I had attended in mind, and I just didn't understand how he could lose it in a year. Like he didn't train at all. I know I mention this gig a lot but, it was the biggest let down ever, as a fan. It's at a moment like this when I wondered if he still gave a fuck.

But time has passed, and I saw he did give a fuck. Singing Coma every night in 2016-2017 is proof enough for me. I appreciate the effort, deeply. Things like this are proof he is a passionate man. Axl never went back to his 2010 level vocally, but he has gotten more and more wisdom. And he looks happy and healthy. That's really the most important thing. I like seeing him like that. For some reason, it makes me happy. I have a deep affection for the man (no homo).

When he connected back with Slash, I understood I had more in common with Axl than I knew. I lived something quite similar the same year, one or two months before I learnt Axl was friend with Slash again. Talk of a coincidence. Except, I didn't call, I crashed in my ex-friend's apartment, without letting him know I was coming. It was a 2-hour drive to go see him. I was hesitating the whole drive through. It was tough. But it was worth it. It's not easy to make this kind of decision.

One has to wonder what went through his mind to make peace like he did. I kind of know what it is. You realize you're not here for that long. You concentrate on the good times. And really balance whether it's worth it to ignore the person for the rest of your life, or to be friends again and have more good times. And in their case, make a lot of people have a good time with them.

All in all, all things considered, I don't really give a fuck whether he's top-notch vocally now. I just enjoy seeing the dude well, alive and performing. Let's enjoy what we have at the present time. It all goes so fast.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Holy hell, that scream before the solo!! :drool: I miss this Axl’s vocals compared to what we have today.

Seriously, that scream has to be one of his best moments vocally in the 2000’s and I’ve never heard it before seeing this. Wow.

Wait, the scream at 2:27 after he fucked up the lyric? I mean, it's a cool moment, it was always cool when he improvised (Madagascar in Hungary 2006 is a favourite moment of mine) but he had a lot of way better screams in the nugnr era :axl::lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Wait, the scream at 2:27 after he fucked up the lyric? I mean, it's a cool moment, it was always cool when he improvised (Madagascar in Hungary 2006 is a favourite moment of mine) but he had a lot of way better screams in the nugnr era :axl::lol:

Eh, I think after Berlin I’m just easily impressed atm lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Eh, I think after Berlin I’m just easily impressed atm lol

Those 'Axl Rose Disaster' videos kinda went away once NITL started but I think the Berlin show falls into that category... I think it was worse than Rio and Bridge School (at least Bridge School wasn't a full show!)

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Those 'Axl Rose Disaster' videos kinda went away once NITL started but I think the Berlin show falls into that category... I think it was worse than Rio and Bridge School (at least Bridge School wasn't a full show!)

Way worse than both of those shows, never have seen him in such a state...I cannot stress how good it is for the band that this concert was not live streamed as a pro shot. 

• Like 2

Saw this video of Axl singing sitting down. Recent Axl starts at 3:50. It’s insane how great he sounds vs his condition in 2017 and 2018. 2016 he was generally on fire!

I am hoping he gets it together or just stops touring until he’s up for it.  He has to know he sounds bad.  Money is always a motivator, but he’s made enough recently and can monetize “the vault” sitting at home while still protecting his legacy and pride.

wishing for the best!

Edited by nycgunner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nycgunner said:

Saw this video of Axl singing sitting down. Recent Axl starts at 3:50. It’s insane how great he sounds vs his condition in 2017 and 2018. 2016 he was generally on fire!

I am hoping he gets it together or just stops touring until he’s up for it.  He has to know he sounds bad.  Money is always a motivator, but he’s made enough recently and can monetize “the vault” sitting at home while still protecting his legacy and pride.

wishing for the best!

2016 was truly Axl's year, glad i got to see Guns live that summer. 

He should have never done ACDC. All he had to do was concentrate on GNR. He could have hired a vocal coach and got physically fit. Had he done this, he might have still been able to sound decent.He should just retire now and allow Slash and Duff to continue the legacy.

I guess a GNR reunion was not big enough for his ego.

Edited by SWINGTRADER

The vocals are bad right now. It doesn't sound better in the stadium than on YouTube.  It's not because Axl is always sick. It's not all the sound guys fault. It's not that it takes a few shows to warm up, he sounded quite good in 2016 at the start. 

He just doesn't sound good anymore and is the weak link of the show. 

He probably reunited knowing damn well that he needed more star power to carry him through a show. 

Hard to believe they had 6 months off.

If either the sound or Axl aren't right tonight we might see Axl kicking off. Tbh that may give the tour a bit of edge because at the minute the tour is becoming rather predictable. Everyone knows the set list, they come on & leave on time. It's too clinical the tour needs a bit of edge a bit of uncertainty. At one time Guns were called "the most dangerous band in the world" At the moment they risk being called "the most punctual & clinical band in the world" I say bring back the edginess what do you guys think ?

I really don't get it.

"Oh it'll give it some edginess!" What the fuck? Did anybody ever think how Axl or the band would feel after that? Do you think Axl just storms off stage and is like "Well that sucked but anyway..."?

It's like some people are hoping for it, not thinking about how miserable he/they will feel afterwards. Is that really what you want? 

Just seeing him explode but not thinking of the aftermath. Like he's a zoo animal or something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

What edginess? Being high and drunk all the time and Axl being a volatile egomaniac nutcase?

They were in their 20’s! No 50-something year old is going to be edgy in any way, and even if they try, it doesn’t look cool or dangerous, it’s downright pathetic. VERY few guys can pull that off, one of them is Charly Garcia, but he’s light years ahead of Axl in the creative department, plus he earned the privilege to be full of himself.

What the gnr shows are missing: decent vocals, fresh setlist, new songs.

Charly Garcia❓ who f..ck know Charly Garcia in this forum❓😨plus he is very pathetic....

52 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

I really don't get it.

"Oh it'll give it some edginess!" What the fuck? Did anybody ever think how Axl or the band would feel after that? Do you think Axl just storms off stage and is like "Well that sucked but anyway..."?

It's like some people are hoping for it, not thinking about how miserable he/they will feel afterwards. Is that really what you want? 

Just seeing him explode but not thinking of the aftermath. Like he's a zoo animal or something.

Indeed, this would be ridicoulous.

51 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Charly Garcia❓ who f..ck know Charly Garcia in this forum❓😨plus he is very pathetic....

Dont underestimate the ammount of argie fans.

Charly in the last 20 years is actually pathetic, yeah.

But he was one of the best composers in the world and still is a great musician, he plays really well every instrument.

And also... who are you to call him pathetic? The guy has seen and live sone big shit you can't probably imagine.

• GNFNR 1

On Monday, June 04, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Why do people keep saying this?

He was much heavier in 2016 (and especially in early 2010) and he sounded way better. His size isn't nearly as important as whether or not he fucking rehearses...

I am not saying that his weight has anything to do with it as much as his cardio shape. But both do go hand in hand. The guy must live a zero active lifestyle because he loses his breath after just a few hard steps on stage.

• Like 1