Did Duff's brief return make you believe a reunion would happen?

6 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

I don't think so. But i was 100% sure after slashs interview 

Same with me. I know a guy who played with Bumblefoot and he said that it's 100% happening but i still didn't believe it. Only after the Slash interview did i think 'yeah maybe it's true'

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wtf? I've never heard about any of that before. Where are u getting all this info from?

Was all posted and discussed on this board during the last 2 years or so. Some of it in D&N, some of it in the Women's Thread, some of it is straight from Duff's book...

Edited by Frey

this interview alone is very telling. You can sense how protective of Axl Duff is. Almost like he's an extension of the family atmosphere that TB created for him. So I think that's where Duff made this happen, by making Axl feel like he has a family outside of TB and that there are people looking out for him and that mean well. Created some trust between those two and I think Duff found a way to extend part of that to Slash and Axl and make a bridge between that relationship. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

this interview alone is very telling. You can sense how protective of Axl Duff is. Almost like he's an extension of the family atmosphere that TB created for him. So I think that's where Duff made this happen, by making Axl feel like he has a family outside of TB and that there are people looking out for him and that mean well. Created some trust between those two and I think Duff found a way to extend part of that to Slash and Axl and make a bridge between that relationship. 

I agree 100% with everything you just said.

But especially the part about Duff being protective of Axl. I've gotten that impression a lot as well over the last one or two years.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Frey said:

While the money certainly is a factor, you are severely underestimating Duff's importance:

- Duff said it was his goal to get Slash and Axl in one room and talking to each other again

- Marc Canter said Duff worked hard at getting Axl and Slash to see things from each other's perspectives and mediating between them

- Duff's wife also said Duff worked hard to make this reunion happen

- Duff forced himself back into Axl's life again by simply steam-rolling over TBs nonensense (they literally tried to make Duff go away by telling him Axl was naked, to which Duff replied "I don't give a fuck, I've seen him naked a million times")

- Duff still works hard at maintaining a healthy relationship with Axl and keeping Axl included in his life (going so far as to not just invite Axl, but also Axl's entire entourage over for BBQ, being very supportive about the whole AC/DC thing, etc.)

in the interview with duff didn't axl say that it was when the Coachella people came calling that pretty much got the ball rolling? He could have said duff started it all if it was indeed duff. Duff wasn't in the dinner at his house that he mentioned just slash. 

That never made me think Slash was going to return, as Axl had never hated Duff the same way he felt anger at Slash. Duff guested on some NuGNR performances and Axl said at most consider a mini reunion with Duff and Izzy in his HOF letter in 2012. Therefore, I moreso only thought Duff would permanently join NuGuns rather than what actually became.

When Duff joined GNR in London for that guest spot, I kinda figured and hoped that was the beginning of the end of the nu GNR experiment. You could see from that video that Axl had such a spark that night in London. The wheels inside Axl's head probably started turning that night when they met at the hotel.  There's no doubt that Duff was the guy who brought Axl and Slash back together again. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I did for the following reasons:

-I figured there was no way Axl and Duff could avoid discussing the subject while on tour together in SA.

-Bumble had already made it pretty obvious by that point that he was getting ready to leave.

-When asked about a reunion at the red carpet of the Golden God Awards, both Duff and Alice Cooper smirked and were like "yeah it could happen" (right at that moment I knew something was up).

-Then, Axl thanked "all the line-ups." And then when they performed, Dj fucked it all up (as usual) with his out-of-tune guitar, thus ruining NuGNR's last chance at ever being relevant.

-At the last Vegas show a few weeks later, Bumble said twice that it was his last show. 

-Then, another few weeks later, Axl gave those gold records with the message "thanks" to all the members, and Tommy started referring to his role with GNR in past tense. 

By that point (summer 2014 or whatever) I was pretty much dead-set on the belief that a semi-reunion was coming.

EDIT: oh yeah it was a few days after the last Vegas gig that year too when eddie trunk said a reunion "has been put into motion," and then later retracted that statement on Twitter, cause he's dumb.

This, but Trunk had correct and not think what he is dumb

6 hours ago, Frey said:

I agree 100% with everything you just said.

But especially the part about Duff being protective of Axl. I've gotten that impression a lot as well over the last one or two years.

I didn't realize it until I read Duff's book, but him and Axl always seemed to have a genuine friendship. Like Axl flying out to Seattle to do sober things with Duff after he got out of the hospital. Duff seems like just the kind of guy Axl needs in his life. An old friend who's not afraid to tell him what he thinks but understands and his patient with him at the same time.

Edited by Modano09
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, annabanana said:

in the interview with duff didn't axl say that it was when the Coachella people came calling that pretty much got the ball rolling? He could have said duff started it all if it was indeed duff. Duff wasn't in the dinner at his house that he mentioned just slash. 

Lol that was obviously a bullshit answer just like nearly every other thing they said in this interview. GNR didn't reunite because of some hipster festival (they've been offered that kind of money a million times before), they just wanted to avoid talking about difficult subjects in that interview, just like they did with the Izzy question.

In some way, this reunion has been in the works for much longer than that, ever since the fateful day Duff and Axl ended up at the same hotel (if that even was a coincidence- Axl has said he isn't convinced that it was one and he may be right- maybe Duff really had a plan -or a hope-  to get back with Axl at least and then see where it goes.)

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

I didn't realize it until I read Duff's book, but him and Axl always seemed to have a genuine friendship. Like Axl flying out to Seattle to do sober things with Duff after he got out of the hospital. Duff seems like just the kind of guy Axl needs in his life. An old friend who's not afraid to tell him what he thinks but understands and his patient with him at the same time.

Yeah that struck me as well when I read Duff's book. It's also apparent in some of his old interviews.

And I agree about Duff being the kind of guy Axl needs in life.

3 hours ago, Frey said:

Lol that was obviously a bullshit answer just like nearly every other thing they said in this interview. GNR didn't reunite because of some hipster festival (they've been offered that kind of money a million times before), they just wanted to avoid talking about difficult subjects in that interview, just like they did with the Izzy question.

In some way, this reunion has been in the works for much longer than that, ever since the fateful day Duff and Axl ended up at the same hotel (if that even was a coincidence- Axl has said he isn't convinced that it was one and he may be right- maybe Duff really had a plan -or a hope-  to get back with Axl at least and then see where it goes.)

Yeah that struck me as well when I read Duff's book. It's also apparent in some of his old interviews.

And I agree about Duff being the kind of guy Axl needs in life.

I agree with you, that was a bullshit answer. It wasn't that fucking festival. You could read Duffs body language to know that wasn't the whole truth.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

Seriously dude. It gets old. We know it now. Please find a new hobby or something 

Oh, thanks for answering my question. Since your answer was so complete and actually inspiring, I have another question for you:

SO IT IS REALLY TRUE THAT GNR REUNITED?

Please provide me a clear -- and inspiring -- answer for this one just like you did for my last question

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

wow, another eye-opening answer! Thanks to you now I have a hobby and a life! Thats so inspiring -- and life changing actually!

is it too much to ask you just one more question? just one... please?

i feel so enlightened by reading all these informative posts -- such quality info! -- that you are posting that i need to ask you JUST ONE MORE simple question...

do you mind answering it? here it goes...

SO THE GNR REUNION HAS REALLY HAPPENED?

The first reunion (under the GN'R name) took place in 2006, with Izzy

The second reunion (under the GN'R name) took place in 2010, with Duff

The third reunion (under the GN'R name) took place in 2016, with Slash (Adler too, but selected dates only)

Edited by Sosso

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

The first reunion (under the GN'R name) took place in 2006, with Izzy

The second reunion (under the GN'R name) took place in 2010, with Duff

The third reunion (under the GN'R name) took place in 2016, with Slash (Adler too, but selected dates only)

are you sure these were Guns n Roses reunions?

I haven't followed the band during the 2012-14 era, so hard to say. I don't really consider this a "reunion", but rather a failure to move on. the current nostalgia tour is just a "fuck it, we give up, let's tour the world with 30 years old songs" thing. 

and don't get me wrong, Duff is a really cool guy, possibly my most favourite guy from the classic lineups :)

I actually thought Duff coming back would mean we'd get a reunion - just not this reunion. Although I know Duff is good friends with Slash, he's been off doing his solo thing and Duff's not been doing so much the loaded tour/book thing (im not really sure what'd you call it).

I had half a thought that Duff would remain as Tommy was back with the replacements. I think we all felt bumblefoot was at the end of his tether with the GnR camp but I could of seen Izzy coming back with a Ashba (who i'd think would take the call and show up and play on anything Axl requested) and/or Fortus on lead or even building a strange version with Gilby. Drummer wise I never thought we'd see Matt back and Steven would be too much of a risk. But I kind of thought that Axl might of built a new band around Duff and the current band taking out some weak links. But thankfully Duff managed to get slash back (I think this Duff n' Axl band would of been with a view of getting Slash back in the long run anyway).

Also for people bitching about "is this a reunion?" - its got the 3 core members who were the only ones who played on AFD/Lies/UYI/Spaghetti and played on all the tours during that time (along with Dizzy who played from UYI onwards) - by most peoples standards that is a reunion. Now would I like to see Izzy and Steven back, yes - but its still a reunion.

Edited by life_247

2 hours ago, life_247 said:

I actually thought Duff coming back would mean we'd get a reunion - just not this reunion. Although I know Duff is good friends with Slash, he's been off doing his solo thing and Duff's not been doing so much the loaded tour/book thing (im not really sure what'd you call it).

I had half a thought that Duff would remain as Tommy was back with the replacements. I think we all felt bumblefoot was at the end of his tether with the GnR camp but I could of seen Izzy coming back with a Ashba (who i'd think would take the call and show up and play on anything Axl requested) and/or Fortus on lead or even building a strange version with Gilby. Drummer wise I never thought we'd see Matt back and Steven would be too much of a risk. But I kind of thought that Axl might of built a new band around Duff and the current band taking out some weak links. But thankfully Duff managed to get slash back (I think this Duff n' Axl band would of been with a view of getting Slash back in the long run anyway).

Also for people bitching about "is this a reunion?" - its got the 3 core members who were the only ones who played on AFD/Lies/UYI/Spaghetti and played on all the tours during that time (along with Dizzy who played from UYI onwards) - by most peoples standards that is a reunion. Now would I like to see Izzy and Steven back, yes - but its still a reunion.

would have