Did Duff's brief return make you believe a reunion would happen?

I think everyone was hopefull it would. But then there was a big belief that Duff might tip toe around Axl just as everyone else has.

Duff answering the call to play in SA gave Axl some trust in him, that's not an easy thing to agree to and Duff learned the material he needed to and fit right in..he was by Axl's side for the Golden Gods thing and made his appearances in Vegas. 

Then the rumor of Bumble leaving hit, and instead of answers we got these vague messages from him until finally DJ Ashba steps up and says he's out. I think it was around that time that the idea of Slash being back in became possible, but still just a dream. Until that very odd Slash interview that said him and Axl were cool again...still strange!

but I think it's clear now that Duff's role in this was pivotal. He bypassed team Brazil, got to Axl, and did whatever he could to reconnect the two. So yes Duff rejoining was the biggest point in that it gave him the right to get in Axl's ear.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think everyone was hopefull it would. But then there was a big belief that Duff might tip toe around Axl just as everyone else has.

Duff answering the call to play in SA gave Axl some trust in him, that's not an easy thing to agree to and Duff learned the material he needed to and fit right in..he was by Axl's side for the Golden Gods thing and made his appearances in Vegas. 

Then the rumor of Bumble leaving hit, and instead of answers we got these vague messages from him until finally DJ Ashba steps up and says he's out. I think it was around that time that the idea of Slash being back in became possible, but still just a dream. Until that very odd Slash interview that said him and Axl were cool again...still strange!

but I think it's clear now that Duff's role in this was pivotal. He bypassed team Brazil, got to Axl, and did whatever he could to reconnect the two. So yes Duff rejoining was the biggest point in that it gave him the right to get in Axl's ear.

Bypassed TB? You think they really are trying to avoid this route?

I can't honestly remember what I thought back then so I'm not going to say I did or didn't (without going back to read the threads) but with hindsight it obviously was a key moment. I think it's likely that many of us felt there was a chance that Duff would have an opportunity to resolve old issues and be a bridge between Axl and Slash. As @IncitingChaos says it wasn't until that Slash interview that it was more than wishful thinking. Prior to that I don't think anyone could be confident of Axl pulling a 180 on his previous stance and even then it was still a biggish leap from things being 'cool' to a massive world tour. I think the Coachella rumours were what really cemented it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Bypassed TB? You think they really are trying to avoid this route?

They tried extreamly hard to avoid this route in fear of upsetting Axl. 

Axl fired managers for trying to make a reunion happen. 

Beta initially told Duff that Axl was in the shower when he came to Axl's hotel room in 2010.

God knows what lengths they went to to avoid this. I don't think they thought it would end up this well, I think their fear was if something upset Axl. If you had to live with the guy you would do whatever it took to avoid any possible situation that got him mad. 

• Like 2

This was around the time when I started reading the forum and lurking for a couple of years. Maybe because I was new to it all but I believed it was the beginning of the reunion. I think the Golden Gods speech was Axl closing nu guns era and ready to move on. I've always thought that the decision to invite Duff was made because Axl wanted to test the waters. Given how long Axl spent trying to make people forget about the old line ups he knew having Duff would start leading to reunion talk all over again. 

I remember being excited when duff re-connected with Axl and played a few songs as a guest.

its worth pointing out that Duff left on reasonable terms (according to his book) so there was always a chance of his return, but I do believe he was the catalyst and mediator that bought slash back

• Like 1

Well there was a South American Tour. And Tommy was on tour with Replacements. So he couldn't be available for some shows. They called Duff.  Sure the door seemed open and a lot of people saw Duff as peace maker. But I don't think anybody dare to dream too much at the time.

41 minutes ago, Padme said:

Well there was a South American Tour. And Tommy was on tour with Replacements. So he couldn't be available for some shows. They called Duff.  Sure the door seemed open and a lot of people saw Duff as peace maker. But I don't think anybody dare to dream too much at the time.

I know I didn't dare dream that at the time. I didn't believe Axl and Slash were taking. I thought Slash was lying, exaggerating or distorting some interaction between himself and Axl's camp.

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Did anybody here think Duffs return would produce a reunion?

Yes. I did. I kinda knew they (mainly Axl and Slash) needed to talk and Axl needed to hear things from Slash's (and also Duff's perspective). So since Axl and Duff got to talk for a longer period of time the rest really just was a matter of time before it would happen.

• Like 1

I don't tthink duff had that much to do with the reunion or bypassed tb in any way. Slash needs to recoup the financial loss because of his divorce and axl needs the money, with members of tb procreating now adding to more mouths to feed. Plus all the mortages he has to pay which has been discussed already. The reunion is the only solution for slash  and axl. Duff is just part of it coz he is still a member of the corporation, if he wasn't he won't be there at all.

Edited by annabanana
  • Like 1

Yeah I did for the following reasons:

-I figured there was no way Axl and Duff could avoid discussing the subject while on tour together in SA.

-Bumble had already made it pretty obvious by that point that he was getting ready to leave.

-When asked about a reunion at the red carpet of the Golden God Awards, both Duff and Alice Cooper smirked and were like "yeah it could happen" (right at that moment I knew something was up).

-Then, Axl thanked "all the line-ups." And then when they performed, Dj fucked it all up (as usual) with his out-of-tune guitar, thus ruining NuGNR's last chance at ever being relevant.

-At the last Vegas show a few weeks later, Bumble said twice that it was his last show. 

-Then, another few weeks later, Axl gave those gold records with the message "thanks" to all the members, and Tommy started referring to his role with GNR in past tense. 

By that point (summer 2014 or whatever) I was pretty much dead-set on the belief that a semi-reunion was coming.

EDIT: oh yeah it was a few days after the last Vegas gig that year too when eddie trunk said a reunion "has been put into motion," and then later retracted that statement on Twitter, cause he's dumb.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

There were a few things that made me think it was possible despite all that had been said. Duff reconnecting with Axl in 2010 was obviously a big part, but subsequently there was that 2011 LA Times interview with Axl where he flat out said he could only see a reunion working with Slash and Duff. Just to hear "reunion" and "Slash" in the same sentence coming from Axl was pretty huge. I also recall a Duff interview where he said he'd by lying if he said he and Axl hadn't talked about it. I think that was in 2014 in memory serves me correctly.

• Like 1

Once Duff went on tour in SA with Axl it was just a matter of time, I remember talking to some people who were in denial, the reunion was their only hope at the time (nu gnr was done) and im super glad it worked out great for everyone!! :) 

• Like 1

yes, a spark of hope came when Duff joined for that night in London. Especially when i heard he had dinner and talked thru all shit with Axl afterwards. Then later when he stepped in for Stinson i thought a reunion of some sort would come.

Edited by estranged_85

13 minutes ago, Frey said:

While the money certainly is a factor, you are severely underestimating Duff's importance:

- Duff said it was his goal to get Slash and Axl in one room and talking to each other again

- Marc Canter said Duff worked hard at getting Axl and Slash to see things from each other's perspectives and mediating between them

- Duff's wife also said Duff worked hard to make this reunion happen

- Duff forced himself back into Axl's life again by simply steam-rolling over TBs nonensense (they literally tried to make Duff go away by telling him Axl was naked at the moment, to which Duff replied "I don't give a fuck, I've seen him naked a million times")

- Duff still works hard at maintaining a healthy relationship with Axl and keeping Axl included in his life (going so far as to not just invite Axl, but also Axl's entire entourage over for BBQ, being very supportive about the whole AC/DC thing, etc.)

IMO Duff really did get the ball rolling by at least opening up the lines of communication between the two. And makes sense. Duff comes off as such a genuine great guy so I safely feel he had everyone's best intentions in mind and not going after a cash grab tour. Once Slash said they were cool again I knew then and there it was happening at some point. 

Honestly that was such a weird time to be a fan. 

I felt like I was constantly on the verge of something big, or nothing at all. 

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I think a lot of us thought that Duff rejoining the band was as good as it would ever get. In my honest opinion I thought Axl and his band would fade away after that second Vegas residency. 

I think Duff was able to sit down and have a talk with Axl. I think he kinda talked sense into Axl a bit and got him to realize that this is kinda the only life we have and we shouldn't waste it being pissed. I'm sure the convo was a little different then that, but what makes me think Duff got into Axls mind are the books he wrote in the last couple of years, and his stances on most things. I don't know, Duff just seems like the most mature one out of all of them and I think its because he bounced back from all of the shit he lived through with GNR the quickest. 

Axl's demeanor has been completely different since this 'reunion' thing has gotten under way. His dark and sometimes immature sense of humor now takes the place of the angry, brash, and troubled soul we used to know, and the enigma that many of us fans have come to know in the past 20 years. He honestly seems happy with life right now, something we couldn't really say since the inception of this band. He seems fully content with everything that has happened in the past year and a half, also something many of us can't say, myself included. 

Who can really say if it was Duff or not? I'm sure in the next book Duff writes and when this whole tour is in the past and the hype dies down the whole story will be laid out for all of us to enjoy. Until then though, enjoy what we can get because who knows how long it will last! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frey said:

While the money certainly is a factor, you are severely underestimating Duff's importance:

- Duff said it was his goal to get Slash and Axl in one room and talking to each other again

- Marc Canter said Duff worked hard at getting Axl and Slash to see things from each other's perspectives and mediating between them

- Duff's wife also said Duff worked hard to make this reunion happen

- Duff forced himself back into Axl's life again by simply steam-rolling over TBs nonensense (they literally tried to make Duff go away by telling him Axl was naked, to which Duff replied "I don't give a fuck, I've seen him naked a million times")

- Duff still works hard at maintaining a healthy relationship with Axl and keeping Axl included in his life (going so far as to not just invite Axl, but also Axl's entire entourage over for BBQ, being very supportive about the whole AC/DC thing, etc.)

Wtf? I've never heard about any of that before. Where are u getting all this info from?