What do you think is more realistic at this point

What do you think is more realistic at this point?   

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hope we eventually get both, however Axl/Dc seems more likely to happen first.

In terms of GNR we know Axl has at least 2 albums worth of material in the vault. However we also know a great deal of this material is stylistically different to classic GNR and even the modern incarnation of the band. It would only be a matter of days for Slash/Duff to overdub onto stuff like Silkworms and polish them up if they hadn't already done so. However, is that the direction the band would want to take this many years later? Is a slashed up Jackie Chan really what the band wants to put out next when half the people associated with it are gone?

Meanwhile, Axl has expressed that he doesn't really like being handed finished instrumental guitar pieces and asked to add the top line. This makes it difficult to work with Slash on new music unless it was to happen more organically like at soundcheck or hanging out after a show or at some stage where Slash has unfinished riffs in progress rather than complete structures. 

This leads me to think the next GNR release might be something like an EP or a Greatest Hits but with 2 new songs or something like that. 

It would allow for cherry picking the most slash-suitable songs from the vault to get an airing - without having to rework an entire industrial album, and it would be a way to get out any random new song the band actually happened to come up with recently, but without the pressure of making 12 of them and having it live up to the back catalogue etc. It would also give them a reason to do an entirely new tour cycle for as little work as possible :lol:

As for Ac/Dc. That seems easier. Angus has been writing lyrics for Brian for several albums now. This means Angus can deliver Axl with finished complete Ac/Dc songs to sing - thus avoiding whatever writers block haunts Axl - no need for him to be creative and add top line stuff unless he wants to.  Hell Axl even joked in an interview that he'd love to record with Ac/Dc and it would be really helpful if someone could write some good songs for him. This seems more like with Angel Down - no pressure to be creative and all fun - and given Axl's love of Angus you'd think he'd bring his A game.

The only catch with Ac/Dc is that Angus long term writing partner Malcom is out of the picture now. I gather Rock or Bust was already a collection of spare riffs and leftovers - so there's some question of "does he have enough ideas left?" - but he's Angus Young - i'm sure he can cobble together another 8-10 rock songs with a bit of time. Cliff retiring sucks - but then it's not like Ac/Dc can't get a good bass player for hire.

It seems to me like Angus has one more cycle left in him. So I would guess - the next thing that happens is an Axl/DC record and tour. Then a year or two after that is over GNR puts out a classic hits with a new track or a short EP or something like that which allows for another GNR go-around but without having to do a comeback album.

Edited by Chunder Monkey

5 minutes ago, Chunder Monkey said:

I hope we eventually get both, however Axl/Dc seems more likely to happen first.

In terms of GNR we know Axl has at least 2 albums worth of material in the vault. However we also know a great deal of this material is stylistically different to classic GNR and even the modern incarnation of the band. It would only be a matter of days for Slash/Duff to overdub onto stuff like Silkworms and polish them up if they hadn't already done so. However, is that the direction the band would want to take this many years later? Is a slashed up Jackie Chan really what the band wants to put out next when half the people associated with it are gone?

Meanwhile, Axl has expressed that he doesn't really like being handed finished instrumental guitar pieces and asked to add the top line. This makes it difficult to work with Slash on new music unless it was to happen more organically like at soundcheck or hanging out after a show or at some stage where Slash has unfinished riffs in progress rather than complete structures. 

This leads me to think the next GNR release might be something like an EP or a Greatest Hits but with 2 new songs or something like that. 

It would allow for cherry picking the most slash-suitable songs from the vault to get an airing - without having to rework an entire industrial album, and it would be a way to get out any random new song the band actually happened to come up with recently, but without the pressure of making 12 of them and having it live up to the back catalogue etc. It would also give them a reason to do an entirely new tour cycle for as little work as possible :lol:

As for Ac/Dc. That seems easier. Angus has been writing lyrics for Brian for several albums now. This means Angus can deliver Axl with finished complete Ac/Dc songs to sing - thus avoiding whatever writers block haunts Axl - no need for him to be creative and add top line stuff unless he wants to.  Hell Axl even joked in an interview that he'd love to record with Ac/Dc and it would be really helpful if someone could write some good songs for him. This seems more like with Angel Down - no pressure to be creative and all fun - and given Axl's love of Angus you'd think he'd bring his A game.

The only catch with Ac/Dc is that Angus long term writing partner Malcom is out of the picture now. I gather Rock or Bust was already a collection of spare riffs and leftovers - so there's some question of "does he have enough ideas left?" - but he's Angus Young - i'm sure he can cobble together another 8-10 rock songs with a bit of time. Cliff retiring sucks - but then it's not like Ac/Dc can't get a good bass player for hire.

It seems to me like Angus has one more cycle left in him. So I would guess - the next thing that happens is an Axl/DC record and tour. Then a year or two after that is over GNR puts out a classic hits with a new track or a short EP or something like that which allows for another GNR go-around but without having to do a comeback album.

We definitely don't know if Axl has at least 2 albums worth of material in any "vault". He's not Prince.

I'm thinking it's a Buckethead riff, Silkworms and 3 drum rolls by whoever.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Axl doesn't release music. So neither are realistic.

So many thing have changed through the last two years. I think that he found something within AC/DC he didn't had since the Appetite days and he can't revive it within GN'R.

Edited by Sosso

13 minutes ago, Sosso said:

So many thing have changed through the last two years. I think that he found something within AC/DC he didn't had since the Appetite days and he can't revive it within GN'R.

What did he find?  That he can do an entire concert of covers?  Maybe deep inside he always wanted to front a cover band!  I guess he is enjoying singing the exact "cock rock" that he didn't want to record with Slash in the mid 90s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

What did he find?  That he can do an entire concert of covers?  Maybe deep inside he always wanted to front a cover band!  I guess he is enjoying singing the exact "cock rock" that he didn't want to record with Slash in the mid 90s.

I talked about chemistry and cooperation.

The 2002 line-up from GN'R had chemistry but no cooperation for example. Axl has both in AC/DC

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I talked about chemistry and cooperation.

The 2002 line-up from GN'R had chemistry but no cooperation for example. Axl has both in AC/DC

so much chemistry and cooperation that cliff williams needed to leave the band right when the tour finished -- and we all know he would leave earlier if he could

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

The thing Axl found was that when you let go of some of your power you regain your strengths. Him being an "employee" allowed himself to focus on the things that make him great. 

The only thing holding back gnr is Axl's self perceived and sometimes literal power over the band. He's fought so long to keep the thing alive that he has no idea what he's holding but is too afraid to let someone show him the potential. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

so much chemistry and cooperation that cliff williams needed to leave the band right when the tour finished -- and we all know he would leave earlier if he could

Cliff didn't leave for a lack of chemistry. He's been considering retirement for a while, since before Black Ice. On top of that Brian was always by far the member of AC/DC he was closest to, so I'm sure he felt a bit lost without him there. I genuinely do not believe he had any problems with this lineup, I just think it had all caught up with him finally. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LADoll77 said:

We definitely don't know if Axl has at least 2 albums worth of material in any "vault". He's not Prince.

I'm thinking it's a Buckethead riff, Silkworms and 3 drum rolls by whoever.

Hope I'm wrong.

If you go through the history of the Chinese Democracy saga - the years of wait - there's multiple anecdotes from all kinds of people - witnesses at parties, record industry people, people in the band, friends - they often describe listening to or hearing multiple albums worth of songs. Some people describe it as 2 or 3 albums, some of mentioned 40+ tracks, more moderate examples only talk of "two CDs of 10 songs" and similar things. 

Some of it is hyperbole, some of it is bullshit, some of it is mistakes.

But there's simply too many people for me to believe there's nothing. IF there's nothing - why does Ashba, Sebastian and half the industry who have been close to Axl talk about the music had that they can't talk him into releasing. There's definitely something. 

22 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Honestly, a GNR album. The momentum is too strong not to go forward. The NITL tour is the tenth highest grossing tour of all time. We haven't heard much on the AC/DC front in months.

That's usual for AC/DC between albums and tours since a couple of decades.

Realistic? Neither. Even if Axl has nailed with AC/DC, their fanbase would never accept a bitch like him on an album, so its something Angus might be considering before doin, its a tricky move. Dont forget most of the people who went to Axl/DC concerts, did so cause they had already bought the tickets and not because they wanted to see Axl over there. Just go to any AC/DC fanbase and you'll all see their opinion on Axl, even if he did great.

On a personal note, I love AC/DC and I honestly think its a waste of time for Axl, it'll just get him more negative criticism and we know he cant really handle it well.