The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

It seems a bit arbitrary, doesn't it? Or very human. To suddenly decide that, "nah, let's allow them back into paradise," after X number of years since Eve sinned. 

But of course, if you lived around AD 33 and you thought the end times were imminent, it seemed more plausible that it would be precluded by god sacrificing his son. Then it wasn't something god did at a specific time without any obvious reason, but a part of the end times process. So to people living back then it made more sense, and early christians were expecting something to happen imminent. Now, in hindsight, and seen through secular eyes, it all seems so man-made. A man-made myth about god opening up the gates of heaven before the apocalypse, created around AD 33 and making some sense, but less and less sense as years go by. 

Well, in hindsight 33 AD was probably selected for a very important reason. It was one generation before the Roman siege of Jerusalem in 70 AD, which laid waste to Jerusalem and destroyed the temple (thus ending that era of the Jewish religion). Jesus had the line about "do you see all of these great buildings? Not one stone here will be left on another, every one will be thrown down." To a Jew in the 1st century, it probably did seem like the end of the world.

23 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It seems a bit arbitrary

A bit arbitrary? That's an understatement. There were times (somewhat recent times) when there was not salvation for those who were not Catholic.

Jewish the 1st century seems like the end of the world? How about us in 2012? Remember that one? :lol:

The argument from this ignorant poster is based on utter fallacy as it assumes the New Testament completely eradicates the Old Testament, whereas in reality it was a confirmation of the Old Testament. The Old Testament certainly speaks on salvation and sin - there are sinners and righteous throughout the Old Testament, e.g., (Abraham) ''believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness” (Genesis 15:6, cf. Romans 4:1–5, 9–10, 16). These furthermore are confirmed in the New Testament (cf. 1 Peter 1:10–12). Further, Christ's coming was a confirmation of Old Testament prophecy of the Davidic 'Messiah' (cf. Daniel, Enoch). To summarise, 

Then He (Jesus) said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! Ought not the Christ to have suffered these things and to enter into His glory?” And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

Luke 24:25–27

11 hours ago, Padme said:

A bit arbitrary? That's an understatement. There were times (somewhat recent times) when there was not salvation for those who were not Catholic.

Jewish the 1st century seems like the end of the world? How about us in 2012? Remember that one? :lol:

I don't see how these two things are even remotely close. One event actually happened and was a mass slaughter and the most important religious building (the temple) was destroyed. 2012 came and went like a wet fart.

10 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I don't see how these two things are even remotely close. One event actually happened and was a mass slaughter and the most important religious building (the temple) was destroyed. 2012 came and went like a wet fart.

I wasn't talking about the temple being destroy. I was just talking about end of the world bullshit predictions that have been going on for ever. 

On 11/28/2020 at 9:55 AM, action said:

if there wasn't bad stuff on earth, there wouldn't be good stuff either.

good becomes good, when compared to the bad. Without the bad, there is no reference point.

In that case it would be better if nothing at all existed. Some of the bad stuff on earth is so horrific that no amount of good stuff can make it worth it.

I had a friend who said Heaven and Hell was on earth. Sometimes I think she was so right!

I can't imagine sitting on a cloud for eternity or suffering in fire? It seems unreal to me.

Sometimes having religions is a good thing, but then again, so many people use their beliefs to cause trouble.

I think if there is a powerful God, he should have made one kind of people and one religion. If he thinks eventually we will all get along and find peace, that's never going to happen.

God is the parent and we are his kids and you know how that goes! Some of us have no common sense or care about others. How sad is that?

• 7 months later...

My oldest daughter said she hoped she was going to become a christian because "they are so friendly" (she has a teacher who is openly christian and apparently is very nice); the other daughter talked about wanting to become a christian but she just didn't believe in god. 

7 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

How are you both reacting to this?

With amusement. 

They are not being raised religious but if they turn out to become religious than I assume they found something of value and that it is worth it for them. But they won't grow up to sort of mindless adopt a set of irrational beliefs because I pushed it on them. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

My oldest daughter said she hoped she was going to become a christian because "they are so friendly" (she has a teacher who is openly christian and apparently is very nice); the other daughter talked about wanting to become a christian but she just didn't believe in god. 

In the US we call those Episcopalians  :lol:

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2021 at 2:52 AM, EvanG said:

Officially I am still registered as a Catholic.

I think you have to send a letter to your local diocese or something if you want to leave the church.

But I am a very lazy person.

It’s harder than you think! Interviews with priests and bishops have to happen before you can get out of that shit!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Dazey said:

She's changed her mind thankfully. Panic over! :lol: 

So you don't believe in any religion? how old is your kid? 

I was raised Catholic as was my parents, but my mom always questioned the nuns and they never gave her good answers, so we aren't practicing Catholics. lol Anyway, I honestly can't see an all powerful being watching over us especially how fucked up our world is? Anyway, my brother teaches yoga and he does follow their beliefs. To each his own I say. It's hard sometimes to believe in someone waching over us and who made us? I can see in olden days, but honestly, to me the bible was clearing written by a man, so I don't trust it. lol

On 7/8/2021 at 2:01 PM, Powderfinger said:

It’s harder than you think! Interviews with priests and bishops have to happen before you can get out of that shit!

Why would you have to ask permission to leave the church? I just don't go to church and that's that. If you're a nun or a Priest you would have to ask, otherwise do what you want to do. We have free will.

53 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

So you don't believe in any religion? how old is your kid? 

I was raised Catholic as was my parents, but my mom always questioned the nuns and they never gave her good answers, so we aren't practicing Catholics. lol Anyway, I honestly can't see an all powerful being watching over us especially how fucked up our world is? Anyway, my brother teaches yoga and he does follow their beliefs. To each his own I say. It's hard sometimes to believe in someone waching over us and who made us? I can see in olden days, but honestly, to me the bible was clearing written by a man, so I don't trust it. lol

In terns of God look at it this way, if it weren’t for the fucked up shit that happens how would you know the difference between right and wrong?  I mean without wrong as a concept, how would right exist?  Perhaps God has to create fucked up shit so that you can have a right and make a choice between one and the other, otherwise everything’d be right, right?  And no one would know any better.