The Religion/Spirituality Thread

Ace Nova

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Why would you have to ask permission to leave the church? I just don't go to church and that's that. If you're a nun or a Priest you would have to ask, otherwise do what you want to do. We have free will.

You’re kinda right and kinda wrong. 

I haven’t been to church/mass in 25-30 years. But according to THEIR records, I’m still on the books and a member of the Catholic religion. 

To truly separate yourself from the Catholic church is a bit more involved than not going to to church.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Anyway, I honestly can't see an all powerful being watching over us especially how fucked up our world is? 

That's what is referred to as The Problem of Evil. How can a good god be responsible for so much evil? There is a simple answer to that conundrum: Either god is an asshole or truly incompetent, or there is no god. 

23 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

You’re kinda right and kinda wrong. 

I haven’t been to church/mass in 25-30 years. But according to THEIR records, I’m still on the books and a member of the Catholic religion. 

To truly separate yourself from the Catholic church is a bit more involved than not going to to church.

Wow I didn't know there were records of Catholics? They never told my mom this. She went to Catholic school for 7 years. Interesting. Honestly, who cares.  The church has gotten where all they care about is money. I don't think that's what Jesus would have wanted.

I do believe there was a man named Jesus and he tried to do good, but was crucified for it. I've always found that horrible.

13 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That's what is referred to as The Problem of Evil. How can a good god be responsible for so much evil? There is a simple answer to that conundrum: Either god is an asshole or truly incompetent, or there is no god. 

Or like a parent you can instill good in your kids, but sometimes they go wrong. I think life is one big joke and it's fucking with all of us.

people say we were born with free will, a gift from God, but sometimes having free will doesn't give you the right to fuck with other people or how we mess up our planet. lol I just don't know how this world or we were created. Maybe it's just science or some powerful being. but honestly, sometimes I wonder who's in charge and how did he/she let us get so out of hand?

41 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Or like a parent you can instill good in your kids, but sometimes they go wrong. I think life is one big joke and it's fucking with all of us.

people say we were born with free will, a gift from God, but sometimes having free will doesn't give you the right to fuck with other people or how we mess up our planet. lol I just don't know how this world or we were created. Maybe it's just science or some powerful being. but honestly, sometimes I wonder who's in charge and how did he/she let us get so out of hand?

Yeah, Free Will is often used by christians as a solution to the Problem of Evil, arguing that the evil comes from our free choice to do what we want which has been kindly given to us by god, but this fails to account for all the evil that isn't caused by humans like natural disasters, disease and dangerous animals. 

Besides, who says a good god couldn't have created us without Free Will yet endlessly happy? Happiness doesn't arise from our ability to choose our actions, but from how our brains interpret chemical signals. A good god could have created us without Free Will yet always experiencing a sensation similar to our biologically-derived feeling of joy. Because he is god. 

Lastly, there is little evidence we have Free Will and it seems to me to mostly be a concept we have created because the alternative seems too terrible or uncomfortable. Just like with god. And even if we do have a choice in our actions, this Free Will is endlessly curtailed by physical and psychological barriers resulting in our Free Will being substantially stifled. A good god could easily have limited our choices somewhat differently so that we were incapable of doing bad stuff yet could choose among thousands of good alternatives. Thus we would still have as much Free Will as today, yet the Problem of Evil would disappear. 

So there is no god. 

• Like 2

Well, my mom went to Catholic school from 1st to 7th grade when nuns taught the students. Most of them were bitches without any patience for the students and would sometimes make an example of you for the littest things. The Priests were worse too.

She hated going to there but back in the 1960's the Catholic schools were close to her home and not very expensive in tution. Her mom paid $5 a month and plus a uniform which helped not having to buy too many clothes. Back in those times those schools were ahead of the public schools in learning, but still the nuns were tough.

When the nuns would teach religion it was right from the bible. If you asked questions about anything they never gave you a straight answer and just said you had to believe. Well, by the 3rd grade my mom had had it with religion. lol

My family let you think for yourself and I was raised the same way. If you believe in a higher power great, but in the present world with all this shit going on, one would ask why must all this suffering go on. Why must some people suffer everyday of their lives? I don't want to wait until I'm dead to enjoy the after life. We should enjoy it now. 

I know there is good and evil in the world, why are some people like that who knows? I think some are born this way or maybe born into it or just not wired right? Was this God's play? Not sure. Since it's this way I guess it is. Maybe the temptation is part of living, but why are some people just outright evil and have no empathy? Are they born that way, I think some are. I know we can't all be happy and healthy all our lives, but sometimes I think we were born to suffer only to die and that's it. 

It would be amazing if when we all died we were with our love ones, but what would we do? Talk and hug and hang around somewhere for eternity? How would that work with the millions of dead? I do believe in one thing, I think this is our one life and when you die, that's it. sorry to say but I doubt I will be on a cloud or in hell for all eternity. If I'm wrong then okay.

but honestly since no one's come back from the dead nor does anyone have proof there is a God, I guess we'll all just believe or speculate for most of our lives.

Too many unanswered questions for me.

23 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, Free Will is often used by christians as a solution to the Problem of Evil, arguing that the evil comes from our free choice to do what we want which has been kindly given to us by god, but this fails to account for all the evil that isn't caused by humans like natural disasters, disease and dangerous animals. 

Besides, who says a good god couldn't have created us without Free Will yet endlessly happy? Happiness doesn't arise from our ability to choose our actions, but from how our brains interpret chemical signals. A good god could have created us without Free Will yet always experiencing a sensation similar to our biologically-derived feeling of joy. Because he is god. 

Lastly, there is little evidence we have Free Will and it seems to me to mostly be a concept we have created because the alternative seems too terrible or uncomfortable. Just like with god. And even if we do have a choice in our actions, this Free Will is endlessly curtailed by physical and psychological barriers resulting in our Free Will being substantially stifled. A good god could easily have limited our choices somewhat differently so that we were incapable of doing bad stuff yet could choose among thousands of good alternatives. Thus we would still have as much Free Will as today, yet the Problem of Evil would disappear. 

So there is no god. 

Yeah, I totally understand. I think whoever created us we were made with many flaws and the joke is on us.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, action said:

every word scientists say is true. then you start comparing their words to other statements, and the contradictions are rife, with other scientists but also with themselves

He says to a global audience from a wireless device or computer…

• 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Pretty sure God is fed up with the lot of you.  I mean...wouldn't you be?

"I gave you a perfectly sustainable eco system...and you all managed to fuck it all up within a hundred years."

Just sayin'.

pretty sure god doesn't exist so it's all good, we can do whatever we want. Shame about the eco system though.

On 5/22/2022 at 3:54 AM, Rovim said:

pretty sure god doesn't exist so it's all good, we can do whatever we want. Shame about the eco system though.

Maybe.  And obviously we can do what we want.  While we are alive…anyway.

Not so sure that goes afterwards.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, Ace Nova said:

Pretty sure God is fed up with the lot of you.  I mean...wouldn't you be?

"I gave you a perfectly sustainable eco system...and you all managed to fuck it all up within a hundred years."

Just sayin'.

I don't know. Dinosaurs  came and went millions of years ago.  We are not to blame.  There was some kind of eco system back then.

There is change and evolution. Hey! We are not helping with our behaviour. I give you that. Sorry if God is pissed off. If there is such thing as God

the material world is an imperfect mirror image of the spiritual afterlife

the body and the ability to think (as a result of physical processes in the brain) are an imperfect part of this world, which acts as a temporary vessel / prison of the soul. the soul is immortal, the body isn't. When we die, the body stays here, rots away, and the soul moves on.

so a human is made of three parts: 

- imperfect body

- imperfect mind

- divine soul

the soul is divine, it is inherently good. Even hitler's soul. When humans do bad, it is not because of their soul, it is because of temptations, physical errors in the brain / mind, and other external / material influences.

Without a soul, you end up with mere matter. Matter can not live in and of itself, it is dead. Your bike doesn't live. Your house doesn't live. Because it is mere matter, it doesn not contain a soul. An advanced AI computer has a mind, it can think and self learn, but it does not have a soul.

why is there bad in the world?

because the world is imperfect, it is created by a lesser deity. there is one super-god which did not create earth. One of his lesser helpers wanted to act like god, and created earth. This may, or may not have been done with the consent of that super god.

there is a purpose to the evil and tribulations: it shapes, forms the soul. The soul is prepared, for it's destiny in the afterlife, as part of the super-god

Edited by action
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, action said:

the material world is an imperfect mirror image of the spiritual afterlife

the body and the ability to think (as a result of physical processes in the brain) are an imperfect part of this world, which acts as a temporary vessel / prison of the soul. the soul is immortal, the body isn't. When we die, the body stays here, rots away, and the soul moves on.

so a human is made of three parts: 

- imperfect body

- imperfect mind

- divine soul

the soul is divine, it is inherently good. Even hitler's soul. When humans do bad, it is not because of their soul, it is because of temptations, physical errors in the brain / mind, and other external / material influences.

Without a soul, you end up with mere matter. Matter can not live in and of itself, it is dead. Your bike doesn't live. Your house doesn't live. Because it is mere matter, it doesn not contain a soul. An advanced AI computer has a mind, it can think and self learn, but it does not have a soul.

why is there bad in the world?

because the world is imperfect, it is created by a lesser deity. there is one super-god which did not create earth. One of his lesser helpers wanted to act like god, and created earth. This may, or may not have been done with the consent of that super god.

there is a purpose to the evil and tribulations: it shapes, forms the soul. The soul is prepared, for it's destiny in the afterlife, as part of the super-god

Those must be some dope drugs you have. Where'd you get them?

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Those must be some dope drugs you have. Where'd you get them?

Why do you keep picking silly arguments with people on here? Do you really have nothing better to do with your time?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Why do you keep picking silly arguments with people on here? Do you really have nothing better to do with your time?

I agree, it’s very unnecessary. 
@Stay.Of.Execution you are becoming really unpleasant.  There’s no need to be derisive of everyone who doesn’t share your entire outlook on life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

I have nothing but love and respect for the people behind organizations such as SNAP. As well as the people who made this excellent documentary, in which they very eloquently and concisely shine a light on the Catholic Church/Vatican - and undeniably prove that Pope Francis is a lying piece of shit. They prove that he lied about trying to shelter a pedo priest in the town he comes from, before he became Pope - and then they film him in front of the Vatican lying about it again.

Catholicism is a warped demented cult for pedos and/or feeble deluded minds. It should have no form of authority or privelage whatsoever. It is an organization and belief system not worthy of respect and that's being polite.

I agree of course, but you need to understand that the catholic church is getting too much attention, and it diverts focus from what really matters.

It is the catholic church, which, within 100 years of jesus dying, has twisted and censored his true words.

obviously, they could not fully erase his character as he was obviously very inspirational and famous while he was still alive. That's the reason that "some" of jesus's real teachings are still featuring in the bible.

the bible, in essence, is a church-made compilation of unrelated historical texts, cherry picked and altered to support the view of the church. A whole lot of other texts focusing more on jesus's quotes, were kept out of the bible.

And so, what we're left with, is an unintelligible and meaningless message. 

The old testament makes up for the largest portion of the bible. But the old testament, is the work of evil. It features an evil god, demanding blood sacrifices. Jesus was basically pointing out that the old testament, god, the concept of the "chosen" people and moses, was all just a load of bollox made up to keep people sleeping.

The message of the church is, that you can only reach god through them, the church. Jesus said, no this is incorrect, you will reach god from within yourself, he said don't lie and go through life as a honest and just person.

it is a pity, that jesus' teachings have become synonymous with an evil organisation like the church. it is what evil wanted to achieve, to keep us from the right track. 

Edited by action