To burn past your feelings
That cause you to suffer

You're starting to bleed
They don't discover
Before its too late
What will you offer
In way of healing
I'm so confused, abused, misused"

by how many times he used absolutistic words, i can tell you that he was really depressed by the time he wrote that.
Depressive people tend to use absolute words (Never, always, completely, etc) 
maybe it hence the "ABSURD" chorus in silkworms...

Never thought about the song this way before. I personally don't think that's what it's about but yeah it does kinda line up. 

Axl was raped when he was a child...so, maybe OMG and The General are about this.

But I'm yet to understand the general. Sounds like madagascar, pink floyd-like in the beginning, and then change to a slow "doom metal" thing.
maybe mixed emotions or so. 

6 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

OMG is about Child abuse?

OMG is about AFD

"To bury it deeper where nobody can find it"

“I just want to bury Appetite. I don’t want to live my life through that one album. I have to bury it, and do something new.” – Axl Rose

• Haha 2

OMG was released in 1999 and Axl talks about a song on the new album in 2001 so cant be that.

i'm sure he was referring to the General when he mentioned "a song about child abuse"

iirc the General was once called the Colonel, either title makes it sound more like a Civil war type song than child abuse though.

2 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

The reason why I thought it was Oh My God is because the lyrics match up.

If you ran the process of elimination on the early songs, Oh My God was the only one left.

We didn't hear about The General until 2002 so many thought it was a later addition.

Nope. No evidence for this.

hope you dont mind me picking at your distant knowledge but i wasn't using online forums in 2002 so missed all that. can you remember how the public first heard about a song titled the General ? it wasn't leaked so maybe Axl first mentioned it in an interview or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

No worries. 

The earliest we heard about The General is from Marco Beltrami in September 2003.

We know about Seven, The General, Leave Me Alone (aka Soul Monster), and Thyme because of him.

He worked on the album in mid-2002 and it was supposed to come out Fall 2002 (after the VMAs).

oh yes i have read up on that but i think he said he only got instrumentals to work with, no lyrics.

i have read old posts on this forum where people think Thyme is TWAT. 

On 02/08/2018 at 6:40 PM, evader said:

Mods, could one of you please delete any links to my horrible, offensive, amateurish effort that nobody reading this right now should ever have heard? Thanks.

Man, don't be so hard on yourself. The fanbase really do appreciate the work that you've done. I remember the first time I heard your Silkworms remix, it blew my fuckin' mind. Not to mention your clean ups of stuff like It Tastes Good etc. :headbang:

Edit: Those Aaliyah and Rihanna mashups were awesome too. And the 2Pac ones... And Dark Train... you get the picture lol

Edited by Azifwekare

10 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I have heard that before.

I've also heard that Seven is The Blues (seven letters) and because that is also supposedly a ballad.

Who knows.

Seven was named that because 7 musicians played on it i think. or at least thats the rumour. 

17 minutes ago, donny said:

oh yes i have read up on that but i think he said he only got instrumentals to work with, no lyrics.

I remember some old blogpost (i think - does anyone else remember this?) where some guy supposedly heard an early version of CD in which Thyme was an interlude that segued into TWAT. There was also (allegedly) a short song called Reprise that segued into Chinese Democracy, as in the intro to CD was actually the ending of Reprise. 

Although, I'm pretty sure now that it was just a load of old bollocks.

23 hours ago, donny said:

I think it is too. There Was a Time = There + Time = Thyme,  maybe Thyme was a joke working title. 

or maybe, it's about a Plant, it's a plant of the Beta:

thyme
tʌɪm/
noun

1. a low-growing aromatic plant of the mint family. The small leaves are used as a culinary herb and the plant yields a medicinal oil. :rofl-lol:
Edited by Propaganda

12 hours ago, Propaganda said:

I think it is too. There Was a Time = There + Time = Thyme,  maybe Thyme was a joke working title. 

or maybe, it's about a Plant, it's a plant of the Beta:

thyme
tʌɪm/
noun

1. a low-growing aromatic plant of the mint family. The small leaves are used as a culinary herb and the plant yields a medicinal oil. :rofl-lol:

No

Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged,  Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Leave Me Alone, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song , Zodiac Most all titles subject to change w/out warning and r considered working titles. (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008)

1 hour ago, Finck2006 said:

No

Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged,  Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Leave Me Alone, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song , Zodiac Most all titles subject to change w/out warning and r considered working titles. (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008)

No what?

5 minutes ago, Finck2006 said:

People saying thyme is there was a time

obviously TWAT was leaked in early 2006 and later released at the album in late 2008. and still after that in December 2008, Axl is talking about Thyme as a working title. so probably that proves it was a different song.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zombux said:

obviously TWAT was leaked in early 2006 and later released at the album in late 2008. and still after that in December 2008, Axl is talking about Thyme as a working title. so probably that proves it was a different song.

Thats the point I tried to explain

On 8/4/2018 at 12:12 AM, donny said:

Seven was named that because 7 musicians played on it i think. or at least thats the rumour. 

Source? Have been on this board for many years and never heard this one before so would be cool to understand where that came from.

7 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Source? Have been on this board for many years and never heard this one before so would be cool to understand where that came from.

I have heard that from a guy called King Offspring / Mircov, he said the same thing years ago. Every musician in the band participated whether it was writting the lyrics or playing in the song. With that said, it's obviously very vague, but...

I'm not sure of this but I think he also said Seven was an acoustic song.

Edited by Propaganda