Axl Rose on Looney Tunes episode w/new song

12 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I would counter that this is no different than being excited to hear Axl on Angel Down.  

Yes, I am a massive GnR mark, but that does not preclude me from being a massive Axl Rose mark.  These are not mutually exclusive things.  Axl is my favorite singer of all time, I would be willing to wager he is for a great many people on these forums.  There is no magic wand waved that makes me dislike his voice if it is not singing something he wrote with Slash.

This is a new, crystal clear studio track with my favorite vocal artist of all time.  Starved or not, I would dig this.

Angel Down was a real project by a real band. By that I mean, it was music made for sake of making music, not to accompany a scripted animation. Axl sounds GREAT on Angel Down and pretty good on Rock the Rock. I like them both and I'm glad he did them, but I can see each project for what they are. 

I would prefer Axl continued to do guest spots on his friends' albums rather than a random Looney Tunes appearance. 

I may have not explained my initial post well, but I wasn't implying people should dislike Rock the Rock because it wasn't written by Slash or GNR. My point was Axl did pretty much the same thing Slash did (appear on a children's program), but the community's reaction to each was very different, without a good reason other than "I like Axl's voice and I haven't heard it in a while."

Slash was derided for being a sellout (even though the Phineas and Ferb thing was about his kids) and the song not being good. The music to Rock to Rock pretty much sounds like the producer for the soundtrack said to the session band, "okay, write exactly what you think a typical hard rock song sounds like." I'm glad people are enjoying it, but other than Axl's voice it's just a 2 minute session song that most people probably wouldn't notice or take any significant liking toward. Slash actually sat down to write a full song for his soundtrack appearance. Obviously, Axl is a singer so he's probably not usually writing the music and arrangement to the tracks he's on, but I'm not faulting him for that. 

I agree, starved or not I'm sure people would dig this. But if GNR was putting out original music and being an active band other than touring a near identical set-list for 2 years, I'm skeptical a Looney Tunes appearance would generate 32 pages worth of discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lol theres no reason to be negative about this, its a good thing he recorded a song again, even if its not a GNR song it is a song and he is killing on it.  I bet he's just testing waters, seeing peoples reactions to his voice... maybe he did this to shut up the haters who says he cant sing anymore.

Theres rumours that say Axl was really hurt with all the negative response to CD among other things. Seeing how good the response for this is, it may only bring good things. Its good for the self steem of a harmed man. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

Angel Down was a real project by a real band. By that I mean, it was music made for sake of making music, not to accompany a scripted animation. Axl sounds GREAT on Angel Down and pretty good on Rock the Rock. I like them both and I'm glad he did them, but I can see each project for what they are. 

I would prefer Axl continued to do guest spots on his friends' albums rather than a random Looney Tunes appearance. 

I may have not explained my initial post well, but I wasn't implying people should dislike Rock the Rock because it wasn't written by Slash or GNR. My point was Axl did pretty much the same thing Slash did (appear on a children's program), but the community's reaction to each was very different, without a good reason other than "I like Axl's voice and I haven't heard it in a while."

Slash was derided for being a sellout (even though the Phineas and Ferb thing was about his kids) and the song not being good. The music to Rock to Rock pretty much sounds like the producer for the soundtrack said to the session band, "okay, write exactly what you think a typical hard rock song sounds like." I'm glad people are enjoying it, but other than Axl's voice it's just a 2 minute session song that most people probably wouldn't notice or take any significant liking toward. Slash actually sat down to write a full song for his soundtrack appearance. Obviously, Axl is a singer so he's probably not usually writing the music and arrangement to the tracks he's on, but I'm not faulting him for that. 

I agree, starved or not I'm sure people would dig this. But if GNR was putting out original music and being an active band other than touring a near identical set-list for 2 years, I'm skeptical a Looney Tunes appearance would generate 32 pages worth of discussion. 

Yeah, I've always hated that sellout argument from fans, totally bogus.  It's like Jason Newsted said when he was with Metallica "yeah, we're sellouts, we sellout every place we play."

• Like 1

A couple of things that I find strange about the community reaction to this song.

1. "It's just a throwaway."  There are a lot of vocal layers to this song.  This is not a like a "here are some lyrics, sign 'em and here is money." Deal.  At the very least Axl was really into it.  He put some effort into this.  

1a. "It's just a throwaway."  How the hell am I the only person who can see this being a track AC/DC would release on an album?   Ffs, Half the songs on "Rock or Bust" have "ROCK THE" in the song title.  20% of their entire Brian Johnson era catalogue has the word "ROCK" in the song title.   Is it that out of the real of possibility that this is Axl/DC related in some way?

2. How is anyone surprised that a previously unreleased studio recording of one of the most powerful and beloved voices in rock history is generating buzz in the fan base?  We jizzed ourselves over a 30 year old B-side 6 months ago, because it was a version we hadn't heard before.

I'm not mad, sorry if I sound like I'm raging, I am just perplexed.  This just seems so odd to me.  The only thing I can think of is that people are so used to getting shit on by GnR that we're talking it down in order to lower our own expectations.

24 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

A couple of things that I find strange about the community reaction to this song.

1. "It's just a throwaway."  There are a lot of vocal layers to this song.  This is not a like a "here are some lyrics, sign 'em and here is money." Deal.  At the very least Axl was really into it.  He put some effort into this.  

1a. "It's just a throwaway."  How the hell am I the only person who can see this being a track AC/DC would release on an album?   Ffs, Half the songs on "Rock or Bust" have "ROCK THE" in the song title.  20% of their entire Brian Johnson era catalogue has the word "ROCK" in the song title.   Is it that out of the real of possibility that this is Axl/DC related in some way?

2. How is anyone surprised that a previously unreleased studio recording of one of the most powerful and beloved voices in rock history is generating buzz in the fan base?  We jizzed ourselves over a 30 year old B-side 6 months ago, because it was a version we hadn't heard before.

I'm not mad, sorry if I sound like I'm raging, I am just perplexed.  This just seems so odd to me.  The only thing I can think of is that people are so used to getting shit on by GnR that we're talking it down in order to lower our own expectations.

1 - I agree. It also shows Axl has enough time and drive to get in the studio, record multiple layers of a song, and have it mixed for release.

1a - I disagree. Clearly, Rock the Rock is a generic rock song which sounds similar to AC/DC. Why? Because AC/DC is generic rock. Rock the Rock was written by two song-writers affiliated with the show, with Axl lending his vocals. That indicates that this is, 100%, not affiliated with Guns N' Roses or AC/DC

2 - I don't think most are surprised about the buzz it is generating. There are a few people who kill the mood, but it is their prerogative as to whether they like it or not.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

I was convinced this was an Axl/DC track, until we found out it was written by the show's music guys.

Unless AC/DC are half-assing things so much nowadays that they are outsourcing the writing to children's TV shows (which, considering the initial reaction here, no one would be able to tell the difference).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeadSlash said:

It's Axl. What do you expect? He'll tinker any studio recording of him singing. He's also a fan on Looney Tunes, so it's not surprising that he put some effort into it. He's not doing it because he needs the money. It was just a fun project that he wanted to be involved with. He does sound good, but then again he always sounds good when he sings in his AC/DC voice, so recording this whole thing might have taken him an hour or so. The song itself is nothing special, so I definitely understand why people call it a throwaway. But it's a true testament to Axl's voice that he made even this song sound pretty cool.

I understand what you mean, but that's because a lot of AC/DC songs honestly are throwaway songs. Especially  the newer material. A lot of AC/DC songs are super generic rock songs, so it's not that difficult to write something similar. I think that the whole point of this Looney Tunes song was to to make an AC/DC parody song and they did pretty good. But if Axl would actually release a song with AC/DC, I'm sure that they would put more effort into the song. Axl would most likely want to do something similar to the Bon Scott era material, instead of making a parody of the most generic Brian era songs. So yeah. This is an enjoyable AC/DC parody song, but that's all that it is.

Nobody should be surprised about this. We've waited for new studio material from Axl forever, so of course we're excited to finally hear it, even if it is just a cartoon song. Axl does sound good and it might be the closest thing we'll ever get to hearing what studio Axl/DC could have sounded like. So I definitely agree on this part. Nobody should be surprised about this.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

where did you read that?

According to this article. The song was not written by Axl nor by Angus. One of the song writers has been writing music for Comedy Central and Looney Tunes for a while. I guess Axl was asked to participate. And he was willing to add his voice

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/axl-rose-releases-official-video-for-first-new-song-in-10-years-rock-the-rock/