No More Links to Unofficial or Unlicensed Content :(

downzy

Due to numerous DMCA complaints directed towards this forum's service host provider, we are no longer allowing any links whatsoever to content this is shared, posted, or distributed by unlicensed or unofficial sources.  

It's a sad day and we hate that it comes to this, but thanks to the sad and pathetic efforts of some even sadder and more pathetic individual(s), the ability of this forum to remain online requires us to remove any links to content that is produced, shared, or distributed by individuals or sources that do not have a license or authority to post said material.  

We apologize that it has come to this but it's the world we now live in unfortunately.  

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation of this matter going forward.

• Sad 22

On 25-11-2019 at 10:31 PM, downzy said:

numerous DMCA complaints directed towards this forum's service host provider

75% Warchild alt's 

10% Walker

15% TB themselves

Just guessing..... Without pointing a finger at Downzy or anything, this is just absolutely pathetic. There are some petty as fuck bitter people in the world of GnR. Some even manage the band. 

Edited by username

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, our host provider was hit with another copyright complaint.

Going forward, anyone posting YouTube links to content not owned by the rights holder will receive an immediate ban from the forum.  

There's not much we can do here if we want to keep the lights on.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Sad 5

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2019 at 10:31 PM, downzy said:

Due to numerous DMCA complaints directed towards this forum's service host provider, we are no longer allowing any links whatsoever to content this is shared, posted, or distributed by unlicensed or unofficial sources.  

It's a sad day and we hate that it comes to this, but thanks to the sad and pathetic efforts of some even sadder and more pathetic individual(s), the ability of this forum to remain online requires us to remove any links to content that is produced, shared, or distributed by individuals or sources that do not have a license or authority to post said material.  

We apologize that it has come to this but it's the world we now live in unfortunately.  

I'd like to come back to this issue, because something is not clear to me in regards to "official videos".

If I understand this right, this would mean it also isn't allowed, for forum users, to post links to official videos? Because a forum user himself, has no right to share links to official videos. Forum users are not licensed in any way or form, so why should they have the right to post links to official videos?

so GNR themselves have the right to post their videos on youtube: they have the license to do so. that's the only reason official videos are still up, on the official channel.

I'm not too sure that I have the right to share links to official videos... Certainly I don't have the license to do so.

I posted two official videos earlier from the artists' respective channels, but I think I'm going to remove them since I don't own a license to share official videos.

Edited by action

1 hour ago, action said:

I'd like to come back to this issue, because something is not clear to me in regards to "official videos".

If I understand this right, this would mean it also isn't allowed, for forum users, to post links to official videos? Because a forum user himself, has no right to share links to official videos. Forum users are not licensed in any way or form, so why should they have the right to post links to official videos?

so GNR themselves have the right to post their videos on youtube: they have the license to do so. that's the only reason official videos are still up, on the official channel.

I'm not too sure that I have the right to share links to official videos... Certainly I don't have the license to do so.

I posted two official videos earlier from the artists' respective channels, but I think I'm going to remove them since I don't own a license to share official videos.

Licence to Other Users [source]

You also grant each other user of the Service a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to access your Content through the Service, and to use that Content (including to reproduce, distribute, modify, display, and perform it) only as enabled by a feature of the Service.

A share button is a feature of the service, and they provide you with a link to copy, so afaik it's totally legal to share youtube videos.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

Licence to Other Users [source]

You also grant each other user of the Service a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to access your Content through the Service, and to use that Content (including to reproduce, distribute, modify, display, and perform it) only as enabled by a feature of the Service.

A share button is a feature of the service, and they provide you with a link to copy, so afaik it's totally legal to share youtube videos.

that says:

"through the service" and "a feature of the service"

as for the share button, there is no share button for "mygnrforum". There are buttons for facebook, reddit, twitter etc (perhaps because these companies have an agreement with youtube?). Not for mygnrforum. I can obtain a link if I hit the reddit share button. But that link was provided to me, by youtube, for correct use with the reddit button, and nothing else. I need to manually copy a link I obtained through use of the reddit share button, then use a feature of the mygnrforum to play the video. If this board is able to play a youtube video, it is not through a feature of youtube, but through a feature of mygnrforum.

the youtube terms also say:

"The following restrictions apply to your use of the Service. You are not allowed to:

1. access, reproduce, download, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, alter, modify or otherwise use any part of the Service or any Content except: (a) as specifically permitted by the Service;  (b) with prior written permission from YouTube and, if applicable, the respective rights holders; or (c) as permitted by applicable law;"          

this would imply that I dont have the right to "broadcast / display" official videos on other websites.

Edited by action

16 minutes ago, action said:

that says:

"through the service" and "a feature of the service"

as for the share button, there is no share button for "mygnrforum". There are buttons for facebook, reddit, twitter etc (perhaps because these companies have an agreement with youtube?). Not for mygnrforum. I can obtain a link if I hit the reddit share button. But that link was provided to me, by youtube, for correct use with the reddit button, and nothing else. I need to manually copy a link I obtained through use of the reddit share button, then use a feature of the mygnrforum to play the video. If this board is able to play a youtube video, it is not through a feature of youtube, but through a feature of mygnrforum.

the youtube terms also say:

"The following restrictions apply to your use of the Service. You are not allowed to:

1. access, reproduce, download, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, alter, modify or otherwise use any part of the Service or any Content except: (a) as specifically permitted by the Service;  (b) with prior written permission from YouTube and, if applicable, the respective rights holders; or (c) as permitted by applicable law;"          

this would imply that I dont have the right to "broadcast / display" official videos on other websites.

tRLWndB.png

I have not clicked a reddit button. You're using a youtube feature to share the video; you're not downloading it and uploading it somewhere else. The link you post is a direct link to youtube, which is legal to share. You're not uploading a video to this forum.

If you think otherwise, then you should stop linking this content. I will continue though, as I see no legal issues with it.

Edit: It also seems, because the embed button is there, that GNR is allowing you to embed videos on other web sites. This is something you can turn off when you upload afaik.

Edited by ArthurMorgan

10 minutes ago, ArthurMorgan said:

tRLWndB.png

I have not clicked a reddit button. You're using a youtube feature to share the video; you're not downloading it and uploading it somewhere else. The link you post is a direct link to youtube, which is legal to share. You're not uploading a video to this forum.

If you think otherwise, then you should stop linking this content. I will continue though, as I see no legal issues with it.

Edit: It also seems, because the embed button is there, that GNR is allowing you to embed videos on other web sites. This is something you can turn off when you upload afaik.

if it's fine by admin, it's fine by me.

I posed the question, because I read this statement from admin earlier, in the marc canter videos thread:

"Please do not post YouTube links to this forum in which the music rights is not owned by the person making the post."

who does admin mean with "the person making the post"? there isn't a single poster on this board who owns the music rights.

Edited by action

4 minutes ago, action said:

if it's fine by admin, it's fine by me.

I posed the question, because I read this statement from admin earlier, in the marc canter videos thread:

"Please do not post YouTube links to this forum in which the music rights is not owned by the person making the post."

who does admin mean with "the person making the post"?

I have no idea what that was about, but I'd guess it's that Canter doesn't own the rights to the music in the video. The word "post" is what is confusing at the end there.:slash:

To me, "any links whatsoever to content this is shared, posted, or distributed by unlicensed or unofficial sources" doesn't say that I can't insert yt links from official channels. So, I could go ahead and post a SCOM video from GNR's channel. At least that's how I understand it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

To me, "any links whatsoever to content this is shared, posted, or distributed by unlicensed or unofficial sources" doesn't say that I can't insert yt links from official channels. So, I could go ahead and post a SCOM video from GNR's channel. At least that's how I understand it. 

And you would be correct.

So long as the party posting the content to YouTube or other content sharing platforms with respect to publishing or recording rights, members here can provide direct links to that content here. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 11/25/2019 at 9:31 PM, downzy said:

I appreciate this is out of date but a quick bit of clarification, Is this only relating to Guns directly? Can we post links to videos of say Slash preformances in 2010? or even other bands in My world

3 hours ago, ssiscool said:

I appreciate this is out of date but a quick bit of clarification, Is this only relating to Guns directly? Can we post links to videos of say Slash preformances in 2010? or even other bands in My world

Nothing but content posted by the copyright holder unfortunately.

We wish it wasn’t so but sadly there exists degenerate assholes who watch this forum like a hawk hoping they can report any such infractions to our host provider in the hopes it gets us shut down.  If it were up to us we’d let people post any and all YouTube links and let YouTube deal with copyright complaints, but that’s no longer an option. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2022 at 5:33 PM, alfierose said:

Bumping for newcomers

It seems like UMG has reversed their stance on videos, they still flag them for copyright but instead of taking them down they're monetizing them (like they should've been doing all along).

@FRANSAD could probably provide some more info.

Will the forum ease the policy on posting youtube videos?

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It seems like UMG has reversed their stance on videos, they still flag them for copyright but instead of taking them down they're monetizing them (like they should've been doing all along).

That's up to @downzy. I expect we would want to monitor the situation for a while or get more info before any decision was taken. Positive news though.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yes as I noticed there's been a lot of gnr videos lately, and their not getting killed. So I tried to upload one and this is what it said!!

296628507_439133801484226_61590121726040

Back in the day we were allowed to post but they would monetize all my vids, but when Saskatoon happened they changed it and would strike you for it. But now it seems they are back to allowing it and monetizing again!!!!

Over the last couple of years i have been posting GNR vids but they would always lead to a strike, which i always sat out and tried uploading again.

So i have been uploading videos for few days now even Saskatoon and more "hot for Copyright "videos" and they all got approval from multiple content right holders.
Offcourse this ain't no guarantee but it looks promising. It would be great news for the fans!!!!

So let's see what happens. and if they stay up!!

Edit: Oops I accidentally posted a link here to a video, which is weird that it's not allowed anyways. This is the only place where people can't post links of anything which is a ridiculous restriction anyways. Tis is demanded by the company

that hosts this page and something insane like that would me change provider the next day!!!!

Edit 2: I think it's about time i change the GIF in my footer

Edited by FRANSAD
  • Like 2