The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

There’s no way they’ll record a new album without Dizzy and Melissa so a back to roots record will probably never happen. It would be nice tho but I’m fully expecting a new record to include old Chinese songs though hopefully re-recorded from the ground up and not using 20 year old vocal tracks. But even more realistic than that I’m fully expecting nothing at all

18 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

There’s no way they’ll record a new album without Dizzy and Melissa so a back to roots record will probably never happen. It would be nice tho but I’m fully expecting a new record to include old Chinese songs though hopefully re-recorded from the ground up and not using 20 year old vocal tracks. But even more realistic than that I’m fully expecting nothing at all

I mostly agree with you. If they ever do release a full album I would expect a mix of old and some newly created songs.

12 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

100% yes. Fully agree. People advocating a spliced drum track from 1997 and 2006, a vocal track from 2002, with newly recorded guitar and bass parts mixed with guitar parts recorded in 1998, 2001, 2005 and 2010 are off their bloody heads!

Is anyone actually advocating that? It is certainly possible for the current band to re-record songs from the CD years.

4 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

If they ever decide to release a new album, it should be a back to the roots, straight-forward rock album. No quantized drums, or endless layers of keyboards, vocals and guitars. And make sure the guitars are alive, not processed or copy and pasted in a loop.

Yup

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Is anyone actually advocating that? It is certainly possible for the current band to re-record songs from the CD years.

Yeah, people have said here they'd want at least some Bucket etc. stuff left intact and released on the new record. Not my opinion though. 

57 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, people have said here they'd want at least some Bucket etc. stuff left intact and released on the new record. Not my opinion though. 

I would definitely prefer that the songs are left as they are without more meddling with them. 

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I would definitely prefer that the songs are left as they are without more meddling with them. 

But they will have already been meddled over many years by many players. 

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Me too. The existing recordings shouldn't be meddled with. If the respective songs are to be present on the album, they need to be completely revamped anew. :P:D

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Is the current lineup even capable to making an entirely new album? Instrumentally, of course. But creatively, one wonders. Frank's parts on the 2008 album were ok, I thought, but Brain was on a large bulk of the record so that didn't hurt. It would be nice if they could get Josh or Matt to record for them in the studio again, maybe have Steve play on a few fitting tracks too. As for Josh, mostly because it would be hilarious for Josh to re-record Brain parts that were re-recorded from 20 year old Josh tracks. :D

As much as it would be great to have an actual new album, comprised of all new material by the 2016-Present band, I'd say at best we may get one or two new songs from them on an eventual new album, with the rest being re-re-recorded CD era songs. 

If it was up to me, I'd say hold on to the 2.5-3 albums worth of CD era material for the 2028 20 year edition, with the three covers of CD1-3 being the boring bike, the cool red hand, and awesome grenade covers. They can have a super deluxe edition with a flash drive containing all of the various unfinished songs, remix album, bonus tracks, pre-bucket song versions, bucket songs, and the shit DJ and Bumble did.

Josh, Brain, Matt, Steven... all people who have not been in the band for at least 15 years or more. Think we can safely say they won't be on any album!

Edited by 19AT5

Here’s a million dollar question: has anyone of you ever heard of a massively successful rock band that would release a new album the content of which would partially consist of songs written and recorded over two decades ago, by people who are long gone (some of them for over 15 years) and despite of the fact that the original members have recently returned to the band, with these members being the ones who created the biggest, immortal hits that made the band worldwide famous in the first place? 
I surely haven’t. Have some perspective please. 

Would I want to hear CD 2 or whatever from that era? Of course. But would I want that stuff on the new record in a pretty much intact form? Hell no. 
This is about the original (...) band, about Slash + Duff being back, about renewed friendship/partnership, about a statement that needs to be made, saying "we still got it". Etc. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

If they ever decide to release a new album, it should be a back to the roots, straight-forward rock album. No quantized drums, or endless layers of keyboards, vocals and guitars. And make sure the guitars are alive, not processed or copy and pasted in a loop.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the over-the-top arrangements from the CD era. It's just that they should be back with something to prove now - that they are still capable of making fun music. And if it's not good, fuck it, work harder on the next one or try the experimental shit again. 

I know, I know. I'm not new here. Just an old man yelling at the clouds, I guess.

I agree with what you said specifically about the word "fun" and it puts into words exactly what I feel like Axl and nuGNR lost without the rest of the dudes.  When you hear Don't Damn Me, or My Michelle, or Brownstone, it just sounds like a band vibing and having a blast rocking the hell out.  I wish we could have even a tiny bit of that energy

I like Chinese Democracy, but "fun" is not a descriptor I would ever use for it, which is a shame because "fun" is the descriptor that made me fall in love with this band's music to begin with.  Give us some killer fun, bluesy rock tunes with blistering Slash leads and cool Axl moments on top and I will be a happy fan

• Like 3

What kind of funny cigarettes some of you people are smoking thinking Axl will ever release anything in the vault from the CD era featuring those guitar parts. 

If he had any confidence in any of those we wouldn't be complaining of how long it's been since the last record. He probably realized what kind of genre he got himself into and wanted out of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Here’s a million dollar question: has anyone of you ever heard of a massively successful rock band that would release a new album the content of which would partially consist of songs written and recorded over two decades ago, by people who are long gone (some of them for over 15 years) and despite of the fact that the original members have recently returned to the band, with these members being the ones who created the biggest, immortal hits that made the band worldwide famous in the first place? 

Would I want to hear CD 2 or whatever from that era? Of course. But would I want that stuff on the new record in a pretty much intact form? Hell no. 
This is about the original (...) band, about Slash + Duff being back, about renewed friendship/partnership, about a statement that needs to be made, saying "we still got it". Etc. 

The closest/best/only example I can think of is Van Halens ‘A Different Kind Of Truth’…..which was well received!  But that’s literally the only comparison I can find. 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Queensryche (not massively successful, but still a big band) had old material that they combed through for their last few albums, the fans seemed to dig it. Megadeth combed through their vault during the the Dystopia sessions and their fans and critics loved it. I'd say it's a fairly common thing but a lot of bands don't get asked about it and they don't really bring it up because there's a stigma attached like "oh... so you can't write good songs anymore?? you have to use old stuff", which is BS. End of the day, if the song is good does it matter if it's written today or 20yrs ago? I fully support whatever is the best record that they can put together and if that means 90% (or more) 20yr old material then so be it.

Now...I'd also really like to hear Axl singing over something like Avalon / You're a lie / Dirty Girl / Withered Delilah etc. again though, and I don't think there was songs in the CD sessions like that. I haven't heard the material, but none of the songwriters have the style that I associate with those type of slinky / snakey Slash riff based music. I don't really care one way or the other though, just a decent rock record is enough at this stage.

33 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Queensryche (not massively successful, but still a big band) had old material that they combed through for their last few albums, the fans seemed to dig it. Megadeth combed through their vault during the the Dystopia sessions and their fans and critics loved it. I'd say it's a fairly common thing but a lot of bands don't get asked about it and they don't really bring it up because there's a stigma attached like "oh... so you can't write good songs anymore?? you have to use old stuff", which is BS. End of the day, if the song is good does it matter if it's written today or 20yrs ago? I fully support whatever is the best record that they can put together and if that means 90% (or more) 20yr old material then so be it.

Now...I'd also really like to hear Axl singing over something like Avalon / You're a lie / Dirty Girl / Withered Delilah etc. again though, and I don't think there was songs in the CD sessions like that. I haven't heard the material, but none of the songwriters have the style that I associate with those type of slinky / snakey Slash riff based music. I don't really care one way or the other though, just a decent rock record is enough at this stage.

Not "written", that wasn't the point. The point was former, long-gone musicians being presented on a new record. Of course there will be Ax's lyrics from the CD era, that's fine. 
I don't really know Q., so can't comment on that. 

8 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Not "written", that wasn't the point. The point was former, long-gone musicians being presented on a new record. Of course there will be Ax's lyrics from the CD era, that's fine. 
I don't really know Q., so can't comment on that. 

I don't know them either, I just came across a blabbermouth post where the new singer was making his case for the bands relevancy yesterday so it felt like an appropriate reference. 

8 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Josh, Brain, Matt, Steven... all people who have not been in the band for at least 15 years or more. Think we can safely say they won't be on any album!

Brain was still part of the band in 2009, rehearsing and doing stuff behind the scenes with the remixes. So not quite 15 years ago. He may still be involved. He's tight with Melissa too. Very tight. ;)

5 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

The closest/best/only example I can think of is Van Halens ‘A Different Kind Of Truth’…..which was well received!  But that’s literally the only comparison I can find. 🤣

VH redid and rerecorded those songs though, they didn't just put out the old recordings.

21 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Brain was still part of the band in 2009, rehearsing and doing stuff behind the scenes with the remixes. So not quite 15 years ago. He may still be involved. He's tight with Melissa too. Very tight. ;)

Why would he still be involved?